• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Someone save this 53 GMC

reitenger

Which axles does that thing come with? Is it just me or is it set up with a hitch on the back? I am seriously interested, but I have to justify it to myself first. The number is a CO number, so he is probably on the border to Cheyenne..

I hate when things like this pop up. If only I hadn't won the bid on the blazer at Carson last week then I wouldn't have to bother justifying it.

reitenger

cucv was the wife's purchase.
She wanted it for a winter rig and play toy. Far be it from me to mention selling her toy to buy me a new one.
I could get castrated suggesting that one.

Capt.Marion

Re: RE: Someone save this 53 GMC

reitenger said:
Which axles does that thing come with? Is it just me or is it set up with a hitch on the back? I am seriously interested, but I have to justify it to myself first. The number is a CO number, so he is probably on the border to Cheyenne..

I hate when things like this pop up. If only I hadn't won the bid on the blazer at Carson last week then I wouldn't have to bother justifying it.
it's got 2.5 ton axles (it's a Deuce, but one of the Korea ones with the 6 cyl gas engine and the GM hydramatic (I think) automatic transmission) and, yes, it does have a 5th wheel hitch on the back. Did these every enter service as a tractor configuration, oh 'those who know more than me'?

the m221 has the short tall fuel tank and this truck looks like thats what it has I would say its a m221 . this truck would be easy to drive around town and park . when going to dinner with the spouse . no bed to block your view and a little shorter then a m211 .

reitenger

OK, just got off the phone with the guy. It does start and run. Small fuel issue that sounds like it needs the fuel tank and pump cleaned up. Water pump needs a rebuild(?) as it leaks out the bottom. If it's still there on Monday i'm planning on buying it if he can keep it on his placde for a couple of weeks to let me get the place cleaned up down here to park it.

Is there a good source for parts for the engine?
TM?

Thanks for helping me talk myself out of this guys!!!!!!!!!

houdel

reitenger said:
Is there a good source for parts for the engine?
Chevrolet Dealer. IIRC, the engine is basically a militarized version of the old 232 cu in "Blue Flame" straight 6 cylinder engine that powered untold millions of Chevrolet passenger cars and pickup trucks. Engine parts should not be too much of a problem except for a few specialized military components, and even those parts should be fairly simple to find.

hippiedude

Keep you eyes on e-bay , parts show up all the time...There`s some tm`s in the resource section....Take lots of pics when you go look at it......If there are no data plates check the fram in front of the right front tire behind the bumper.should be xm or m221 plus 4 numbers....Tim

reitenger

Only thing I can't seem to find laying around online is the water pump. I would like to replace it and the belts before driving it down (made a decision). I may just have to see if someone in the Denver area can tow it down for me. Anyone in Denver with a deuce and a tow bar?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: water pump

The engine is a 302 cu in. GMC. Great engine. All parts are availiable. The water pump is re-buildable, but not for the above price.

Lee in Alaska

reitenger

Thanks Lee. I spent a good portion of the morning searching this site and the rest of the web seeing what I could learn. I still have a couple of pressing questions though, and i'll post them here versus a new thread as there are already some knowledgeable people on this rig and it looks like an owner or two tuned in.

I want to grab the basics to get this thing moving before driving 100 miles to grab it.
Can I get the basic filters, belts and anything else I am overlooking from Napa?
If so, does anyone have the parts numbers handy?

Thanks for all the good info guys.

napa belts gen 25-28583 air compressor 25-28501 no napa oil filter numder you can call Memphis equipment at 901-774-0600 they have some parts for these trucks . also boyce equipment 801-393-0007 and antilope valley equipment 661-945-6788

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks