• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Split shift transfer lever extension

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tech savvy Guineapig wanted for transfer lever extension test.

My 816 is not "on the road" at present so I am looking for someone who can road test my prototype and report back with relatively precise info so I can then finalise production of said lever extension. I am happy with it's "drive way/static test", noting that my main gear lever 'can' foul the transfer lever; Hi - 1st, without the extension anyway.

Extension sent to Guineapig will be free for them to keep!

Picture shows M6 Allen head screws (appropriate for me and what I had laying around) but will not be sent with lever. You can use your own SAE bolts - drill n thread the lever or through bolt and use nuts on the back side. I like the former as it's a cleaner mod.

PM me if you are interested and can do the mod and report back soon'ish! :D

Pics of installed lever will be put up later today... when paint is dry!

Attachments

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lever installed

Pics of lever extension in place. Transfer lever drilled and tapped so nothing sticks through and no nuts on back side.

.... and just to add that this was a regular mod on the Australian Armys' M816s with various knobs or 'T' handles.

may have to take truck for an illicit spin tomorrow (Sundays quiet around here) to test!

Attachments

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you!

One person said
1H
2H
3H
shift case L
5L
shift case H
4H
5H

or the optimum shifting is said to be;
1L
2L
3L
4L
5L
shift case to high
4H
5H.

I wonder if that will work with the M939 type T-1138 case when installed in an M818?

M818+T1138 conclusion, yes to some degree. But the T-1138 case is locked in by air, so it is a whole mess to split shift it.

redline 2100RPM
M818 truck as-modded
Gear HI LO
1 9.60 4.09
2 16.40 6.98
3 31.00 13.19
4 54.00 22.98
5 71.00 30.22

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would give it a try on my M813A1 , if nobody else pipes up.
Sorry, job taken - But thanks anyway. See post #3...... and I had to work out that a 'Huckelberry" was a volunteer too!

Apparently test will be done this week and then I'll go ahead 'as is' or make necessary mods to design, then I can take orders. So.. 'Watch this space' or more correctly, I'll post in the classifieds and may add to signature to stop that annoying 'bump'/'btt' nonsence!...

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the advantage?
puts the top of the stick (knob) in closer proximity/similar plain to the main gear stick and gets it away from grabbing for the winch lever when you shift in a hurry when pulling heavy loads. So you don't waste time and revs grabbing for the std lever down by your knee. Ever driven a twin stick box rather than a regular and separate transfer box?... usually only used for selecting FWD on a 4x4 and not set up to go back without stopping.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transfer lever extn test flight

OK Huckelberry, I looked closer at the pic in post #10 of the other thread and notice a second bend upwards, towards the passenger seat. SO, here is a posibility as to additional bends to bring the X-fer knob back more, let me know how your heating etc., works and the final position of the knob from dash or seat, that works for you:

Hi-2nd side REV 1.jpg

Bending the extension back may even negate some of the additional height, so I could shorten the extn a little. PM me with your thoughts
"part 2"! If you do go with a shorter extn, I would just remove the knob, then cut off the top of the extn to the length you need (less knob dia) and weld n smooth a 1/4x20 machine screw (bolt) back on top.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Final design.

Thanks to added info from Patracy - the 'Hucklebury' test pilot, I have finalised the required bends needed to get the knob of the lever extension in the right place to make a difference when driving.
Having the two knobs side by side for Hi 1st is not a problem - mainly because that combination is not really used AND if it were, the different knob sizes make it easy to tell apart.
cant reach 2.jpg
Position of the knob of the extension for LOW compared to the lever only.
cant reach left.jpg
Better view of the attachment.
cant reach 3.jpg
Drivers eye view of the two knobs side by side - High:1st.

I'm not offering these for sale yet , havent decided on pricing - but anyone interested please PM me.
These are all hand made including the forged attachment end, hot bending and threading.
I could do dims for any other DIY'ers out there also.

Last edited:

Shirehorse

Not to resurrect the dead or anything, but here is some new relevant material for Zebedee's transfer case extension. I got her installed, and finally got a chance to take it for a test run. Enjoy!

Sorry in advance for the shakiness of the video. Wife's accessories don't exactly make a good camera rest, in her own words.

https://youtu.be/fwB7mvJQ5qE

https://youtu.be/fZH32awguP4

Makes it 20x easier to split shift, at the very least.

Filmed in my 1970 XM813

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for doing the vid Brian. I'm still a long ways from putting my 816 on the road and doing my own vid!!!

I can bring these to GA rally if people PM me up front. No payment necessary till rally.

I was debating removing the bench in my m35a2 and running two spring seats. That way I can make a whole new t-case shift leaver that come's straight up so it dose not have the bend in it like stock. That way you don't have to bend at all or look for the leaver. I'll say this is definitely an improvement over stock but it seems you still have to lean a bit to get it.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think I like the added advantage as it might be harder on the synchros. I never force the leaver but take the time and wait or even giggle it into high range.
I also with and empty truck Deuce or 5 ton start in second low then 2 high and just run it out to 5th. I don't like putting the extra pressure on the transfer case trying to go from 5th high to a low range. To me split shifting is a transmission the can split in half any gear not high low stuff.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
With my 36,000 lb, single clutch disk, 819, I start out in 2nd. low, then 3rd low, 4th low, 5th low, 4th hi, 5th hi. The reasons I do the shifting this way is
1 -- a 36,000 lb truck even without a load is VERY hard on a single disk clutch, most heavy trucks have twin disk clutches.
2 -- shifting this way helps to split the HOLE between 3rd and 4th. these 5t transmissions are about the worst driving trans that I have ever driven. What is needed is a OLD spicer 8 or 10 speed along with a twin disk clutch.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Ron when I drive the 816 I do run out all low range gears starting in second to help get her moving and reduce stress. I have a non overdrive trans for the 5 ton but just have not wanted to swap it out and give it a try.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks