• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter stuck on

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original poster, you asked for advice, read it. The fix has been presented, its up to you to implement it. 73m819 & cucvnut, please stop this back and forth banter. Nothing good comes out of measuring apendages in a public forum. Some like certain things, some don't. Its life, carry on.

flyxpl

You need a new starter and relay . If you put on a new starter and do not replace the relay , you will ruin a new starter .

100acre

Gaaak

This just happend to me and I had to replace the starter too. I belive my ignition switch is bad. I went to advanced auto and bought a quick connect/disconnect i looks like a frankenstein throw switch. Ive seen other types too. So if the starter ever freezes up again i can run to the hood throw the switch and it stops sending juice to the starter but the engine continues to run. On my new starter it kept freezing up and wouldnt disengage so I tried removing the shim . that didnt work so I added an extra shim (2) alltogether, and she runs great. I still need to address the issues Im having with the column; no horn, bad ignition switch, not centered steering wheel and failure of left turn signal to cancel when turning wheel. I'm thinking of replacing the whole column with a K 30 column if I can find a used one. I also had replaced the doghead relay.NAPA part # 7-01860-1.
The starter I bought I got for $114.00 from Rare Electrical 866 695 0363 it is a brand new starter . No core fee and it is an import from Taiwan ugh nasty foul language. sorry. But she runs and now is a ship o the line and not just an anchor:grin:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
During a starter run-on, you do not want to disconnect the front battery neg cable. If you do, it will continue to crank with 12v from the rear battery. The 12+ wire will back feed to ground through the circuits and mess up plenty of stuff(besides the normal run-on issues).

Simply change your relay to the one I suggested in the DH mod thread, and you'll be fine.

Chief_919

During a starter run-on, you do not want to disconnect the front battery neg cable. If you do, it will continue to crank with 12v from the rear battery. The 12+ wire will back feed to ground through the circuits and mess up plenty of stuff(besides the normal run-on issues).

Simply change your relay to the one I suggested in the DH mod thread, and you'll be fine.
When I disconnect the front ground, I get no power to anything. Unless the ground isn't properly isolated on the alternator feeding the read battery, I don't see where it would backfeed through?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trust me, it has happened before and been posted here on SS. It can and will happen.

If the starter motor is going and the front battery ground is removed, it can ground through the small 12+ wire and continue to crank with 12v.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still can have the same issue. The 12v+ wire is attached to the rear battery negative cable. It would need to be discconected to stop the issue I described.

once again, do the DH mod and you'll be fine.

GSDFHEALEY

This is exactly the way I want to do the doghead starter relay mod for my M1009. I take it there was plenty of material inside the old relay to solder new wires to, etc? I don't suppose you have any pictures?
The relay is a prime line 7-01860-1 can be found at O'Riellys auto parts for $9.00. No pics sorry but to answer the question about soldering. There is plenty to solder to. Pry the bent over tabs up that hold the cover on. remove the coil. I drilled a hole in the end tabs that make up the switch part. You'll understand once you remove the cover. Its easy to do. I heat shrinked the solder joints and used silicone to cover all of it about 2" down the wires. I used aluminum tape to fill with silicone. let cure. if you have any problems message me and I'll make a spare and take pics of it.

NCBloodhound

I did the doghead starter relay mod, but about 6 months later, the starter stuck again. Turns out my ignition wasn't popping back out of "start" once I let go of the key. It took me a couple of starts before I realized what was happening.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the doghead starter relay mod, but about 6 months later, the starter stuck again. Turns out my ignition wasn't popping back out of "start" once I let go of the key. It took me a couple of starts before I realized what was happening.

Did this happen with no advanced warning or, was your key switch sticking for some time prior?

NCBloodhound

Did this happen with no advanced warning or, was your key switch sticking for some time prior?
The switch has always been fairly loose, but it happened with no real warning. By loose I mean that there isn't much resistance or change in feel between the different positions (Acc, off, on, start). The first time it happened all the lights on my dash stayed on and the starter stayed engaged for a few seconds. The second time it happened I went to grab the key again and felt it pop back into the on position. That is when I realized what was happening.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks