• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

started to replace seals on the deuce

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
also the front drivers spindle nuts seemed to be torqued down so tight. i bent all the ears off the retaining washer up put the socket on there and tried to loosen it but nothing. all i did was accomplish to bent the socket which was made out of i believe 1/8 or 1/4 inch steel. so i sprayed it down with wd-40 and decided to let it sit for a while and then to do it again once it is all soaked in.
You may have to use a chisel to get the nut broke free. This can scar up the nut pretty bad but I've had to use a chisel before to get them broke loose.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
went back outside today to finish pulling the rest of the hubs off and to see what was inside of them. mostly just gunk in there with dirt everywhere. the inner bearings on the front rear axle are being a pain by not coming off. i tried beating it with a hammer from the back side and tried to pry it as well. i may just have to wait til i get a bearing puller to get it off. also the front drivers spindle nuts seemed to be torqued down so tight. i bent all the ears off the retaining washer up put the socket on there and tried to loosen it but nothing. all i did was accomplish to bent the socket which was made out of i believe 1/8 or 1/4 inch steel. so i sprayed it down with wd-40 and decided to let it sit for a while and then to do it again once it is all soaked in.
WHAT?!? You bent my socket, boy you are one tool tearin' up fool. I can't have nuthin' nice.

G-Force

Yes, worn brake pads are dangerous.... but there's something worse in your 1st picture.... :shock:
Is that the way all 4 corners are supported??

G.
As Gringle pointed out on page one of this post, and NOBODY else has said anything about it for the next 4 pages of posts.......PLEASE move your jack stands off of your dogbone ends......before we read about you in the obituary....

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Gringle pointed out on page one of this post, and NOBODY else has said anything about it for the next 4 pages of posts.......PLEASE move your jack stands off of your dogbone ends......before we read about you in the obituary....
And to be specific, they need to be under the axles themselves as close to the sides as possible. If yours won't reach up that high, you can use wood cribbing under the jacks, it should be free of splits, big knots, cracks, etc.

Please check the drums closely.

I have had a thin drum split on a 66 power wagon = No brakes!

Measure them. it can be deceptive how thin they are.

Also because of the irregular surface you will have only 10 to 15% contact with the new brake shoes.

Looking at the shoes I would be surprised if any of the drums are serviceable.

Mic 3:2 You who hate good and love evil; Who strip the skin from My people, And the flesh from their bones;
Mic 3:3 Who also eat the flesh of My people, Flay their skin from them, Break their bones, And chop them in pieces Like meat for the pot, Like flesh in the caldron."

Last edited:

amaverick88

i havent really done much else yet just have been looking up wear limits on the brake shoes and the drum. the lining needs at least 1/8th inch of material left and needs to have at least 1/16th inch of material above the 14 rivets in the lining. while the drum can be turned but the maximum diameter it can be after being turned is 15.130 inches. if it is more than that then it is unservicable. another thing i was learned today was the wheel cylinder in the 105 trailer is the same as the wheel cylinder as the deuce. i learned that after reading more into about the 105 brakes being the same as the deuce. havent found if they are exactly the same or not. anyone else know about this?

jasonjc

It depend on the M105. The old (1950) ones HAD the same brakes. But then they changed them to the brakes like on the M135/M211. These have 2 wheel cylinders per wheel. The (at least some) M105 wheel cylinders use a "U" shape o-ring and not the rubber cups like most wheel cylinders.
The M105 , M149 ,M200 and the older lube trailers all use the same brakes. Not sure but I'd bet the 6 ton semi trailers use the same brakes too.
2cents

DieselBob

As per TM 9-2330-213-14&P, the deuce uses the same as the M103A1, M105A1, M107A1. The later models, M103A3, M105A2, M105A2C, M107A2, M107A2C, M448 went to a 2 cylinder setup.

amaverick88

well went back out to check the brake shoes on the deuce. And what i thought was correct. all the brake shoes are worn beyond being servicability. so i need to get all new shoes. i am thinking the drums are going to need to be replaced as well but not sure yet as i have to take some measurements on the drums to see if they are bigger than the 15.130 limit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks