• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solution to M1031 generator control system using b4thundr Woodward Apecs controller

K9Vic

When I bought my M1031 March 2012 the generator did not work, but the PTO was fine and spun it. The original controller system was there and everything looked correct with the wiring. I read up on post and found that I had some wires melted due to the exhaust and fixed that. Checked all the connections and bypassed the shift safety as it was just not working and hanging up. All other safety switches are good. After I did all this the generator still did not kick in and the idle never changed. So I just put it off until about a month ago when I had some extra cash to try the solution by b4thundr.

So last week I fixed my M1031 generator with the modern controller that b4thundr has been offering here. It takes the place of all those components next to the electric panel with one simple controller only using 6 wires. All the other parts were fine, throttle actuator and magneto PTO sensor as I noted before. It was very simple to install and only took me about an hour. The unit needs to be programmed to work with the M1031 systems, it cannot just be bought off the shelf, but b4thundr takes care of the programming. My generator only had .6 hours on it when I bought the truck, it now has 1 hours. The 120v works testing a few power tools and also the air compressor works great.

I did some voltage testing and the output is about between 122v and 124v watching it for about 5mins. It did drop to about 117v when I turned on the air compressor, but that can happen on anyone's home when your AC kicks in. I tested the single & three phase 208v outlets individually and each PIN was about 115v, so total combined it would be like 230v. As long as I have good 120v power I am happy and it ran at 60Hz and only bounced do to about 59Hz at times.

So finally my M1031 is complete with working generator. It was not cheap to do this, but a M1031 without a working generator is just a waste of a CUCV maintenance truck.

Before with the old complex system. I tried everything I could to get it working, but nothing.

51e5b825.jpg
----

After with the Woodward Apecs 4500 controller. Worked immediately, did not have to tweak anything.

51e58504.jpg51e584de.jpg -----

Here is a video of the operation of the
Woodward Apecs 4500 controller.

http://youtu.be/x61kiY_3BYo

Skinny

Just out of curiosity, how much do you have wrapped up in the new controller between cost and installation parts? Mine works fine but has an intermitant loose connection on the circuit board which worries me with reliability. I'd like to replace just as precentative maintenance.

Also, the gen head is a standard 12 lead head. You can rewire it make whatever voltage you want including just 120v or 120/240 which is what I did. Rewired and swapped out the 208v plug for an L14-30 so I can plug into a standard home gen set outlet.

My hobbs meter had only .6 hours on it too. I'm assuming it was mostly preventative maintenance run ups...thank you Uncle Sam :)

Last edited:

K9Vic

I replaced mine because it did not work, but if you have issues like that you do not want it to go down when you need it. The technology was good in 1986/1990, but two decades later there are better ways to run the system.

I would rather have b4thundr comment on the cost of the unit as like allot of things prices went up after my purchase, so I do not want to give incorrect information. There was no extra cost to me from what I paid him for the controller, plug and programming except for a few connectors that is just a few dollars. I soldered everything with heat shrink on mine, so no butt connectors. I also took the PTO light and wired it to the switch so I know the unit is on. I was able to use the existing holes from the cover, so no need to drill any new ones.

I have the Frame 280 manual with the rewiring, so I may look into that and change out the plugs for the equipment I have. Plus it will give me power to run the minor household items in a power outage as I had the electric installer add a generator plug and beaker to not feed back out the power line.

Did you replace the air compressor motor with a single phase, leave it on three phase, or just not use it now?

Keith_J

The governor only controls frequency, voltage is controlled by the magnetic amplifier circuitry in the Lima MAC generator. NO electronics there, nothing to adjust. The Woodward governor system is an electronic affair, this new governor is a digital system so it should be much better on frequency droop, overspeed protection and ramp function.

Well, I'm not sure where to put this post, but there seems to be a good gathering of people with knowledge in this one location. I have old Colman Barber governor control for my M1031. It works intermittently. Took it apart and find out there is a burnt up resistor on the circuit board. I think I can get it working good again if I repair the resistor and the other 2 next to it that seem damaged. Does anyone have a board schematic or know the ohm values of the resistors that are burnt up because I can't see diddly-do on them any more.
image.jpg
Obviously, it's those three in the bottom left corner. If I can't get it running, these digital units look like a great solution.

Jlprober

Hey Fellas i have a Woodward DPG - 2223 - 00X Digital Controller Programmable Controllers for Isochronous Generators with Load Sharing Capability is this similar to the Woodward APEX 4500 controller that you are speaking of? I have the TM for it and it seems to work fine.

Jlprober

Also i was considering the installation of the NV4500 connected to a different transfer case and run the PTO through the NV4500 eliminating the operation of the PTO through the transfer case. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Got my new controller programed byb4thundr and installed it today. Took less than 2 hours, very easy to do. The generator works a brazilian times better now. Even if you have the old setup, you should trash it for this new digital unit. There are a few ways to wire these up. But I changed the pto indicator lamp to 12v, and changed out the governor circuit switch to illuminated switch so you know the unit is powered up when your in the cab.

Attachments

Skinny

I have a B4Thundr controller and it works great. I should have budgeted a replacement a long time ago. I kept all of the stock wiring for the safety switches. Of course if they ever give me an issue I can just jumper the relay and be back working but my switches have worked great since they have been cleaned and adjusted.

ke5eua

Just out of curiosity, how much do you have wrapped up in the new controller between cost and installation parts? Mine works fine but has an intermitant loose connection on the circuit board which worries me with reliability. I'd like to replace just as precentative maintenance.

Also, the gen head is a standard 12 lead head. You can rewire it make whatever voltage you want including just 120v or 120/240 which is what I did. Rewired and swapped out the 208v plug for an L14-30 so I can plug into a standard home gen set outlet.

My hobbs meter had only .6 hours on it too. I'm assuming it was mostly preventative maintenance run ups...thank you Uncle Sam :)
I would love to know more about rewiring it for 120/240 two phase standard home.

Hey guys,
I have these units for sale in the classified section.
Thanks,
Doug
Are these units still available?

My throttle actuator is not working. Can anyone tell me which service manual will have details about the unit?
Did you find a solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dependable

This manual has a diagram to reconnect for 120/240V 1 Phase in it. Diagram G on page 10.

You will probably have to get a 1 phase motor for compressor and rewire plug panel on truck, but that is not too difficult.

I made a "recconection box" out of a control panel for a MEP-018a which allows it, or most any other 12 lead generator, to be switched back and forth, but have yet to get around to putting it in truck. If anyone is interested, I'll find the thread I posted here about it, it was 3 or 4 years ago.

Attachments

Last edited:

Skinny

I had to replace my compressor motor which set me back a few hundred for a nice 240v unit. Your 3 phase unit is worth about nothing, I got $15 from someone with a project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks