• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start of my crane truck project

nridr124

i had the same idea i have a 70s a2 and bought a hiab 088 a little more lift capicty and shoots out to 39"7 but has the hydrolic out riggers on it so im in need of moving my fuel cell found a cuple a3s for sale really cheap so going to save the crane for the a3 and bob it with a 1.5ton genset trailer bed instead of the 105 change it up a little and convert the a3 bed into a tow behind trailer along with some shelter tow dollys i found that are used to move konex as a waggon really clever set up the military :jumpin: sorry for youre loss with the botom of the barrel people we manage to run into

Well just to clear a few things up. 1: He originally wanted 2500 for the crane I kept plus delivery. After saying that was to much for me we agreed on 1500 if I removed the motor and gave it to him. 2: Upon some research I find that he bought each crane for 1950 a piece. 3: The dimensions were wrong on the items being picked up. I planned my pick up on the dimensions given which would have fit all 3 on one trailer and one trip. We got to the pick up on time for our 6:00am load out. It was a lumber company and that was the only time they could load as they used a crane on another truck that was going to be on the road all day. Well 1 didn't fit and we had to come back at 12pm for the third when a truck would be there to load. So now a 2hr pick up has just turned into 3/4 of the day. I also needed to get them unloaded twice now at my drop/storage yard. All said and done the move wasn't complete till 3pm, an extra 7 hours. 4: The crane I kept was pretty beat. It needs 3 hoses replaced, doesn't have an engine now, has no remote and umbilical cord, and the stationary switches need to be rewired. Now after the recovery I kept him informed about problems we had. I do admit things went upside down on delivery day and I was a little lax on calling him. But I did inform him every time we were running late. The 1030 instead of 1130 was a legit counting mistake on my part and could have been handled face to face if he recounted (I always do on a sale). I did tell him I would send the money but major family med problems and house repairs after our freak October snow storm hit me not to long after. I did tell him all of this and I have every intention on sending him the money just as soon as I have it. I'm not the kind of guy to screw anyone over. Things just happened to hit me at just the wrong time. I'm sorry for any inconvenience I caused him but will get it taken care ASAP.

Speedwoble

More painting today. Wheels and troop seats.
I wanted black wheels, Wife wanted green wheels. With the solid green paint, I think it will look better with green wheels. If I camo it, I can always swap the inner duals out and paint them black.
Need one more coat before dark. Letting the paint dry right now.

Attachments

Speedwoble

Update: Eric has been in touch with me and we have made payment arrangements.

This weekend I stenciled the truck, so I am ready to submit for title paperwork. The truck will basically sit while the budget recovers for a set of Jatonka's spin on oil filters. I have made my own in the past, and don't feel like going through it again. Also hoping to buy some parts from Glen when I head to Kansas for Christmas.

With the truck painted, I finally got back to working on the cranes. One of the batteries came back to life with a trickle charger. Found a bad switch on one of the remote controls. Also pulled the fuel tanks and replaced the fuel lines, fuel filters. Both engines fire right up now.

I have some rewiring to do as I can see a few places where some wires have worn their insulation.
Tossed a video on youtube of the Hiab 070A operating. I didn't stretch it out because it is just sitting on a pallet and I did not want it to tip over.

I couldn't resist stretching out the dual extension on the 070AW as seen in the picture below. This thing is going to have some span.

Did I mention I live in a rental and this is all occurring at the back of the parking lot?

http://youtu.be/AmHNzhtL9oQ

Hiab 070A with Kohler power unit - YouTube

Attachments

Last edited:

Speedwoble

Update on this project: I have now been paid in full by MidnightDuramax for the crane I sold to him in return for delivery of my other two.

Now I hope to get my license plates shortly so I can load the cranes up in the back of the deuce and take them to the car-wash. I need to clean off 15 years of grease so I can start repairing a few questionable wires. I ordered 8 SPDT momentary toggle switches (from All Electronics | Electronic and Electro-Mechanical Parts and Supplies at Discount Prices) and a bunch of wire.

I see you have the typical outrigger set up for these that just unpin and drop down without telescoping out. I hope they clear your tank/truck width. My Palfinger mocked up on the 931A2 tractor isn't wide enough to clear the truck for the outriggers like that.
Actually these extend out about 12-18" before rotating down, so hopefully I will clear. I have not started heavy measuring, but I WILL find a way to fit it. :beer:

Hmm, it could be cool to have 2....

Speedwoble

Well, I haven't updated this thread in a while, but progress is slowly occurring. My wife and I live debt free, so I have to save up along the way for projects like this.

As a background, I bought three of these cranes as a package deal. My original plan was to resell two of them to pay for the third. After selling one, I have become fond of the other two, so I bought an M105 trailer to mount the second crane on. I was looking for an M200A1, but the last auction price was not quite right. The plan, at the moment, is to put the long reach crane on the Deuce frame and the shorter crane on the trailer frame. The M105 trailer bed will be put on the deuce behind its crane. This way, if I don't like the set-up on the deuce, I could remove it and put the deuce bed back on. If I don't like the crane on the trailer, I can sell it, on the trailer or off, and cut down the stock deuce bed to fit. With the cranes self contained as they are, it is simply a matter of unbolting them or rebolting them on whatever will fit. I am thinking I will go with 7/8" high strength threaded rod and a piece of heavy plate to bolt to the frame, that way I can more easily change mounting.

In the mean time, I have been spending some quality time under the deuce on a creeper with a tape measure. I will have to I have also been following ODdave's post as he is making progress faster than I. ( ODdave's Crane Project ) I can see I will have to move the air tanks inboard to give clearance for the bolts on the inside of the frame.

I also am trading my C turbo with Clinto for a D turbo. My old deuce had a D, and I preferred the burble of the D to the whistle of the C, though it is fun sounding like a jet engine pulling away from a stop. The threads stripped of a stud in the process of removing my turbo. I had met the owner of Bioblend at a conference and he told me that bio-based lubricants are polar molecules so they have tremendous metal wetting abilities. Therefore I welded a nut on the end of the stud, then while it was hot I melted some of their grease into the joint. I can't say whether it was the heat or the grease , but I will say when the stud came out, the threads looked wet. That stud and the two bolts will be replaced with stainless steel fasteners. My EUC for the M105 cleared last Friday, so I have to have the Deuce ready to go pick it up ASAP.

I took the opportunity to drill and tap two holes for a pyrometer while I had the turbo off. These will be plugged with stainless plugs until I get a pyro.

Lastly, I have started purchasing supplies to recreate my remote oil filter kit I had on my old deuce. Unfortunately, the first supplier I chose for the filterhead delivered a crappy product, despite being made in the USA. The threads were cut very rough as you can see in the attached picture. My first test fit, the CAT filter I was using threaded on just fine, but as I was unthreading it, the scale you can see in the threads bit into the cat filter and would not allow it to come off. I could spin it forward, but not backwards. Finally I used a band wrench to force it off and the filter took two threads with it. This was a dry fit and perhaps it would not have been a problem if the threads had oil on them. I think I can salvage this for a waste oil filter system and I will get a better head for the Deuce oil filter.

Attachments

Vintage iron

I am putting my crane truck build on the back burner. I am building a Gun truck instead. have put my Hiab up for sale in the classifieds. I will be watching the build for future reference.

Speedwoble

Last week I picked up an M105A2 trailer I won at an auction last month. Had two brand new tires on it, so I will swap those over to the deuce, pull the bed, and put one crane on the frame. Seeing a 105 up close, I do not want to put it on as the bed behind the crane on the deuce, so I am back to planning to cut down my stock bed.

Also did a little work on the oil system. Got 1"-14x2" bolts and some -12 JIC hydraulic plugs. Machined a recess in the bolt and a matching step in the plug, then drilled out the centers. Tig welded the two pieces together, now I need to do the final boring of the ID.

I am sure there are guys better at TIG than I.

I am having a bear of a time finding a reasonably priced remote filter head for my filter set-up. I want to use the common Baldwin B99/WIX 51792 filter, but keep hitting dead ends. I did find this trick piece, but it is $300 Peterson Fluid Systems : Spin On Filter Mounts
I know a cheaper one exists, because I used it 3 years ago, but that Deuce is 1500 miles away, so I can't just look at it to get a part #.

Anyway, slow progress, pictures attached.

Attachments

Speedwoble

Made a little more progress this weekend and had one near disaster. I have settled on mounting my spare crane on the M105 chassis so I can use it to move the deuce bed and second crane around while I do that project. I am getting tired of having to borrow the telehandler from my work.

I struggled with my hand tools to loosen the bolts holding the bed to my M105 trailer. Finally gave up and towed it into work to use the 3/4 impact. Also used the overhead bridge crane to remove the side racks on the M105. Then used the bridge crane to transfer the M105 bed to the bed of the Deuce. Sorry, no pictures as cameras are not allowed. With the bed off, I discovered why the trailer brakes seemed weak on the 105. A sloppy forklift driver had severed an air line and a brake hose. I will need to get those fixed before this goes on the road. Also, I realized how light the M105 frame is compared to the deuce. I think anyone stacking this frame under the deuce frame to make a bobber is nuts. I am going to need to reinforce before mounting the crane on it.

Hauled the M105 bed and the M105 frame home and unloaded the bed. Then loaded up the crane in the deuce to take it to work to loosen the bolts holding the crane onto its cradle.

Unfortunately the "headache racks" on both sides were welded to some hard points on the crane chassis and some points on the cradle, so these welds kept it from coming apart completely. I will have to spend some time with a sawzall to separate them.

Hauled the crane home and decided to raise it up, drop the outriggers(manual) and set the crane over the M105 Chassis like a tripod so it would be ready to bolt down when I get the M105 frame reinforced. I raised it up with the telehandler, then dropped the outriggers, and lowered it onto them. Then started up the motor and started to unfold the crane. As I rotated it, the balance shifted and swept the outriggers out from under the crane. The telehandler was still holding it, so I watched as 3000lbs of crane did an awkward pirouette towards my neighbors car. Luckily it stopped just short of hitting it, and even more luckily, I was 15 feet away, controlling it via tether instead of right next to it.

Decided not to make anything worse and just let it hang there for 2 hours until my neighbor got home to move his car. Then he pulled on a rope while I ran the telehandler and we got it into the tripod position. It is stable, but I don't want to leave it like this too long. I have seen hydraulics bleed down over time.

Attachments

spicergear

Holy smokes! Anytime a load swings it can get the heart pumping! I just repicked my knuckleboom off my 5 ton the other day to do other work to it...they're BIG in the air. Is it possibly you could take a couple of pics of the outriggers and mounts where they bolt onto the crane base for me? Mine looks to have mounts like that but incomplete. Thanks!

Bighurt

Reminds me of last weekend, I slung my M105 from the forks of a tele-handler...my load didn't fair to well though. Something slipped and the lunette came crashing down. Put a good dent in the M925 bed. No one hurt but sometimes things just go wrong.

Clevises would have been a smarter choice. Always think safety when slinging loads.

Stonepicker1

Made a little more progress this weekend and had one near disaster. I have settled on mounting my spare crane on the M105 chassis so I can use it to move the deuce bed and second crane around while I do that project. I am getting tired of having to borrow the telehandler from my work.

I struggled with my hand tools to loosen the bolts holding the bed to my M105 trailer. Finally gave up and towed it into work to use the 3/4 impact. Also used the overhead bridge crane to remove the side racks on the M105. Then used the bridge crane to transfer the M105 bed to the bed of the Deuce. Sorry, no pictures as cameras are not allowed. With the bed off, I discovered why the trailer brakes seemed weak on the 105. A sloppy forklift driver had severed an air line and a brake hose. I will need to get those fixed before this goes on the road. Also, I realized how light the M105 frame is compared to the deuce. I think anyone stacking this frame under the deuce frame to make a bobber is nuts. I am going to need to reinforce before mounting the crane on it.

Hauled the M105 bed and the M105 frame home and unloaded the bed. Then loaded up the crane in the deuce to take it to work to loosen the bolts holding the crane onto its cradle.

Unfortunately the "headache racks" on both sides were welded to some hard points on the crane chassis and some points on the cradle, so these welds kept it from coming apart completely. I will have to spend some time with a sawzall to separate them.

Hauled the crane home and decided to raise it up, drop the outriggers(manual) and set the crane over the M105 Chassis like a tripod so it would be ready to bolt down when I get the M105 frame reinforced. I raised it up with the telehandler, then dropped the outriggers, and lowered it onto them. Then started up the motor and started to unfold the crane. As I rotated it, the balance shifted and swept the outriggers out from under the crane. The telehandler was still holding it, so I watched as 3000lbs of crane did an awkward pirouette towards my neighbors car. Luckily it stopped just short of hitting it, and even more luckily, I was 15 feet away, controlling it via tether instead of right next to it.

Decided not to make anything worse and just let it hang there for 2 hours until my neighbor got home to move his car. Then he pulled on a rope while I ran the telehandler and we got it into the tripod position. It is stable, but I don't want to leave it like this too long. I have seen hydraulics bleed down over time.
How many cranes do you have...I see one behind the shed also.:wink:

Speedwoble

How many cranes do you have...I see one behind the shed also.:wink:
I have two. One is an 070A with a 17ft reach, one is an 070AW with a 23 ft reach. I am keeping the 070AW for sure. Pretty much have talked myself into keeping the 070A as I think it would be awesome to mount in a shop down the road. For now it is going on the trailer chassis.

I love telehandlers! We have a big new 10,000lb JLG at work...that baby is SA-WEEET!!!
They are definitely one of my favorite pieces of equipment. In Europe they sell some with a 3 point and PTO, which would be the perfect light tractor around a farm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks