• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

speedo/tach combo?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That and the legal ramifications of an Army truck operating in a SOFA area on the host countries roads almost mandated the installation on the trucks pulling loads on the highways or autobahns on a regular basis. One the 915 16 speed trucks in Germany it was common to have 16th gear locked out by having a tamper resistant bar installed across the shift tower keeping the slapstick from going all the way to the rear. This was because too many of them were racing Beemers on the Autobahn.

M1075

David- I know the other trucks in the M915 series are heavier and have a lower gear package (6.17 vs. 4.44), but do you have any knowledge on top end speed for the M916, M917, M918, M919 or M920? The -10 indicates 59 MPH @ 2100 RPM, but it also says 67 MPH for the M915!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The 916-20 series in our sister company the 642 Engineers were much slower. Since they were equipt with the driving front axle. But all the early 91X serires trucks that had the CAT airshift had a better top end if the Cummins was tuned and running strong. 16th gear could really get them going as they flew past my CUCV in which I was doing 85 MPH in North Dakota headed to Minneapolis the Deadhead 915's ran away from me and I didn't catch them for three hours till they hit the traffic around the twin cities. I had one whole serial pulled over in NE Connecticut for doing 90 MPH early one morning. I had warned them on the convoy brief about the cops on the interstate and every driver got a ticket for close to $200.00.

The live front axle trucks never did much long haul driving and from what I remember they were never seen going anywhere close to what our 915's could do. Of course when the trucks were pulling loaded M872 trailers they could not get up to those speeds on anything but a saltflat or a road with similar lack of grade. If I ever get a chance to pick up a M915 for a reasonable price I would just to round out my transportation collection.

CGarbee

TM 9-2320-260-10, Section 2-4. CHASSIS CONTROLS AND INDICATORS has an illustration on page 2-2 showing the instrument panel with tachometer and speedometer side by side with a note “on all vehicles except M818". It also has an illustration on page 2-3 showing the tachograph on the instrument panel with the smaller guages to mounted to the right of the tachograph has a note “on M818 only.

I find it interesting that the only M809 series truck deemed needy of a tachograph was the tractor varient...

I have no thoughts about the other five ton series since I don't own any other than a M817 (and only have five ton manuals for the M809 series) although I have been keeping my eyes open for other vehicles to add to the motor pool (ie, a M813...).

eddiec

yes, they do require a key to open the face. i have a new one, with the install kit, but it does not have the tach built into it.and the one i have reads 100 mph, 160 kph.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks