• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

speedo/tach combo?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, sorry if this is a re-post, but I didn't find this on a search. I thought I had been around long enough to know what gauges come in a deuce or 5-ton dash. I was searching on GL today and came up with some pics of a speedo/tach combo gauge. Weird, I haven't seen that before. Anyone have the lowdown on this gauge? I thought maybe it was one of those tach-o-graph machines, but it looks different from that. Sorry the pics are so blurry. Blame the GL guy :)

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
tackograph……

Now try searching with that….also see Tom Bauer's M621

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
See, I thought maybe that's what it was, but since there wasn't a wide shot of the dash I couldn't tell for sure. I've read about the tach-o-graph before. I love how the one goes to 80 MPH, ROTFL!

acetomatoco

I have the two versions of the Tachograph for sale...brand new... they cost $1100 each, but you can have mine for $200 ea.. They were used on the 800 series dumptrucks, too I believe.. I know the M911 has em for sure... As far as the ROFL regarding 80 MPH... it is just a civilian instrument used on large commercial trucks which can go to 80 mph.. by the way.. Secondly if ya need another laugh, look at a Half Track Speedometer...

acetomatoco

Of course, Soldier #1 would never coast downhill in neutral to try to get to 80, so his motor sergeant would take away his weekend pass for abusing the equipment..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure is a lot of info on one gauge!
Great looking gauge panel there L Jones.

Jones

Thanks for the kind words Bill,
the additional quarter-sized holes are for gauge illumination, a low air warning and a high beam indicator.
In addition to a standard gauge set plus an addition temp. for trans., the three down the left side are exh. temp., boost, and dual needle air pressure (one needle for resv. pres. and one for brake pipe pres.).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to the 5-ton section of the PS Magazine library for more on the tachograph.
Leonard, is the clock wind-up or electric and how do you set the time (too lazy to look it up.. :oops: )? I had one sitting here last year before it was sold, but don't remember if a key was required. BTW, it came from an M52A2 truck tractor.

Does it have internal illumination, your other gauges do, right?

Attachments

Jones

Bjorn
The clock is electric and is set by opening the face to get at the adjustment knob. The tachograph and all the gauges are internally lit-- the panel lights are just to keep the mil. veh. dash panel look. The low air warning light and the high beam indicator will be functional though.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I managed our Tachograph program through our Truckmaster in my M 915 equipted truck companies. The great thing about a tach program is that the paper disc is a legal document. From it my guys could tell what gear the driver was in at what point he applied the brakes and could be used in a court of law to convict or exhonerate a driver in an accident or speeding ticket. They require a card to be in them at all times when the truck is running or the recording mechanism gets messed up and it takes a factory rep to fix it ( at least in the Army it was that way). This is one way I know for sure that an M915 with the 16 speed Cat airshift can do over 100 MPH when the engine is running well.

Jones

Right on the graph disc having to be in or the tachograph gets messed up David. However, if you don't need the graph (general handling of the tachograph while on the bench or non-commercial ops.), Argo makes a teflon disc that keeps the stylus from being damaged. That's what's currrently in mine though for any road trips I'll slip in some graph discs for exactly the reasons you stated. Good to have hard evidence of what was , and wasn't, going on-- not only from an accident/citation standpoint but also to monitor general operation.

CGarbee

acetomatoco said:
They were used on the 800 series dumptrucks, too I believe...

Just as an FYI, the M817 dumptruck does not use a tachograph. Just a plain ol' tachometer and a speedometer mounted side by side...

I helps that I have a tipper in the backyard to look at... :)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also don't think they were used in the M939 series trucks...or, perhaps, you were referring to the M915s and the like that David references.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CGarbee said:
acetomatoco said:
They were used on the 800 series dumptrucks, too I believe...

Just as an FYI, the M817 dumptruck does not use a tachograph. Just a plain ol' tachometer and a speedometer mounted side by side...

I helps that I have a tipper in the backyard to look at... :)
The TM 9-2320-260-20 (including the M817) has a 25-page section on the tachograph, so some must have had them. Also, the M915 series manual has a section on the tachograph.
Like I stated above, the M52A2 (5-ton tractor) also must have had a few since mine was a take-out from one.

rmgill

I think they were generally given to transportation companies as opposed to direct support companies. The Transportation companies are going to be driving long distances on a regular basis so it makes more sense there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks