• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin-on Fuel Filters

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And that was that.
Everybody has the most wonderful, easy to change, best fuel filters on their truck now.
Everybody put in spin on filters that don't need to be changed anymore due to installation
of the "at the tank outlet" 3 micron filters.
I expect these engines to run another 50 years.[/QUOTE

Believe I asked before but as long as your getting the correct head pressure then your system works great. If I remember stock primary fuel filter was a 10 micron. If I remember some old ones looked more like just cleanable filter and wonder if they were even a higher number it was more of water trap / large particle filter to protect booster. If I remember stock in tank TM said if we had 4 to 7 psi it was with in specs. You and others replaced that with the parker and getting 10 or more psi. One would think that is going to help the booster pump from cavating. Not that is a bad place to put you 2 micron filter but wonder if it does put more of a strain on the booster to have to pull the fuel rather than push it through a tight filter.

Last edited:

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And that was that.
Everybody has the most wonderful, easy to change, best fuel filters on their truck now.
Everybody put in spin on filters that don't need to be changed anymore due to installation
of the "at the tank outlet" 3 micron filters.
I expect these engines to run another 50 years.[/QUOTE

Believe I asked before but as long as your getting the correct head pressure then your system works great. If I remember stock primary fuel filter was a 10 micron. If I remember some old ones looked more like just cleanable filter and wonder if they were even a higher number it was more of water trap / large particle filter to protect booster. If I remember stock in tank TM said if we had 4 to 7 psi it was with in specs. You and others replaced that with the parker and getting 10 or more psi. One would think that is going to help the booster pump from cavating. Not that is a bad place to put you 2 micron filter but wonder if it does put more of a strain on the booster to have to pull the fuel rather than push it through a tight filter.
since converting down to 8 micron on my primary and 2 micron on my secondary I have not seen any issue, I still get the right amount of PSI and starting up is actually easier.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you upgrade the in tank pump too? If my truck has sat awhile I let my stock pump pump awhile before I hit the starter and she goes on the first push of the button. Mine replacement's from NAPA primary, 10 secondary, 6 final.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The very best one can do for the engine is to put a proper fuel filters.
Don't ask me, I just did it the cheapest and best way to get that done.
Filtering fuel, is good and the proper way.

And, I give the solution away for free to preserve these trucks.
Also, any other diesel fired unit, It is cheap.

but I see nobody even asks?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe from reading lots of people have up graded the secondary and final to spin on. I think the booster pump could handle more that our IP ever could. My perfect set up would be like what has been done or Parker up grade in tank pump. Primary water filter 30/20 micron then after the booster secondary a 10 micron then final 2 micron. That way no one filter has to carry the whole load. That is why I use the stock canisters but use a NAPA 10 secondary and NAPA 6 final. Now if there were adapters for my stock final filter base and then I could drop from a spin on 10 or 6 micron then final go 2 micron. Then all my tighter filters are after the booster. I would not even care if the filters in secondary and final were different colors/make of filter. White Wix secondary spin on, Cat yellow final spin on as long as I am stepping down.
Frank you said you are bypassing some of the pressure from the new parker pump. Myself I would let it rip and give the booster all the pressure the parker makes. I understand you have in mind to polish the fuel more but I wonder how much fuel the system is circulating when the engine is in use. Would seem as though we are always polishing our fuel.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks