• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speed of the M37

tnbender

Hey, I have a 51 M37 and I was talking to a guy who has two m37. He swares that the M37 was made to only travel 35 MPH... He said he was trying to drive his 40-45 and blew the motor. Is this true? Also, I really need closeups of the dash of a correct M37. I think mine has been modified a great bit and I would like a guide to know how to correct it. Thanks!

CGarbee

The factory specification when new is:
Top Speed 55 MPH, Range 150 miles (6mpg)
This speed is also stamped on the max speeds dataplate on the dash.

From a practical standpoint, think 45-50 with a stock truck.

If he blew the motor at 45-50, he likely had something going on... ie, there is more to the story than just going at that speed...

A couple of shots of my friend Steve's restored M37's dash:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/Otherfollks/stevem37/112-1251_IMG.JPG
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/Otherfollks/stevem37/113-1334_IMG.JPG

Dash on one of my unrestored trucks that is correct except for having the fording cable replaced with a toggle switch... (you can see the shadow in the paint where the dataplate for the fording cable t-handle was, plate was rectangular and fit around the hole that the handle went through).
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/bluem37/bluem37 027.jpg

A really good explanation of what goes where on the dash are the views (photos with lables) in the Operator's Manual... (and I think it is copied in the Power Train, Body, and Frame TM as well).

Good luck.

acetomatoco

Running against the governor all day long will not hurt the puppy if all systems are lubed correctly and timed correctly with tire inflation right etc... A good test is high range 3 rd... should hold 31 MPH...as I remember from the data plate...when floored... The governor has a purpose and that purpose is to prevent overrevving...happy motoring and enjoy the squeaky brakes... ACE

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easiest way to increase speed in the -37 to normal road speeds is to change the gear ratios of the axles, and get slightly bigger tires, like 11.00x16s. You can easily bring highway speeds up to 65 or so.

Downside is that 6,000 lbs going 65mph is dangerous, and hard to stop, so expect to invest in modern disk brakes for your power wagon.

FobyFo247

i have had mine going about 45mph and the motor was fine. the steering was very shaky though and im glad i had the steering stabilizer on.

SasquatchSanta

The 230 Chrysler is good for 2,500 which equates to 45 MPH.

When you get over 2500 RPM you will pickup a vibration. Close to 2600 the unballanced engine will start wanting to jump out of the frame rails.

One of the worst mistakes I made when I rebuilt my 230 motor was not having it balanced.

I've seen properly built 230s run well and long when governed out at 3,300 RPM. Having said this, regardless of what the data plates say, if you try to drive a stock M37 over 45 MPH (2,500 RPM) for any length of time figure on bringing along a whisk broom and a bushel basket to clean up the scattered parts with

Mark_Ellis

Just thought I would throw my two cents to further confuse anyone reading this. I do and have driven my M37 with a stock 230 at 55mph for about an hour at a time.... many, many times. I have stock running gear, sta lug tires and the electronic ignition mod. Disc brakes too. I have no problems running at that speed and so far have not needed a bucket for the motor. Knock on wood... lol that it continues but I don't think 55mph on flat ground is too much. Does it run a little less labored at around 45-50? I would say yes but depending on where you are driving it may also cause you to have a car drive up your butt...lol. I agree that a down hill 60 is a little un-nerving although I had done it a few times, it didn't make the engine come apart. 50-55 on flat ground should be fine. It may take adjusting the govnr to allow it but if the engine is healthy shouldnt' cause a problem. One thing I have noticed with the tube type tires... is that they tend to follow any ruts in the road which can be an adventure on a narrow two lane road in rural Maryland at any speed above 45mph. I try to stay clear of roads that have a noticable rut. (yes paved road) If I can' t avoid it, I do slow down a good bit.

For what it's worth,
Mark Ellis

Mark_Ellis

Just thought I would throw my two cents to further confuse anyone reading this. I do and have driven my M37 with a stock 230 at 55mph for about an hour at a time.... many, many times. I have stock running gear, sta lug tires and the electronic ignition mod. Disc brakes too. I have no problems running at that speed and so far have not needed a bucket for the motor. Knock on wood... lol that it continues but I don't think 55mph on flat ground is too much. Does it run a little less labored at around 45-50? I would say yes but depending on where you are driving it may also cause you to have a car drive up your butt...lol. I agree that a down hill 60 is a little un-nerving although I had done it a few times, it didn't make the engine come apart. 50-55 on flat ground should be fine. It may take adjusting the govnr to allow it but if the engine is healthy shouldnt' cause a problem. One thing I have noticed with the tube type tires... is that they tend to follow any ruts in the road which can be an adventure on a narrow two lane road in rural Maryland at any speed above 45mph. I try to stay clear of roads that have a noticable rut. (yes paved road) If I can' t avoid it, I do slow down a good bit.

For what it's worth,
Mark Ellis

SasquatchSanta

The 230 Chrysler is an unbalanced industrial engine.

At around 45 MPH/2,500 RPM you will start to pick up a vibration.

The vibration is the engine talking to you.

Keep knocking on wood. :)

zak

I have the canadian model and every thing is completely rebuilt. Every bearing(except the differential pigs) seal, bushing, tie rod,and ujoints have been replaced. New tires have been ballanced. I bypassed the governer internally so it still looks original. I get no vibration at all but 50 seems to me its top speed. It just screams so loud(trans and transfer case noise) that I don't want to push my luck

Attachments

citizensoldier

zak said:
I have the canadian model and every thing is completely rebuilt. Every bearing(except the differential pigs) seal, bushing, tie rod,and ujoints have been replaced. New tires have been ballanced. I bypassed the governer internally so it still looks original. I get no vibration at all but 50 seems to me its top speed. It just screams so loud(trans and transfer case noise) that I don't want to push my luck
You have the 251 flathead also.. This is a much better engine in my opinion.. Can take a little more abuse and has more power. :D

citizensoldier

Yes I have a completely re-built 251 sitting in the shop right next to a rebuilt 230.. I am putting them both together right now.. electic igninion and all the little do dads back on them. I should have the Canadian truck back on the road about the end of November. I foung a crank in a Chrysler 251 marine engine. Only issue I had was the end shaft on the crank. I had to have them machine it down and sleeve it for the timing chain gear. It was a little bit smaller for the gear driven stuff on a marine engine but not small enough to sleeve it.
It balanced out perfect too!! She should be a ripper when done... maybe even get 56 MPH...LOL..

1958 M274

I regularly drive both my Dad's M37 and my WC-51. Both trucks are completely original and will easily and smoothly run up to 55 on level ground, but I usually take back roads and drive between 40 and 45. I just sit back and enjoy the ride, no need to be in a hurry. If you have to get there fast, don't take an old Dodge...

FWIW: I agree about balancing the engines. If I ever have to rebuild either of those engines they will most likely get balanced. Best I can tell the WC engine is original and unrebuilt since it was installed new when the truck was overhauled in 1945.

CGarbee

alphadeltaromeo said:
What does Cabel's diesel conversion get on mph?
77mph with the current combination: ZF S5-42 five speed, 4.89 gears in the diffs, 900r16 Michelin XZL. Currently has the 2600rpm governor spring installed.

I have a post in another thread that list some of the other work needed when you go this fast such as seatbelts, disc brakes, rebuilt steering (heck, let's just say every bolt on the truck has been touched...), and improved lighting...

Oh, don't forget that I average above 20mpg around town and had it up around 30mpg on the Convoy to Aberdeen last spring (when I kept it around 50mph...).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks