• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Started my dump conversion

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of you may remember that I've been talking about putting a dump under my deuce for a couple of years. Well, today I started. Got the bed off, pto mounted (t-case PTO), and the hoist positioned where I think I want it (after a bunch of figuring).

I'm using a Omaha Standard hoist. I'm going to run the pump off of the t-case PTO. I've got a couple of pumps laying around so I'm going to find out which one will be best suited for the hoist. Thanks to Gringeltaube I think I have a hinge design where I can leave the bumperettes in place.

I'll try and post some more pics as progress takes place.

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
I am interested on how this turns out. I have two old dumps at FOB Talon ( O.D. Greens ne property ) and been think about swapping onto some of our 5tons. Please be detailed in the progress and lots of pics!

Alredneck

Banned
Gimp, whats up with the avatar? I hope that " Thing " didnt replace the pickup, or God forbid the deuce or wrecker!:lol:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you using the dropside bed?
That's the plan. I know some say the dropside isn't strong enough for a dump but if it looks like I need it I'll add some extra bracing.

I'm planning on making two "standards" to go into the back troop seat pockets and stick up a couple of feet. I will attach a rod to the top of the standard and go across to the one on the other side. It will be removable so I can still use the fractory tailgate when I'm not dumping. That should hold the sides at the back from bulging out and I can swing a tailgate on the rod for spreading gravel and whatnot.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you're off to a good start. I'm especially interested in this mod since I am planning on doing the same thing when I get the parts gathered up. I also want to keep the bumperettes and have been thinking long and hard about a hinge design that will accomplish this task. I'm very curious to see some good pictures of your hinge design.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp, show some dignity, and change your avatar back to Gilligan already!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also want to keep the bumperettes and have been thinking long and hard about a hinge design that will accomplish this task. I'm very curious to see some good pictures of your hinge design.
I can't take credit for the hinge design. It's Gringeltaube's design. Here's a link to the pic http://www.steelsoldiers.com/505895-post4.html . I haven't started working on the hinge yet but I'm pretty much going to copy his drawings.

I've been working on a flange this morning to attach a driveshaft to the PTO. Got that done, now it's off to TSC to see if I can find a yoke to weld to it and some shaft to run to the pump.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the pump mounted and built a hyd tank to go over the spare tire carrier today.

I ended up having to move one of the air tanks to the other side of the frame to make room for the pump driveshaft. I didn't have my camera with me today but I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Alredneck

Banned
I was thinking about cutting the hinges out of the civy dump, notching the 5ton frame then weld the old hing in place. Is this a bad idea? I thougth worse case I might have to weld in some angle as a cross member of sorts. ( If you can picture it in your head, I get pics when I get back from Campbell ) How did you pick the pump to go with the pto and at what rpm is it going to have to run to drive the cylinder?

Gimp has Barbie beat your door down wanting her car back!:grin:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a deuce pump and control valve with linkage for the savvy fabricator. Would allow all bed functions with 1 lever including floating, raising and lowering.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking about cutting the hinges out of the civy dump, notching the 5ton frame then weld the old hing in place. Is this a bad idea? I thougth worse case I might have to weld in some angle as a cross member of sorts. ( If you can picture it in your head, I get pics when I get back from Campbell ) How did you pick the pump to go with the pto and at what rpm is it going to have to run to drive the cylinder?

Gimp has Barbie beat your door down wanting her car back!:grin:
I cut the hinges out of the bed I robbed the hoist out of. The reason I didn't use them was because I'd have to loose my bumperettes. Most civilian dumps do use a piece of angle iron in the back to mount the hinges to.

The pump is a 11GPM Vickers pump that I've had laying around for awhile. I'm not really sure of the RPM needed but I have 5 speeds to choose from with the t-case PTO. I figure I'll hook it up and see which gear it runs best in. I've even got a couple of other higher GPM pumps that I could go with if this one doesn't work but the Vickers seemed to fit the best and I think 11GPM will be enough.

One of the main problems I ran into with the t-case PTO is getting the pump low enough. The pump needs to be lower than the hyd tank and you options are kind of limited on where you can mount a tank. It's pretty tight between the frame rails of a deuce with air tanks, cross members, driveshafts, and axle articulation clearance.

The plan is to have a remote valve to contol the dump and not combined with the pump like most dumps are. That way I'll have options to stack more valves for other hyd accessories as the need arises (a hyd winch may be a future project).

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plan is to have a remote valve to contol the dump and not combined with the pump like most dumps are. ...........................
... one that normally will be operated from the drivers seat but also is easily accessible from outside?....:wink:

G.

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
You will like the HYD winch if you get to it. I had a Milemarker 10,500 mounted to the front of the dodge for awhile. It went into the garage after i got Apoc stuck and decide a Ram 2500 with big winch could do the job, I ended up get a Chevy Chained to me and with Us pulling the Deuce was just stuck way to much so something had to give. I figured winch cable would go first but it was the Alien Patrol bumper brackets that won that round!

Thanks for the info, im following this thread trying to work out future bugs when I tear into the two civy dumps that will cough up parts to the needs of the O.D. Green fever!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... one that normally will be operated from the drivers seat but also is easily accessible from outside?....:wink:

G.
My plan is to mount the valve outside the cab and attach a air cylinder to it. Inside the cab I will mount an air switch to operate the valve.

The valve I'm going to use is similar to this.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks