• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SSGR14 Engine and Bed Swap

Smokinyoda

I will be there Fri afternoon and would like to help with the engine swap. I am facing a clutch job myself soon and could use some first hand experience.

I can donate a rear main seal if you want to change it while its convenient. Anything else still needed?

andy3

Smokinyoda, I had a new rear main seal arrive to the house Sunday afternoon (I don't know how Amazon does it) we can always use the help. If anyone is looking for something to donate, a jerry can or two of diesel for Ron with the wrecker would be very appreciated. If you don't have room for that a small gas gift card would be awesome.

bchauvette

Ken is buying a compressor at the rally. I'm sure he'll let us use it with the gen I'm bringing. I'll bring blow guns etc as well.

Do we have what we need to extract the pilot bearing/bushing? Roughly what is the ID ? I might be able to bring a slide hammer puller.

Who is bringing the Green Pom-Poms for the scantly clad cheerleaders?

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ken is buying a compressor at the rally. I'm sure he'll let us use it with the gen I'm bringing. I'll bring blow guns etc as well.

Do we have what we need to extract the pilot bearing/bushing? Roughly what is the ID ? I might be able to bring a slide hammer puller.

I'll be the Captain of the cheerleaders and Zouts sisters will do the actual cheerleading.:D

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bit of grease and a whittled stick can do it, if someone does not have a puller.

andy3

I'll be the Captain of the cheerleaders and Zouts sisters will do the actual cheerleading.:D
Papabear, I threw up in my mouth, allot! That a a motivator. Guys anyone who slacks has to take a charr and sit and watch the cheerleaders.

Last edited by a moderator:

andy3

I got to go by Reckless's shop to look at a Deuce my friend was interested in. While there I got to see my motor. I guess several cans of degreaser/cleaner might be in order before we start.

Here is a list of some things we need to do to the motor while the other motor is getting pulled. Pull starter and C turbo, and Spin ohm oil filter kit from my truck and install on the new motor.

Clinto picked up the hardware to bypass the FDC so we need to do that, If we want to get adventurous we can install new seals in the IP.
IMG_0035.jpgIMG_0034.jpg

Anything else anyone can think of or see?

Rmtaunton

Now we are getting there :) a 2 and a 1/2 ton chain fall works great as an engine leveler if anyone has one would be great , I've got the flooring and a bucket of safety glasses , tools , etc and will try to remember a case of brake clean .

oddshot

Sorry to have to bug out yesterday (1300, Sat., 11 Oct.) before seeing the replacement engine run.

That last I saw the engine was in and pretty near ready to start.

Anybody that wasn't there missed some of the most amazing crane ops I ever saw. 73m819 makes a crane dance like a 65 pound ballerina in a purty pink tutu.

There were some VERY skilled hands on this job ... and probably one of the best crews I EVER worked with.

BZ's all around. Well Done.

Ted

Last edited:

andy3

The Deuce is home safe. I think I will be smiling for months from the energy feast I was filled up on this weekend. The coolant leak has stopped for now. The truck didn't write that on a trail ride last night and again this morning first time ever getting it in the mud. I will post more later but thank you all from the bottom my heart, not the heart of my bottom.
Too many to thank on my phone. I'll post more later.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to take this over to the rally thread as well but it needs mentioned here as too. While there were a great number of hands on deck and lots of cooperation, the one person who needs the ultimate recognition is Robert (rmtaunton). As the special ops person in charge, he coordinated all the ops along with ensuring that everything was brought in and available. Now here is where he needs to be recognized. Long before the first wrench touched Andy's truck, Robert was out on that field busting knuckles on the bed swap. He busted his but making sure everything went well with that and then gave the same level of hands on effort in the engine swap. In my eyes, Robert is the one person that has eclipsed the MKT staff as the hardest working Steel Soldier on the grounds. He will likely never ever volunteer for anything but I'm sure glad he did this year. A sincere heart felt thanks to you Robert for going way over the top on help this year.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,

I couldn't agree more!!! Robert was a HUGE help in prepping and changing the beds out. I hope someone got some nice video of the bed swap, I saw a few cameras out in that field.

Robert, if you didn't find the socket we dropped let me know and I will USPS out a replacement ASAP. Don't give me the old "Oh, don't worry about it" I won't take no for an answer, without your help that job would have taken much longer.

andy3

Recovery4x4 thank you for beating me to this. I can't thank Robert enough. I tried and couldn't even buy him a meal at the MKT. I know for every event he is attending he will have a cooler full of cold ones and someone that would jump out of bed at 2AM if I ever heard he had trouble on the side of the the road. Aside from that the only thing I can think to do is volunteer and pay it forward.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks