• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spray-on bedliner used to paint a MV?

ntxcop

I've seen a growing trend in the 4x4 and off road community where people are using spray-on or roll-on bedliner products to paint the exterior of their vehicles. Most of the vehicles are Jeeps, and they are being marketed as having a "Kevlar" covering. I was curious if the US Military ever used a similar product to paint the exterior of a military vehicle. I did some research and found an article on the Rhino website http://www.rhinoliningsindustrial.com/applications/military/battle_jacket/76/95 that shows US Military fuel tanker trucks being painted with RhinoLining that has a special elastic polymer added to it that will seal itself in the event of small arms fire striking the tanker truck. I'm getting ready to paint my M35A2 and am thinking about using a similar type of product to paint the entire truck in. I plan on using OD Green for the body and black for the bumpers, frame, and interior cab / floor. I've searched this entire thread and found mention of using roll-on bedliner products for certain parts of the truck, like the cab floor or truck bed, but I've never seen anyone use it to paint the entire truck. Thoughts? Truck.jpg xl_98TJ_white_sprayed_exterior_3159035868.jpg sm_Jeep_Wrangler_61.jpg

Last edited:

zout

I could see the rockcrawlers using it as they abuse the chit out of them trucks having fun of course.

I have used the bedliner in high abuse area's @105 bed @front bumper on the 109 @wheel wells @inside of flap hangers.

Doubt I would consider using it on a MV that was mainly on road instead of off roading - big difference.
Get a good pressure washer and good soap to wash it - throw the brushes away because you would wear them out.

Like its always said around here - you paid for it - its your truck - who is anyone to tell you good or bad looking if that is what you want to do. You could always strip it down - sandblast it if you did not like it.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the inside of the cab on a Deuce partly because it holds up extremely well and also for the sound deadening qualities. Rhino liner has the Govt. contract to supply it to them and they even had it in a rather nice OD color, BUT THE COST would scare most sane people away, it is expensive!!
KK

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea of a durable coating but every vehicle I've ever seen covered in bedliner was all faded and chalky in a relatively short amount of time. Especially in hot, sunny climates. Because of that I couldn't bring myself to paint the exterior of any of my vehicles in bedliner, but thats just me. If you do it, post photos!

Last edited:

insanejecke

Last edited:

ntxcop

I will be painting my m816 in bed coating same thing. I have already done this with my finer http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?108527-M816-New-tread-plate-fenders. it tell you what i'm using also

now I know that there's a co. that make bed liner in a number of colors http://monstaliner.com/ I would love to use this stuff but its out of my price range to paint a M816.. lol And they have it in OD green as well.
I have been researching all of the major brands and from what I've read, Line-X seems to be the best brand of them all, but it is also the most expensive and is not do it yourself. From what I've read, the monstaliner appears to be the best do it yourself brand on the market. You're right about the price though, still not cheap, but it sure would look good and the truck metal should last for another 40 years with monstaliner installed on it. When I get the funds, I will tackle the project and put photos up.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As others have said, it's your truck - do whatever you want with it. My concerns about spraying the exterior would be a crack forming and water getting under the coating and rotting the sheet metal underneath. It might be hard to spot the rust due to the uneven surface. Also, it might look really dirty really fast. The paint on my CUCV is very rough and I leave it outside. With all the humidity in FL, it turns green quickly and looks gross. I have to wash it with a brush because sponges get torn up from the paint.

Heath_h49008

If you want that surface so bad, but don't have the cash for the bedliner, use the "Deck Over" or "Deck Restore" paint you get at Home Depot. It's acrylic instead of polyurea, and water based, but just as thick and textured.

Long term abuse as an everyday dumptruck it might not hold up, but if you're just painting a toy to "Look right" and offer a good layer of protection, I would say go for it.

$80 for a 3.37 gal bucket that can be tinted.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202679...talogId=10053&productId=202679783&R=202679783

ntxcop

Heath, Thanks for the information. I haven't heard of that product. I found a picture of a truck on the internet that has an awesome paint scheme. The truck is owned by a business in KS and I'm going to "copy" their paint scheme. I decided to go ahead and order a gallon of product from Monstaliner. After researching A TON, I know Monstaliner has built in UV inhibiters in their products and have 20+ colors. I ordered a gallon of black to start with. I will start with the front bumper, front grill / nose, and depending on how it turns out, I plan on doing the frame, undercarriage, and gas tank/battery box in black. Then I'll do the rest of the truck in tan. Here's a picture of what I hope my truck to look like when it's finished. My order should be here tomorrow and I plan on starting to paint on Sunday. I'll post some pictures of the progress and finished product when I get started. Tan Deuce.gif

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am redoing a deuce and I used bed liner on the floor of the deuce. I used Raptor bed liner, it is a two part system and you can tint it. A kit with 4 bottles and spray gun runs about $120 and I only used two for the deuce cab. The kit is the size for a long bed pickup.
I think I am going to do the deuce bed also.

Attachments

sgtrisk

I have to admit, that tan and black paint scheme looks GREAT! I'll have to consider redoing the bottom portion of my M109A3 like that. It's currently done in the "standard" three color scheme.

I had a good friend who owns a Line-X franchise and did the inside of my cab for free. (Once in a while, we all stuble across a good deal, eh?)

Newbie288

ntxcop, Ive been looking over alot of 923's and 925 trucks the past few months and ive been noticing that the 923's that are getting rebuilt at RRAD the past 3 years or so have been getting the frame sprayed with what LOOKS like black rhino liner or line-x material. I havent been able to get a confirmation on this from anybody, but it seems like every truck weve looked at that had a RRAD rebuild tag from 2010 on has a frame sprayed black with what looks like a bedliner type material. So in answer to your question, the army may be using this stuff now, although i cant be positive, it just doesnt look at all like CARC on the frame. It definately looks like a bedliner type. Can anybody with any RRAD knowledge confirm or deny this??

ntxcop

Newbie, I know the military is using a form of Rhino Lining on their fuel tank trucks / trailers. I read about it in the link at the original post, and it seems pretty cool! I haven't read about it being used on regular cargo type trucks though. You would think it would be more common because of the benefits of prohibiting rust. I received my shipment of Monstaliner on Saturday and planned on rolling it on to the nose, bumper, and frame on Monday and Tuesday, BUT, I discovered a large oil leak coming from the bottom of my transmission bell housing. I ended up spending the last two days removing my transmission and clutch and replacing the lower rear main seal. SOOOO, I decided to remove the seats from my truck and am going to paint some Lizard Skin on the tub of the Deuce. Lizard Skin makes a product like Rhino Lining, but it is ceramic based and cuts heat and noise. I'm hoping it turns out as good as M35A2-AZ's truck did. Since I haven't had the chance to apply any of the Lizard Skin or Monstaliner, I will put up some pics of the transmission job. I was really worried about it, but it ended up being easier than I thought it would be. The hardest part was finding a local parts house that had the new seal. CIMG0023.jpgCIMG0035.jpgCIMG0036.jpgCIMG0037.jpgCIMG0041.jpgCIMG0051.jpgCIMG0055.jpg

dependable

The Lizard skin product is water based polymer. It works pretty well as intended to deaden sound in interior, but wonder if it would hold up as well as a solvent based bedliner on exterior panels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks