• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter stuck on

hg adams

The starter stuck on my 1028. Before I could get it shut off, the battery post connector on the back battery melted in half. I put a new post connector on and jumped the truck. It started fine and I left it running for an hour. I tried starting it the next morning and the batteries were dead. So I tried jumping it again and it won't start. All I get is a clicking noise or the engine just turns real slow. Do I pull the starter and replace it or could it have ruined both batteries?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seriously, there is a VERY well known issue with the factory starter relay. They will fail and let the starter run away resulting in destroyed starters, batteries and many burnt wires or fusible links.

There is rumor that the military issued a Tech manual to upgrade the relay but no one has been able to find it. Supposidly it is very simular to what Doghead came up with.

He replace the weak relay (that started its life as a A/C relay) with a heavyduty unit. The relay is used in many things. Some of them being riding lawn mowers, Semi-trucks, etc.

Here is a link to the sticky talking about the upgrade. I also have included the starter syatem wiring diagram.

Many of our members have been thru the same problem.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/60960-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/60958-cucv-battery-starter-wiring.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/70846-poll-who-has-done-dodhead-relay-conversion.html

hg adams

Put 2 new batteries in the truck this morning. Same thing happened. So I guess it must be the starter. Where would I find a new starter so I can get this thing running again and sell it. This was the last draw and I am tired of tinkering with this thing.

Cucvnut

Dude chill out 73 if you don't like cucv's stop posting in here. But to the op have you not read anything in this thread? Change your relay end of story. It will fix your problem.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send me a PM on how much you want for it AS-IS. I enjoy tinkering with them.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dude chill out 73 if you don't like cucv's stop posting in here. But to the op have you not read anything in this thread? Change your relay end of story. It will fix your problem.

His starter is more than likely fried also.

GSDFHEALEY

Doghead mod

The doghead mod works great. My 85 M1008 starter never stuck but the relay clicked real fast. This took place after several good starts. I took the starter relay apart ripped the guts out of it and soldered the right gage wires to the post. I didnt want to cut the connector off the wiring harness. I made an adapter out of the bad relay..again I suggest the doghead mod

ralbelt

This site makes me laugh every day,always another drama. Love you guys. Makes all the other bull I put up with every day go away.

Now lets hope The OP will pay attention so he can get his truck running.

cpf240

The doghead mod works great. My 85 M1008 starter never stuck but the relay clicked real fast. This took place after several good starts. I took the starter relay apart ripped the guts out of it and soldered the right gage wires to the post. I didnt want to cut the connector off the wiring harness. I made an adapter out of the bad relay..again I suggest the doghead mod
This is exactly the way I want to do the doghead starter relay mod for my M1009. I take it there was plenty of material inside the old relay to solder new wires to, etc? I don't suppose you have any pictures?

hilber

I wonder why some of you even responded to his problem. It seems some of you think being helpful is slamming someone. Thanks to those that did offer some help to him. I generally lay low on this site because I have seen so many new people get slammed by some of you so called 4 star Generals. As a matter of fact I think one of you have your reply set on automatic as it seems that one response is all you have to new people. Training can be done in a postive way. I know you not going to like it but if you can't be of help then don't reply.

To the OP; PM me and I'll help you out.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Play nicely children, or you'll go to your rooms without your dinner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks