• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter relay got stuck

84cucv1ton

its a 87 m1028. 30k on it. all stock other then the doghead relay. had some creative wiring done by the military. took it all off. cleaned ever ground and connection front to back. all seemed ok for a while. 2 new batteries. 950cca. would hit the button for the gp for 15 seconds. now that its really cold. been hard to start. was cranking it today. relay stuck open. pulled the - of the front battery. it stopped cranking about 20 seconds later 3 blue wires burnt up by the gp relay. 1 wire goes over to the power block. other 2 join and go to the block to the left of the gp relay. I have a new relay on order. wiring is not my stong point. where should I start with this?? thanks a lot.[thumbzup]

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the starter solenoid stuck. Possible the DH relay but not likely.

The CUCV Helpful Threads sticky covers the replacement of the fusible links, what happens when you remove one battery cable and most of the other issues.

Keith_J

Dog Head relay...DH relay.

I would pull the starter to bench check it. It could have been that solenoid or more likely, the mechanical linkage of the Bendix drive which can go over center and stick.

I had had it happen, only it was missing the pinion retainer. The pinion eventually chewed enough of the nose cone bearing to go over center. I didn't pull the starter, next time it BROKE the aluminum nose cone. I then pulled it and found the problem. I welded the nose cone back together as fracture lines were tight. Weld on inside, then cut the crack on the outside and weld it up for full pen precise weld. And installed the correct retainer. Plus an overhaul, it has been flawless.

84cucv1ton

OK pulling it out. i need 3 starters for my trucks. where can i find a rebuild kit? can i replace the fusible links with blade fuses? need to cut it out anyway, might as well put in a blade fuse.

roveroverme

Banned
OK pulling it out. i need 3 starters for my trucks. where can i find a rebuild kit? can i replace the fusible links with blade fuses? need to cut it out anyway, might as well put in a blade fuse.
I have 450amp fuses PM me if you like one. They come with their own fuse block . Made for high amperage applications especially for wiring to starter . They handle up to 32v safely and over 500 amps
P2050215.jpg

P2060217.jpg
P2060215.jpg
P2060216.jpg

Last edited:
Relative question here...Ive owned. 4 cucv's in the last 20 years and a bunch of civilian trucks with the same engines etc.. why do these trucks need a stater relay at all whats wrong with just powering the starter solonoid the same way the civilian trucks do ?

Wheres the benifit IE: if its required on military truck why isnt it required on civilian trucks with the same eng and etc.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's needed because the civilian portion of the wiring harness that the key actuates is 12 volts, and the starter solenoid is 24 volts.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know why they chose to do the conversion as they do. I've actually never read through it.

Im sure they had their reasons, I converted the majority of my trucks for many reasons the major one was the 6.2 was smoked and I have more experance with BBC engines and since I couldnt find a 24v starter for the bbc engine I pulled the 24v circuits and never looked. back.

I do not know why they chose to do the conversion as they do. I've actually never read through it.

84cucv1ton

Good afternoon, if I cut out fusible link and replace it with a piece a wire for now am I asking for trouble? Time is short for me right now. I really need this truck for Thursday or spend a bunch of money and rent something. I was thinking replaced the fusible link with a piece a wire to a get the fuses in the mail and hopefully I can work on a few other little problems and use the truck. Thoughts?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahhhhh Haaàa.

ok, But its interesting to know that even after its converted via roscommon method it still uses the relay.
If you do the Rosscommon conversion, you can remove the starter relay and jumper the two purple wires. Or just leave the relay in place.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good afternoon, if I cut out fusible link and replace it with a piece a wire for now am I asking for trouble? Time is short for me right now. I really need this truck for Thursday or spend a bunch of money and rent something. I was thinking replaced the fusible link with a piece a wire to a get the fuses in the mail and hopefully I can work on a few other little problems and use the truck. Thoughts?
You can replace with regular wire as a "very" temporary fix.

Have you read the Fusible Link 101 sticky? It shows how I replace fusible links.

roveroverme

Banned
I definitely wouldn't just use a wire, I'd get a fusible link or a new fuseblock . The ones I have are specifically for starter protection and high amperage applications

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you have sex with a stranger with no protection, just once?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks