• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter push button

devilman96

A suggestion for this which is very common around auto electric shops... rather than having the push button carry the load install a 24V solenoid to run the starter solenoid ... I can do a drawing if you need but its a pretty simple task.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The starter solenoid should not be a problem for the standard push button switch, you may have a bad solenoid. When using the switch give it a firm push, if the contact is intermittant or weak, arcing/sparking will destroy it.
When switching inductive loads it's SOP to use some kind of arc suppression, but there is none on this switch. A simple diode or varistor would do the job.
If you use a relay as suggested by Mike, make sure contact protection is added or the relay contacts will not last long either.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think a dimmer switch would be a good idea. Many older farm tractors in the '50's like the SC Case and Massey 44 and 55 used a heavy duty push button you would not burn out. You can get them at an AGCO store, or maybe NAPA. You would need a bit larger hole in the dash for it, probably about 3/4 inch dia. They are made to handle full battery voltage on 6 and 12 volt systems. It will stand out from the dash about 1 1/2" unless you use a spacer behind the retainer bolts.
Regards Marti

RF202

Just how often are these switches failing ?? Sounds to me like you have other problems. All this switch does is send a small amount of current to energize the solenoid. It is not carrying the cranking voltage.

Bidslinger

RF202 said:
Just how often are these switches failing ?? Sounds to me like you have other problems. All this switch does is send a small amount of current to energize the solenoid. It is not carrying the cranking voltage.
About once a year. No big deal ,but here is the really peculiar part: 2 trucks in 2 locations fail on the same day! This has happened more than once. Coincedental?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks