• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spindle bearings part numbers

jimmyjimwas

Hello. Hi I have a 86 m1008 and went to get yearly inspection and they say need new bearings on passenger side Front so I said ok ill do it after they wanted 300 plus to do it ..
Tried Searching the part numbers of the bearings and race, seals etc needed to replace, can't seem to find them and what are the best brands to purchase thanks for your time .....

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello
Tried Searching the part numbers of the bearings and race needed to replace, can't seem to find them and what are the best brands to purchase thanks for your time .....
Glad that you started a nice new thread! Makes it easy for folks to help you... Need a bit more information though. How about what bearing and race? Is it for the wheels? Front? Rear? Somewhere else on the truck?

Might be worth posting a few pictures of what you are trying to do too.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, the wheel bearing part numbers are in the Technical Manuals (TM's) that are posted here. The parts book is the "20P" book. Link below.

Page 220, Item 22 - Page 218 has an exploded view picture

----

Part Number for Bearing LM501349 and Race LM50131

1658162438156.png

Now, for whatever it is worth: I would remove the bearings and tap out the race and clean them up and see what the part numbers are on the parts in your truck. Of course that means that you need another truck to go fetch parts - but I get really grumpy when I get home, tear it all down and find out that the parts I have don't match the parts I bought. ;-)

jimmyjimwas

So, the wheel bearing part numbers are in the Technical Manuals (TM's) that are posted here. The parts book is the "20P" book. Link below.

Page 220, Item 22 - Page 218 has an exploded view picture

----

Part Number for Bearing LM501349 and Race LM50131

View attachment 873413

Now, for whatever it is worth: I would remove the bearings and tap out the race and clean them up and see what the part numbers are on the parts in your truck. Of course that means that you need another truck to go fetch parts - but I get really grumpy when I get home, tear it all down and find out that the parts I have don't match the parts I bought.

jimmyjimwas

Great info will that be the same part number on the bearing and race for front and back bearings
and I have read conflicting options for the spindle nut socket where to purchase do you know which parts store has the correct one
Btw the way I'm not so sure the bearing are bad since the inspection place did say I need upper and lower ball joints on same side and I know that that's not true from what I have read here.. So I suppose I will check and replace king pin and spring .I did read here that the king pin bearing no one has ever seen a bad one ..

Last edited:

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its probably best to confirm if they mean wheel bearing or spindle bearing as they are separate things. I’d suggest just going to rock auto and look under 1984 k30. Under brake/wheel hub you can find wheel bearings broken out by front/rear inner/outer. Spindle bearings are in a separate section if you need those.

I’m sure everyone has an opinion but for me Timken, SKF or National are fine. I just stay away from the cheap brand ones.

On my truck the kingpin bearings were fine but the kingpin and bushing were bad. But my thought was since it’s pretty much apart anyways just change it all and then I’ll never have to worry.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great info will that be the same part number on the bearing and race for front and back bearings
and I have read conflicting options for the spindle nut socket where to purchase do you know which parts store has the correct one
Btw the way I'm not so sure the bearing are bad since the inspection place did say I need upper and lower ball joints on same side and I know that that's not true from what I have read here.. So I suppose I will check and replace king pin and spring .I did read here that the king pin bearing no one has ever seen a bad one ..
@adf5565 's suggestion for parts coming from "regular parts houses". They won't have a clue about a M1008 - but if you refer to it as a K30, they will be able to locate parts on their computer that way. I thought the proper year was 1983 but it could well be 1984...

I have to admit that I missed your Post Title: "Spindle bearings part numbers". I have to admit that I missed that the first time I looked at your post (Duh!). I also thought about it more too and wonder if the inspectors were jerking you around. Maybe Pennsylvania state inspections are more rigorous than our state. Here if the thing has four wheels and it isn't dusting for mosquitoes - it will pass. Most vehicles here aren't put on a lift and actually inspected.

If it were me, I think I would jack up that right side of the truck. Get the wheel off the ground. Spin it by hand. It should quietly turn with no funny noises. That is what spindle bearings would be... Then while it is up, grab the left and right of the tire and try to move it left to right. There should be no wiggle. Then at the top and bottom of the tire and wiggle that too. Is there any motion there? That gives you three things to inspect.

jimmyjimwas

Hi so the part numbers you have listed they are for the wheel bearings . That's what is listed on the inspection report wheel bearings are bad .... I will check for the spinning noise with spindle ... Obvious they have no clue only drive it 3000_ miles a year never had a fail and they put on report bad upper power ball joints

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi so the part numbers you have listed they are for the wheel bearings . That's what is listed on the inspection report wheel bearings are bad .... I will check for the spinning noise with spindle ... Obvious they have no clue only drive it 3000_ miles a year never had a fail and they put on report bad upper power ball joints
That is the "wiggle tests" that I was talking about where the bearing and race part numbers are. The left to right wiggle looks at tie rod ends. The up and down checks king pins or ball joints (or upper a-arm joints).

It will be interesting to see what you find on the bearings. Chances are you are going to have to go to another inspection station. They are going to want so argue about what was or wasn't fixed (in my opinion).

sneekyeye

There is a bearing that goes on the inside of that, it is what the axle shaft itself rides on.
It looks something like this photo.
Dana sells a seal kit and bearing set as part number 700014.
If you want to get it out, you can use a long punch, or the actual proper puller.
spindle bearing.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is a bearing that goes on the inside of that, it is what the axle shaft itself rides on.
It looks something like this photo.
Dana sells a seal kit and bearing set as part number 700014.
If you want to get it out, you can use a long punch, or the actual proper puller.
View attachment 873591
Agreed!

The TM shows an exploded view (not a very good one) and that bearing is part of a bearing kit P/N 700013L.

1658346307813.png

Glad you found loose spintle nuts jimmyjimwas !
That will (should) make the state inspectors happy too.
Especially when you explain what you found...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi is that a bearing I should mess with.. Or is that just one thing that doesn't go bad its really smooth on the back of part can't see where seal would go
MY OPINION is that if you clean it really well - and if the rag you clean it with doesn't have pieces of metal (or maybe sparkles) on the rag - I wouldn't necessarily replace it.

sneekyeye

The only way to know for sure is to take it all the way apart and look. The problem is, any little bit of water and schmoo gets past those old seals and it will seize up those small bearings. Mine were toast on one side, but the other was not as bad. Youll just have to take it apart to see

jimmyjimwas

Ok Question again when I took the 2 nuts holding the hub on there was a plastic washer that was toast behind all that I can't find what it could of been looks like a seal washer half of the washer is gone any ideas what or part ..... Can't post pic of washer its at home and I'm at work.... Thanks everyone can post later if need be

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks