• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soon to own M101 A2

Ressoldier

Woo HOO Recovery Post

So departed a little after 0600(stopped for Coffee and Doughnut) and made the treck to Nellis AFB. Arrived right at 1100hrs for scheduled pick-up. Hooked up and pulled outside the gate to mount my lights and fixa wiring issue with vehicle side 4 pin plug.

Stopping at State Line for lunch on way back.

Stopping to check it out off-road real quick on way back. Nothing big since I was solo vehicle and wanted to get home.

Double checking it was still there, it pulls really nice. I avg 18mpg on way out and then 16mpg on way home with trailer. There were a lot of big long grades.

2Tracker

Nice trailer

Glad to hear you made it home safe! We talked shortly at the gate while you were getting your trailer ready for the trip back. I won my bid and will pick mine up next week. Thanks for the info on this website, it's great!

Ressoldier

Glad to hear you made it home safe! We talked shortly at the gate while you were getting your trailer ready for the trip back. I won my bid and will pick mine up next week. Thanks for the info on this website, it's great!
Congrats on winning. Nice meeting you and glad I could help you find this site. I think between here and the other site you should be able to find all the information you need to make yours a geat build. I take it you were bidding on the one that did not require an EUC if you are picking it up next week? If it requires an EUC, dont be surprised if it takes a month or so.

Ressoldier

Paint scheme is frame, underside of box inner wheel wells black. Outside of box matching white or 08 FJ cruiser Sand and truck painted to match. The metal brackets for the side rails and bows powder coated to match armor(bumpers, sliders roof rack) on truck, wood on the rails light medium stained hardwood. Inside of box will be line-x.

The tarp that was in it is shredded so going in hte trash. I will be looking for a tan tarp in the future.

2Tracker

Hi Ressoldier,

I finally pulled mine home today. I had some EUC issues but Chris at Nellis and Ann Marie (GL) fixed everything for me within 24 hrs. Can't wait to see what you do with your trailer and start on mine.

Ressoldier

Ordered my new axle today and also the metal for my new tongue.

Axle
Dexter 3500# round tube 3" with EZ-lube hubs, 10x2.25 electric brakes with parking brake feature. 43.25" Center spring pads, 64" hub face to hub face.

Metal for new Tongue
7' of receiver tube
10' C channel same size as frame.

Should be about 2 weeks before I get materials and start modification. Right now the frame is on floor of garage and bed is standing on edge in garage.

Ressoldier

Well I finally got around to working on the new tongue. Here are the pictures so far of progress made today. I am hoping to go in to the shop tomorrow after work and finish the welds, and flip the trailer over and put the axle on.
Hole through front crossmember

Doubler plate and reciever tube in place

Added the sides and also the tongue jack.

Still plan on adding some triangle gussets on the second crossmember and reciever tube. As well as anything else I happen to notice or feel needs reinforcement.
I welcome any input on the progress so far.

Ressoldier

Mark,
It should still ride nice and level with the new tongue. If you look closely the Hydraulic actuator/lunette assembly is above the tongue and inline with the main box frame originally. The enw tongue I am building is inline with the frame and should put my new coupler at same height as original. Hoping to get the gussets and axle on today after work.

Ressoldier

So while I was at work the great crew at Outdoor Logic welded in the gussets, mounted the axle and even made lower shock mounts.

So the trailer is on its wheels and almost ready to be towed again as the base chasis. I will be working on wiring it next.

Ressoldier

It might end up with the tongue slightly lower than the back of the trailer. I put a level on it and it measures about 2" higher than my trailer mount. Now this is without the weight of the bed or actually being hooked up to the truck. I did increase the tire size so that I am running the same size tires on trailer and tow vehicle to be fully interchangable. Will keep you posted on anymore pictures and progress.

harleyhouse

Soyou went with an axle that matches the toyota bolt pattern so you don't need to carry a seperate spare? I lucked out with my trailer being an 8 bolt with GM bolt pattern.

Electric brakes too?
Looks great!
Even just a frame and it looks good!

Ressoldier

Axle= 3500# Dexter with 3" tube(should have stuck with 2 3/8") 10x2.25" Electric brakes, 6x5.5 lug pattern with the parking brake feature. The parking brake feature added another $90 or $100 to cost of axle but to me it was worth it. $380 total for axle and 10 day build time, which didnt matter since i have had the trailer since end of September and just went to work on it this week.

Break down of expenses so far:
Trailer- $210
New Axle- $380
Max Coupler- $225
Steel for tongue-$125
Electrical parts- $85
Total- $1025

Part sold
Old axle & tongue- $300
Side rails/bows- $200
Total cost- $525

Last edited: