• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Started on my M75 APC lastnite. Guess What

scorpion6

Got a question for you bright fellas. I was recently asked to work on an m75 apc . Finally got batteries hooked up. All the control panel lights lite up. Slipped it into what I can only guess is a start position, hit the switch and the starter sounded like it was spinning, but no roll over. Are there any special tricks to starting this beast? Forgot to say it was running when parked, but that was 20 years ago. I suspect it is froze up. Havent pulled it out on the craddle yet. Also twisted the little handle on the laft and all the lights went dim and nearly had a melt down, whats up with that? Noticed that the power box at the rear of the motornear the twin magnetos has a wire or 3 to be exact that were cut with the screw in plug missing that goes into the box, any wiring schematics?

Carlo

Well after 4 months of sittin at the back of the shop, i finally decided to start on the ole APC. After an hour of tryin to get the beast in my shop with the tractor, I finally got em in there. I started fiddlin around with the small things rusty screws and what not. and finally talked myself into pullin the power pack. HOLY CRAP!!!!! Thats a chore by yourself!!!!! I finally got the front armor off, that was heavy!! Then just as I was gettin close my overhead hoist quit. But I managed to slide the huge allison transmission and continental air cooled engine out with my M1009 locked in low range. After crawlin around and lookin over the huge tranny and engine I found that the cast iron oil pan on the engine has a HUGE CRACK down the side. Talk about disapointed....
Im wonderin what caused this? could it be over heated or a broken crank that busted it? Its gonna be challenge to get the oil pan off, if anybody has any suggestions it sure would help.......

Heres the Pics....aua
Strange seeing a crack in a non stressed part. I have friends in holland who have these and I'll ask them if they have seen this before. I would think it's a manufacturing defect.

Jeepsinker

X2. The bendix is not engaging the flywheel. You can try tapping on it with a hammer. Don't hit it too hard or you'll bust the internal magnets, but don't be a pansy about it either.

scorpion6

It will be a bit before I can get back to it, but that will be the first thing I do it hit it and or pull it. The thing that just gets me is the lack of tm manuals. Im trying to get a wiring schematic and they are non existent. I will have to undo the linkage and universals to slide it out, and with the bad weather here , the lsst thing I want is rain and snow all over it. The motor hasnt been started in 20 years, but I was impressed with the clor of the fluids in it. They were like clean honey colored with no milking, but that still doesnt mean the rings cant be seized.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would highly recommend doing what is called a ground hop, that is run the engine OUT of the hull. You need to make 100% sure all the fuel system components are rebuilt and leak tight before running the engine in the hull. The AOS895 is a neat motor, lots of power.

scorpion6

Good idea, as I do not want to be a crispy critter. Any ideas for a wiring schematic. Never started or driven one before. Seems straight forward, but it took me a bit to realize the shifter had to be in a certain position before the starter would engage. all lights come on, but the little twist handle of which I have no idea of what is turned the lights dimmed and seemed to short the system to the point I thought the batteries were going to melt down. Turned it back and sll was well. I really need a step by step on starting one so I do not cook or roll over or yhrough the building.

scorpion6

Its on the far left side high on the instrument panel . A t handle that you have to pull and twist. It even says twist, so I did. Not gonna do that again, batteries are too expensive to melt down.

Jeepsinker

There are no other markings around the t handle to signify what it could be for? Are there any hydraulics on the vehicle other than out drives? It could maybe be for some kind of electro-hydraulic thingy.

scorpion6

No other markings. The whole con is marking free as most has been worn off by years of weather and paint loss. Wish someone had a good picture of the inside panel.

jkftl

Help on 895 details

Got a question for you bright fellas. I was recently asked to work on an m75 apc . Finally got batteries hooked up. All the control panel lights lite up. Slipped it into what I can only guess is a start position, hit the switch and the starter sounded like it was spinning, but no roll over. Are there any special tricks to starting this beast? Forgot to say it was running when parked, but that was 20 years ago. I suspect it is froze up. Havent pulled it out on the craddle yet. Also twisted the little handle on the laft and all the lights went dim and nearly had a melt down, whats up with that? Noticed that the power box at the rear of the motornear the twin magnetos has a wire or 3 to be exact that were cut with the screw in plug missing that goes into the box, any wiring schematics?
The small box is the Booster. When starting you MUST turn on booster for one mag until it catches. It's a buzz box to give spark before mag has enough speed to put out. You can check for 'frozen' by opening timing access on upper rear of engine and getting a big screwdriver in to pry on a tooth. I have a lot of experience with this engine and M-41, and just started fixing another one.

jkftl

WRONG
The starter on a 895 is on the accessory gear, NOT the flywheel. There is an elaborate overrunning gear on the starter shaft. If it is not engaging it may be rusty requiring starter removal. Never strike the Jack&Heintz or Eclipse starter!!!! You must get the engine freed up before engaging the starter. There is a very special wrench that engages the accessory gear drive under the domed cover 'front-and-center'. That is the ONLY safe way to do it. This engine is unbelievably complex and precise. It is NOT like a similar-looking aircraft engine.