• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring 2011 Rausch Creek MV Rally

powerhouseduece

Hi,

It looks like another great time. [thumbzup] Nice Pics and vid. Wish I was there. See you guys in Oct. I've said it before but that headache rack and rear winch on your 818 looks great Matt! Looks factory.

Thanks, now I just have to get spicergear to show me how to hook it up!! That mog he had was a little monster! Had a pro winch off a 5t mounted on the rear and another that he can pin on the front.

Now, the bobbing will begin!!!! :twisted:

Marlboro

Powerhouse, Did you own the 5ton tractor with the stacks? If so what happened to it? Also how'd the deuce with the t831 firestones do compared to the other deuces with ndt's? great pics fella's!!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, that 5-ton with the dual custom stacks was owned by MidnightDuramax, and he didn't come this time. He was at April 2010 rally, at MTA2010, and Aberdeen 2010 as well. That was the last time I saw that truck.

kassim503

Made it back around 1500 yesterday, uneventful trip back (the best kinds). Had a blast this weekend, cant wait for the fall one! Great job with all of the photos & videos, and a special shoutout to wildchild, 5.0 fox, pafarmer, and everybody else who gave me a hand when the 1009 threw a hissy fit [thumbzup] we'll have her back rippin and tearin in no time :-D

powerhouseduece

Powerhouse, Did you own the 5ton tractor with the stacks? If so what happened to it? Also how'd the deuce with the t831 firestones do compared to the other deuces with ndt's? great pics fella's!!
As mike said, that wasn't my truck. Mine always the one with the test winch and pipeline rack. And for the tires I'm not sure, we didn't really hit the extremely hard trails. Had to keep it mellow for all the noobs! Lol

spicergear

You could see in just the tire tracks alone that the Firestones had a MUCH better foot print and better bite than the NDT's really ever could. The truck looked really meaty too with 10 of them on it with the flat tread area opposed to the rounded and slightly smaller NDT's.

Had a real good time out wheeling with everone that was there! Nice to meet a few new faces and put faces to the SS names. Matt, Tom, everyone else- hope to see you again sometime. Oh, Maddawg...we met before a few years back at Rausch Creek. I don't know you by 'Mike.' :mrgreen:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noobs!?!? whatever, i could have stood more hill climbs.... those are fun! I checked my oil before we went out wheeling just incase :wink: Next year im trying the first hill that spicergear climbed with his unimog! that was an impressive climb he made, but i just thought i need to represent USA here! :-D

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeaaaa.... thats a lot of muscle in a small package. i wonder how that mog would do in a tug of war with a deuce.... just for fun. they seem quite the useful vehicle. I like deuces because they are a lot cheaper and parts seem easier to get. im telling my self all of this trying to get it in my head that a deuce is more fun so i dont get "googling" unimogs and get attached to them.... i could see it would be very easy to do! one addiction at a time... i got the deuce and i think the next addiction is trailers. hahaha!

spicergear

HA! You should try NOT trying to get a second one after you already have one! -that is REALLY tough. I found a frame and axles for a 416 and am trying really, really hard to forget where they are...trying to stay focused. Trying...

I really want to get into a five ton and get my 475hp 'Silver 92' Detroit and Road Ranger humming again.

That first hill climb was fun. Short, steep, and that big friggin' rock at the top to drop down over with the driver's side was interesting. Even though the truck is a little nose heavy, I only had the front axle pulled in on the two hill climbs and the water hole I dropped into...rest of the time was just rear wheel, open diff. The Mog is fun to drive but I sure was happy to get home and get OUT. :-D

powerhouseduece

Ok, next time around, it will be blue trails and the bigger hills.

I'm gathering parts now to bob my truck. I have to go dig my other 5t front axle out of storage. Talked to my buddy that builds cars about my rear suspension, so it will be bagged and am shooting for 20-30" of travel. Add that with rear steering and I'll be able to hang with tom's mog in some tight trails!!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think next time, if we can get enough people with smaller vehicles, maybe it would work to have two different groups go out - one with the big trucks and they hit only the green trails, and the smaller vehicles can hit the blue trails if they feel up to it.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i was game for any of the trails. i did supprisingly well at not wacking trees with my cargo cover and bows. so that made me feel good about my driving skills in the woods as they were not tested with the deuce in these types of trails. I should Bob my M109 and bring that next time. LDS power in something bobed would be a blast! I cant wait to see what Powerhousedeuce's 5 ton is going to look like!:driver:

spicergear

yeaaaa.... thats a lot of muscle in a small package. i wonder how that mog would do in a tug of war with a deuce...just for fun
The deuce would walk away with the Mog on a straight pull since the Mog is 3 tons lighter @ 8,000 lbs. I pulled my one deuce up a pasture (yeah, the winch front winch thread) by hooking into the deuce's pintle hook then up around the winch drum on the rear of the Mog to get good weight transfer. Pulled it no sweat then.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great pictures! Wish I could be there.

I love the scenic overlook group shots you guys always do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks