• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

started to replace seals on the deuce

paulfarber

If one bearing is bad, you should replace both as a set. It would be just a matter of time before the other one went bad. I learned a good saying years ago. "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to have time to do it right the second time?". You don't want to have to replace that on the road.

Not to pick nits, but ALL bearing will 'go bad in a matter of time'. If the bearing is serviceable, use it. If its not, then replace it.

Knowledge = blindly replace both bearings
Wisdom = knowing which bearing is bad and keeping the the good one. :-D

amaverick88

went back outside today to finish pulling the rest of the hubs off and to see what was inside of them. mostly just gunk in there with dirt everywhere. the inner bearings on the front rear axle are being a pain by not coming off. i tried beating it with a hammer from the back side and tried to pry it as well. i may just have to wait til i get a bearing puller to get it off. also the front drivers spindle nuts seemed to be torqued down so tight. i bent all the ears off the retaining washer up put the socket on there and tried to loosen it but nothing. all i did was accomplish to bent the socket which was made out of i believe 1/8 or 1/4 inch steel. so i sprayed it down with wd-40 and decided to let it sit for a while and then to do it again once it is all soaked in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eriks Mil Surp Inner bearing assy, $35 Outer $41. Cones and cups.
ODI has a complete bearing kit for $89 OD Iron LLC Military Vehicle Parts and Accessories
The kit has both bearings and seals. You can always take a used serviceable bearing, clean, pack and store in truck for an emergency, yours or a friends. (Timkens by the way)

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to pick nits, but ALL bearing will 'go bad in a matter of time'. If the bearing is serviceable, use it. If its not, then replace it.

Knowledge = blindly replace both bearings
Wisdom = knowing which bearing is bad and keeping the the good one. :-D
Well judging by the photos, there's no way those bearing aren't bad or soon will be. With that amount of rust and dirt serious degradation is aready started. Pulling those duals is just too much of a PITA not to do it for me. I'd rather be cruising down the road with one less worry. 2cents8)

amaverick88

the drums dont look that bad. there are a few parts that are rubbed deeper than others. but nothing really that would keep it from doing its job. it just needs a good cleaning to it.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't it just make you want to hurry up and get it all fixed up so you can hit some mud holes?

armytruck63

Man, that truck has been abused! It's pictures like this that keep me from mudding or driving my vehicles through deep water.

Good luck on the repairs.

ctmustang

I would for sure replace all bearings and seals on your truck. And understand brakes work on friction and if the drums are all scored and rough then the brakes aren't working to their full potential. To work properly the drums and shoes need to be flat and smooth. I take my drums to work and turn them on an Ammco lathe. Thought I may need a bigger lathe but the regular lathe at work does a fine job. It may all cost a little now but to know everything is
A-OK the next time you take the truck out is priceless.
Just my 2cents
CT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks