• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter push button

devilman96

A suggestion for this which is very common around auto electric shops... rather than having the push button carry the load install a 24V solenoid to run the starter solenoid ... I can do a drawing if you need but its a pretty simple task.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The starter solenoid should not be a problem for the standard push button switch, you may have a bad solenoid. When using the switch give it a firm push, if the contact is intermittant or weak, arcing/sparking will destroy it.
When switching inductive loads it's SOP to use some kind of arc suppression, but there is none on this switch. A simple diode or varistor would do the job.
If you use a relay as suggested by Mike, make sure contact protection is added or the relay contacts will not last long either.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think a dimmer switch would be a good idea. Many older farm tractors in the '50's like the SC Case and Massey 44 and 55 used a heavy duty push button you would not burn out. You can get them at an AGCO store, or maybe NAPA. You would need a bit larger hole in the dash for it, probably about 3/4 inch dia. They are made to handle full battery voltage on 6 and 12 volt systems. It will stand out from the dash about 1 1/2" unless you use a spacer behind the retainer bolts.
Regards Marti

RF202

Just how often are these switches failing ?? Sounds to me like you have other problems. All this switch does is send a small amount of current to energize the solenoid. It is not carrying the cranking voltage.

Bidslinger

RF202 said:
Just how often are these switches failing ?? Sounds to me like you have other problems. All this switch does is send a small amount of current to energize the solenoid. It is not carrying the cranking voltage.
About once a year. No big deal ,but here is the really peculiar part: 2 trucks in 2 locations fail on the same day! This has happened more than once. Coincedental?