• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin on fliters... time to do some trading!!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MATT said:
I covert all of our trucks to a spin on primary fuel filter. If anyone is interested I have some pics.
The primary fuel filter on the deuce is a combination water separator/fuel filter. I'm curious how that's handled by the spin-on version. I don't see any drain.
My primary fuel filter element is also cleanable. Last time it started to clog up, I just wiped the element off and reinstalled it. It was covered with tiny rust flakes from my "new" fuel tank....
I'm on my second filter element in more than ten years, hardly a need for a spin-on conversion.

On the oil filter conversion, I'm perplexed by the effort to try to change to spin-ons. If the canisters are installed without a twisting motion, they don't leak.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, the 1458 is supposed to be an ant drain back filter. Will that be a source for quite a mess when changing filters? I don't know if the anti drain back would cause it to retain oil until it was removed. Also, what effect will orientation have on filters? Will the bypass or drainback valves be affected if the filter is mounted in a different orientation as its originally designed?

Adamlee

filters, oil and fuel, rambling

Well, it was merely a coincidence, but a few days back I went ahead and replaced all 3 fuel filters with stock filters....just one of the many things on my to-do list. In the 5 years I've owned my deuce, I've put no significant miles on the truck. When I got it from Ft. Meade, all it needed was batteries...and it ran fine....but besides an oil/filter change I have never done the fuel filters.

Here's what I found in the primary: some gritty residue in the bottom of the housing, but no H20. In the secondary, and final filters, no H20, no significant residue. Guess I'm lucky....but what I'm thinking is, the truck probably has been sitting there with the same fuel filters since the early 90's at Ft. Meade....and it runs great anyway.

These multifuels are pretty stubborn things....thank goodness for MAN in Germany....now if Fred will hurry up and pull that non-turbo exhaust off his truck and let me get to work again on mine....

Oh yeh, also finally put the desert tan canvas top on the truck, it was a government contract top I got a few years ago that was part of an order for Israel or something. Anyway, it looks good and once we get the deuce covered in some sherwin-williams CARC tan, it'll look even better. And, yes, it's true......nopics

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For EVERYONE. Haven't you ever done something DIFFERENT. JUST TO DO IT DIFFERENT FROM EVERYONE ELSE?

I know you all have or you would NOT own an MV at all. You would own a minivan.

So, allow me to say that I hear the 'beat of a different drummer'. ACTUALLY, I hear a completely different band. 'Old Blue Eyes' comes to mind...

jim

PS - the costs from Saturn Surplus show the filter and gaskets cost the same as the spin on filter. Basically $12.50 - so that's a wash.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks