• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sparta M923 recovery and trip home

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mighty fine looking truck Hoefler I am heading to Fort Riley Wed. morning to pick up my 925, this is my first 5 ton and looking very forward to seeing and learning all the new systems! Great luck with the trucks if they run as nice as they look you should be in fine shaper!
KK

Hoefler

Thank you for the nice comment.
Post pictures when you get yours-925 is a nice looking truck. The 923 I recovered was my first 5-ton. The power steering works well, the cab noise is low compared to other MV's. Pretty nice driving at highway speed with the tach at 2,000 RPM. These are nice trucks-they seem more modern than even an A3.
Did find some patches of freeway, mostly the newer concrete sections got the truck to ride like a bucking bronco. Must be the length of the concrete sections that square with the wheelbase-a few hobby horse events had the rears almost coming of the ground.

Chain-Saw

Well, we made it home about 1600 today, and I am happy to announce yet another uneventful recovery of an M923 from Sparta. Thanks to Mike and Seth for running what I truly believe is one of the best GL sites out there. Also confirmed that my toolbox was indeed still locked. But,,, since it's dark now, and I've already consumed my ration of Scotch in celebration, I'm not allowed to look in the box until tomorrow. I'll be sure to post pictures of any discoveries.

Attachments

Hoefler

Hey-I better check my truck is still out back!-She looks just like mine. I agree that Sparta is well run, well organized-looks clean and straight. Mike and Seth are great guys-they have helped me when there.
Did you notice the two Oshkosh big water trucks? These would make great portable hot tubs.:razz:

O.D. Fever

I had a locked tool box one one truck... We cut the lock and it was full of virgins,,, I mean Virginians.. Uncle Sam must have been shipping it to Iraq to kick some Ass.:shock:

Chain-Saw

A hot-tub sounds good right about now:). I definitely feel better than I did after my M35A3 recovery though!! I'd probably fit behind the wheel better if I still weighed the same as I did back in '85 when our unit was issued these trucks, but man, what a trip to be able to re-live my miss-spent youth today!

Hoefler

Here are a few pictures of my Sparta M932. Had to hide it at a friend on mines house. Many thanks to Scott for letting me hide this thing from the wife and kids so I could develop "the story". She may not notice the difference between this one and the three others I have-especially after they all have the same paint job. Picked it up and drove her to my place of business this evening. She is a fine truck under the lights. May title with Minnesota farm plates to get around the CDL deal. Have a small plot of land that I do a lot of tree cutting (oak wilt) on. Its legit that way. Enjoy the pictures-I sure do!

Attachments

Last edited:

cx65083

I just picked up my 105 there a week ago. Nice lot... spent ,more time drooling than actually hooking up to the trailer! Nice guys, afraid I'd get turned away because I was a lil excited to get out the door and forgot to schedule an appointment.... ALWAYS CALL AHEAD! I was lucky and it was slow, so they snuck me in between two load outs... THANKS GUYS!
Still haven't gotten my m813 registered yet.... how bad is it in WI for plates on 5 tons?
Charles

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL she might not notice the difference.... Sounds like you have a collection then. Looks nice! I hope to get one soon myself, but my wife would definitely notice two versus one MV.... :)

Hoefler

Weather should be good. Watch out for the heater fan motor. If you turn fan on, you will see charge meter drop-make certain motor is turning. If not, dont run fan. They must not be fuse protected-my wire at motor got super hot. Mine was siezed-perhaps its the way they are mounted. Other than that, no issue.
Let me know how the downshift from 2 to 1 feels in your truck.

cruz

Just got home. I will post pics later tonight. Nothing exciting happened, which is a good thing. Only thing wrong is batteries are bad. Drove home 4 hours and batteries are still dead. 3 batteries read 12.5 volts and 1 is 12.1. Down shifting is firm but not bad. 2nd to first was Very firm when cold but once warm it seemed the same as all other down shifts