• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spray can bedliner on bumpers

Darwin T

I wouldnt spray the D-rings, prolly best to powdercoat them so they remain functional when the time comes you need to use them. Ive had bad luck with hurculiner in the past. Started delaminating a little after a year of application and the surface was prepped spotless... My new truck im just gonna take it in to Linex to get the cab/bed done, brushguard, and maybe the lower half of the body. Anyone spray the body with bedliner? how well does that work?
Just don't spray in the hole or on the body of the pin and it will still work. there was a guy in Spring, Texas who had a bobed deuce that was sprayed with bed liner, however, i think he owned the shop because it had an ad banner on the side. he had it up for sale either here or ebay about 2 years ago.

Darwin T

here is the shackles for the drivers side of my M109a3, i did not get to do all of them yesterday. this evening after work i will get them put on and get some pictures. this is the same way i did the shackles on my other truck.

Attachments

Flyingvan911

I had the rockers and lower facica on my 01 Dodge done about two years ago. Looks good and is holding up well. Linex, @ about 650.00
That's what I want to do to my van. Linex wanted $1,200. I will just use Herculiner. Most of the airsoft games I go to are held down gravel roads and the tires throw the gravel against the rocker panels.

Herculiner stuiks well but you have to sand the paint well enough to remove the gloss. All of those tiny scratches give the liner something to cling to. I've read from people who spent alot of time sanding and prepping that it sticks very well.

rjinga

Ok, my simple "paint the back bumper with Rustoleum rattlecan bedliner and see how I like it" plan turned into a "let's go ahead and remove the 26 yo rusted carriage bolts from the brush guard by hand (meaning no air wrench) and sand and paint both bumpers, the brush guard, the grill, and headlight covers" weekend plus project. I ran out of Rustoleum and daylight, so more work and photos to follow.

Attachments

SGT LongT

I LIKE IT!!!! I'm sanding and prepping mine for paint, and the brush guard and both bumpers are going to be black. Now I am thinking bedliner black.:D

rjinga

Also does this stuff dry hard or is it more like a rubber feel with some give to it.
It dried hard with a slight sand-paper texture.

Lessons learned in the process: 1. Spray the old carriage bolts with PB Blaster the night before and let them soak; 2. If you have one, and can get it into the tight spaces, use an air wrench; 3. use regular bolts instead of carriage bolts on the re-install - that way you can just brace the nut on the inside and torgue from outside; 4. it's easier to reach the top four bolts by going in behind the top of the bumper instead of up from underneath.

Ok, here are the before and after (almost) photos. I say almost because I'm going to drive it a little bit and then tighten the brush guard bolts one more time and then spray them too.

Attachments

Darwin T

i know this is not my M1028a2/3 with maintance bed, but, i have not started reworking it yet. however, here are the bed liner shackles on my M109a3. i am going to do the same thing on my CUCV when i get to that project.

Attachments

armaar15

I painted the whole exterior of mine with Herculiner. Used 1.25 gallons (roughly) to apply 1 good coat, and 1 "I'm tired of painting" coat. Looks great to me but after 2 years it's starting to fade and spots showing the camo scheme beneath it.

That is not a bad idea, would be interesting to see that as well.

You can always line the whole truck, would make it easy to clean and not worry about scratching it. There are a few places in Dallas/Fort Worth that do this with new Jeeps, but it is really expensive.

vinny-socom1

I did the roof of my M1009 with duplicolor spray-on bedliner, plan on doing the sides & inside the cab too but thats down the road. Dried hard with a slight rough finish.

Can info states it can be painted over? so I will be painting it OD soon.

Vinny