• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speed/Gearing/Tire size?!?!

AJMBLAZER

Living in the snow belt I've been in 4x4 past 55mph (not in the pickup though). However I think unless you plan on blasting around in it during one of your famous ice storms you should be fine.

Croatan_Kid

Swapping to a 700R4 and then running 35-37 inch tires will be a great addition to highway driving. Either one by themselves isn't as effective as both together. I'm gunna swap in the 700R4 and run some 35s with no lift, then the next step will be to turbo it. Besides, you can make some of your money back by selling the TH400 trans and transfer case adapter and maybe even by selling them all separately (adapter, trans, tq converter, etc), depends on who wants it and what for. I'll let you know how my swap goes. We're building the trans this weekend provided that my parts come in by Friday. I now have $650 in big, beefy parts to make my trans hold up to more abuse than any 6.2 could ever throw at it. Keep an eye out and you might get lucky like I did and somebody might give you a trans and then offer to build it for you :D I'll take pics and provide a complete parts list and even some prices if you want.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

beetleswamp

I just found out that the General Ameri550 AS tires that were on the truck when I bought it are the replacements for the infamous exploding Wilderness AT''s and turned out to be EVEN WORSE. There's a big crease running down the side and at 70psi they drive like shit and I have major death wobble issues (probably needs a kingpin spring/bushing and some other worn steering components as well).

This truck really scared the crap out of me yesterday when I got the death wobble no less than five times in five minutes on the way to work. I'm begging the guys at 4wheel parts wholesale to shoe me in to the schedule tomorrow.

Right now I have 235/85/16 (31.5") and they said they could do the Pro Comp 285/75/16 285/75/16 (33") for about $900 install. The speed limits are here are relatively low and I'm looking for good mileage, a good road ride, and long life so hopefully these will fit the bill.

BTW with the 31.5's I'm stuck at about 50-55 right now. I"m not sure what the RPM's are but it would be nice to have just a wee bit more top end.

CCATLETT1984

what procomp tires are you going with?
once the new tires are on you will notice a huge difference in the wobble. also replace the steering stabilizer (if you havent already)
for the kingpins buy the kit that has the replacement nylon bushing in it. make sure the you have to use a clamp to squeeze the cap down enough to start the bolts, this will put enough pressure on the spring. also check for play in the draglink ends (known issues)

AJMBLAZER

Still...the max psi was what, 90? You shouldn't have to run half that in an unloaded truck.

Even my 11.00R16's shouldn't require 40psi as the truck will normally be operated.

beetleswamp

CCATLETT1984 said:
what procomp tires are you going with?
once the new tires are on you will notice a huge difference in the wobble. also replace the steering stabilizer (if you havent already)
for the kingpins buy the kit that has the replacement nylon bushing in it. make sure the you have to use a clamp to squeeze the cap down enough to start the bolts, this will put enough pressure on the spring. also check for play in the draglink ends (known issues)

I was going to go with just the straight AT's for now. The ATX's are really expensive and it's not likely the Mud Terrains will see much use in their natural element until I know more about the vehicle and have taken the time to address all the neglect. Chances are if I tried to off road it in present condition the windshield would pop out. Not joking.

Thanks for the tips. I'll ask the tire shop to check that stuff out while it's on the lift.

Goatwerks

Croatan_Kid said:
Swapping to a 700R4 and then running 35-37 inch tires will be a great addition to highway driving. Either one by themselves isn't as effective as both together. I'm gunna swap in the 700R4 and run some 35s with no lift, then the next step will be to turbo it. Besides, you can make some of your money back by selling the TH400 trans and transfer case adapter and maybe even by selling them all separately (adapter, trans, tq converter, etc), depends on who wants it and what for. I'll let you know how my swap goes. We're building the trans this weekend provided that my parts come in by Friday. I now have $650 in big, beefy parts to make my trans hold up to more abuse than any 6.2 could ever throw at it..
It doesn't matter what you do to a th700r4(4L60), big tires will eventually overstress the sun gear shell(rev reaction shell). It's the sad truth :roll: Been building these since they first came out in 83 and ended with the early 93 year models.
You will however enjoy higher road spees and better fuel economy :twisted: