• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Someone save this 53 GMC

hippiedude

If you check E-Bay #160272918254 (deuceman51) has oil filters $15.00 buy now price......Use 10w30 nondetergent motor oil......get 2 cases 1 for the motor and 1 for the trany....But check the trany first to make sure it don`t have atf in it........if it dose you mite want to stay with it (atf)........Tim

reitenger

The tranny used regular motor oil originally? That's interesting. Going to have to get the TM downloaded this afternoon. I was hoping the filter was something that could be had locally, but if it's an order item I guess i'll wait until I get the truck home and then order a handful so I have them on hand.

I had forgotten all about antelope valley.

reitenger

Guess what I bought today? It will be a few weeks before I get it home. It is in desperate need of a few tires before it can make the trip in my opinion. I'm going to have to see if I can find someone here that can tow it down for me after I get some tires on it. Overall pretty decent, but the hitch setup is gone. I'll try to get some of the pics I took today up in a minute.

reitenger

I really found the whole 2 rear driveshaft setup to be a bit odd. Took a minute to get used to when I started looking at it. With a couple of batteried in it and a snort of gas it started right up. Wife says it would look great with a couple of feet added onto the back of the cab so that we could put in rear seating for the kids.......

Reminds me why I asked her to marry me.

nattieleather

You have a restorable truck there. You should be able to get the 5th wheel from a military 5ton to put on it. I think they are the same, The military ones move front to back and side to side on their tilt or axis. Good save!

FreightTrain said:
what is that splattered all over it?did a flock of seagulls do a carpet bombing run?
hmm that rather looks like a well put retarded cluster-drop from an osprey on a high speed level run from the 2 o'clock position.

Nice truck, I agree that this an excellent restoration project! I love those restoration posts with photographs, so keep us up to date with your project [thumbzup] !

Cheers,
Mark

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FreightTrain said:
what is that splattered all over it?did a flock of seagulls do a carpet bombing run?
Looks like it was a paintball target to me.

Great save! Thanks for giving this old beast a good home!

reitenger

The more I think about it Bob the more I think i'm going to do it back as a tractor. If I need a bed, it gives me an excuse to buy another one. that's what the back lot at work is for.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow great save it looks to be in very good condition for it's age. The gas engine is a great one as mentioned earlier and how cool is an automatic duece.

I know the tires look bad but running them without load they would probably get you home. Don't air them all the way up put 50 PSI in them and drive slow I have driven dump trucks lots of miles with tires cracked worse than those.

Thanks for posting these and what an opportunity to bring it home and build a camper on the back deck for the kids. I know that it is not the standard but if the wife wants to bring the kids and likes the CUCV think about a mod to make her happy.

reitenger

The tires are way worse in person. Denver FEMA was who bought it from the military originally back in the day. Odometer reads less than a thousand miles since FEMA titled it.

I really want to do it back the way it was, but the more I look at things, the wife's idea is kind of cool too..... Just add 30 inches to the cab.. Think anyone would notice?

nattieleather

Not to many M221 out there in restored condition. In fact I don't remember ever seeing one. Most have been converted in some way...So my vote (for what it's worth) is to restore it back to original and get another vehicle for the kids to ride in... :)

Capt.Marion

nattieleather said:
Not to many M221 out there in restored condition. In fact I don't remember ever seeing one. Most have been converted in some way...So my vote (for what it's worth) is to restore it back to original and get another vehicle for the kids to ride in... :)
Nice catch. And I agree with Mr. Leather... there are some trucks that you just don't mod. Blow a couple thousand on a modern deuce to haul the kids in....