• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

some info and help please.....

EKUgrad

I found this truck online and have not been able to find any more information on it. I was wondering what all would have to be done other than the obvious single axle conversion, power steering, crew cab conversion, and wheel changes to run this? Would it require a lift? How about the axles -- would you have to go up to 5 ton axles to handle these tires? Would you need to do an engine swap to get enough grunt to use the truck to pull a trailer with a small dozer/backhoe/tractor/hay/whatever?

Thanks guys, sorry for all the q's. I just wanted to know the feasiblity of the project before dumping a lot of $$$ into it.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EKUgrad,
First, about the only requirement of the board is for you to list your location in your signature. If you need help into doing so, let us know.

I have seen this particular picture before. If you wanted to pick up a deuce and modify it, there are several things that this vehicle has.

This one appears to be running super singles, has a front winch and a home made crew cab. Something most here would like. The engine is probably a multifuel diesel. Not sure if it has a turbo or not, given the exhaust stack. With a modified M105 (trailer) bed.

The only other thing you might want to 'add' to your list is perhaps running boards for the rear doors. I doubt you want people stepping on the fuel tank. Both the Idaho Motor Pool and Eastern Surplus Supply do this type of modification (called 'bobbing' the truck) and you could start there. I listed both their links below.

http://www.idahomotorpool.com/
http://www.easternsurplus.net/muddertext.html

Then you would have to fab the crew cab portion. You could go with a 5 ton truck or 5 ton axles, but depending on what your usage was, it's not completely necessary.

If you want to use it as a tow vehicle, several here would agree that it will work, but there are lots of other better vehicles for towing.

Let us know what you decided to do. Welcome to the forum!

mangus580

the ideal setup for this truck and the fuel tanks, would be to use a civvy fuel tank that has a step built into it. There was a number of trucks that were like that in the civvy market, and it sure would make it alot easier/safer to get in the back.

If you search the forum, Hot Rod Deuce is doing a crew cab project on one of his trucks.... and he has pics of his progress.

EKUgrad

Thanks fellas. The website listed above is where I found it. I emailed Dave at Eastern Surplus -- nice guy, tried to help in every way that he could, but said that the crew cab is too much work for what they do.

We currrently use a early 80's Chevy 2 ton to pull our farm equipment around. I was wanting to replace it with a modded deuce if it is feasible.

Thanks.

M1075

Doc-

I should have said "XZL" instead. 16.00x20 XZL are used by the Army & USMC on the Oshkosh vehicles (HEMTT, PLS, LVS, HET, MTVR) not on the 5 tons. 14.00s "XL" go on the 5 tons (M939 series) in the super single configuration and FMTV 5 tons use the smaller 46" 395/85R20 "XML". Confused yet?

M1075

The XML are not used on the 900 Series or the HEMTT. Also, there are no interchangeable tires between the 900 Series and the HEMTT (unless you are taking post DoD use/application)

M1075

Actually, HEMTT and PLS are now using the same tire. Michelin XZL 16.00R20. Original HEMTTs came with Michelin XL 16.00R20 but they are now being fielded/modded with 2 piece rims and the XZLs. They are the same size, just different tread pattern and the load rating might be different.

FSBruva

The bobber in question is a turbo multifuel, because if it were a gasser or a NA multi, the muffler would be underneath the passenger, and would be so quiet that a second one would be overkill.

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks