• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring replacement, leveling springs

jrtoffroad

What type of adapter did you use? Then what type of shock? I might be mistaken but I think the shocks are the "limit strap" for most modern trucks. We would just need to get the right length shock.
The adapters are made out of 0.25" wall 1" Diameter tubing. I've considered machining some that could be used bolt-in, but these require welding in place.

I'm using bilstein 5125 shocks. 255/70 valving, which is a little light, but all they offered off the shelf in that length. Agree that most OEM's use the shocks as the limit strap, but you need to make sure you not only have the right extended length but a shock rated for this type of use. Some shocks have an internal "cushion" to prevent damage on over extension, but many do not. Might not be a big concern though, especially if you're not jumping it all the time. ;)

I was focused on selecting a shock with the right compressed length to allow me to use it as the bumpstop with the addition of a foam bumper.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The adapters are made out of 0.25" wall 1" Diameter tubing. I've considered machining some that could be used bolt-in, but these require welding in place.

I'm using bilstein 5125 shocks. 255/70 valving, which is a little light, but all they offered off the shelf in that length. Agree that most OEM's use the shocks as the limit strap, but you need to make sure you not only have the right extended length but a shock rated for this type of use. Some shocks have an internal "cushion" to prevent damage on over extension, but many do not. Might not be a big concern though, especially if you're not jumping it all the time. ;)

I was focused on selecting a shock with the right compressed length to allow me to use it as the bumpstop with the addition of a foam bumper.
I think I seen a video of you in Moab with your Humvee? If that’s the case I fully understand what you are doing. Normal people don’t need anything like that but I see the need for you. Let’s go, I’m not that far away from Moab. Tell me if I’m wrong with the video.

Glider

I think I seen a video of you in Moab with your Humvee? If that’s the case I fully understand what you are doing. Normal people don’t need anything like that but I see the need for you. Let’s go, I’m not that far away from Moab. Tell me if I’m wrong with the video.
This guy? He looks to be very familiar with hmmwv and offloading both. The video gets good at 2:30

jrtoffroad

Next time I go I'll be sure to send you an invite! Probably go out again in March.

Glider

Yep, that's me.
Awesome!! That video has been one of the best of hmmwv I've seen in a while. Plus you have some pretty good driving skill. Is the hmmwv fairly stock outside of suspension? I want to follow your formula for springs and shocks. And to be honest I'm getting pretty excited. The springs weren't too expensive, shocks look to be around 100 each, last piece of the puzzle is the adapters. Thank you for the pictures. I'm going to get a quote for shock adapters. I'll sketch something up and post it later today.

jrtoffroad

Awesome!! That video has been one of the best of hmmwv I've seen in a while. Plus you have some pretty good driving skill. Is the hmmwv fairly stock outside of suspension? I want to follow your formula for springs and shocks. And to be honest I'm getting pretty excited. The springs weren't too expensive, shocks look to be around 100 each, last piece of the puzzle is the adapters. Thank you for the pictures. I'm going to get a quote for shock adapters. I'll sketch something up and post it later today.
The only mods are springs, shocks, rocker guards and a Detroit locker in the rear. The Detroit doesn't necessarily add capability over the torsen limited slip, but drastically limits how often and how aggressively you have to use BTM.

I wouldn't really recommend going with the exact shocks I did. Although the fitment is great, the valving is too light. I'd recommend calling Bilstein and seeing if you can custom order a set with 360/80 (or maybe even 400/120) valving. I know they will re-valve shocks.

Glider

I wouldn't really recommend going with the exact shocks I did. Although the fitment is great, the valving is too light. I'd recommend calling Bilstein and seeing if you can custom order a set with 360/80 (or maybe even 400/120) valving. I know they will re-valve shocks.
[/QUOTE]

I haven't found time to do the fronts yet but have been studying the shock adapters. It looks like Bilstein shocks use a 1/2 bolt. If I have a 1/2 id adapter it will not fit. correct? Did you use a different size? It looks like the adapters are going to be about 125.00 in materials.

jrtoffroad

I haven't found time to do the fronts yet but have been studying the shock adapters. It looks like Bilstein shocks use a 1/2 bolt. If I have a 1/2 id adapter it will not fit. correct? Did you use a different size? It looks like the adapters are going to be about 125.00 in materials.
[/QUOTE]

1/2" id is perfect. 1/2 bolt fits perfectly.

The tubing shouldn't cost anywhere near that. What grade steel did you look at? Think I paid $40 for 3' of 4130. 3 times what I needed and also no need for chromoly, but I like it.

Glider

1/2" id is perfect. 1/2 bolt fits perfectly.

The tubing shouldn't cost anywhere near that. What grade steel did you look at? Think I paid $40 for 3' of 4130. 3 times what I needed and also no need for chromoly, but I like it.
[/QUOTE]

If you have a website or name I'll check with your source.

Thanks for the help!

Glider

Glider, great work. What is your ideal ride height? Personally I like something around 24.5 front and 25.5 rear (center of hub to fender).

Just a couple comments:
-On the front I would start without cutting any coils. With the extra weight it will compress the springs much more. Although I'm currently using a slightly different spring, I have a 1.5 less coils in the rear.
I called MOOG customer service and asked for the actual rate of the Armada spring. It is drumroll.....534lbin...!

The data plate shows a 2980 front curb weight take out 400lbs for wheel weight and a arm weight. That should land the sprung weight around 2500lbs.

2500/534=4.68 inches of compression

Spring Free height 16.5-4.68=11.82

My desired compressed spring height is 11" so I will ride a little higher than desired....Until I put in a winch! Woo Hoo

jrtoffroad

I called MOOG customer service and asked for the actual rate of the Armada spring. It is drumroll.....534lbin...!

The data plate shows a 2980 front curb weight take out 400lbs for wheel weight and a arm weight. That should land the sprung weight around 2500lbs.

2500/534=4.68 inches of compression

Spring Free height 16.5-4.68=11.82

My desired compressed spring height is 11" so I will ride a little higher than desired....Until I put in a winch! Woo Hoo
Thanks for the update. Wow, I'm surprised it's so light. I was supposed to install these same springs in the front of a HMMWV a couple weeks back, but found some bad ball joints and have been waiting on some new moog units. I was planning to run them uncut, which sounds like the right option still.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks