• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting issues on deuce!

DEVILDOC

Hey gang.. Haven't been on here in a while, I got a nice m35a2 w/winch couple months ago. It runs and drive GREAT. I drive it once a week and no issues...until today.
Drove about 45 miles today and whenever I stopped and got back into the rig, turned everything on then hit the start button NOTHING but click-click. Which is strange no issues because the charging gauge works and charging batteries. So I rolled her off and come home. Got home and checked batteries connections cleaned and reinstalled and still click click. So rolled it off and check the charging system and it's working batteries have a full charge. So it's the starter either the solenoid so next I am going to check starter connections and clean them and reconnected. Whenever it cools off today it 115 degrees today here in NC! Any suggestions! And Parade is the morning .

Flyingvan911

Check the ground behind the batteries. You might need to clean the contact area on the frame and cable. Also check the voltage coming from the alternator.

Flyingvan911

Pull out the batteries and you'll see the negative cable bolted to the frame. Pull the bolt off and clean the connection. It got my engine cranking faster by 100 rpm.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I concur with the above diagnosis.

I replaced the starter on my little chinese tractor and it wouldn't hit a lick even with hot batteries and my pickup hooked to it.

The negitive ground cable was corroded where it went into the batttery terminal....cleaned it good and she fired right up.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Continuity test should show if the switch is good or bad. When you press the button, there should be continuity. The relay I'm not sure about. If I remember right, someone said the disk that makes contact in the relay gets carboned up. You are supposed to be able to take it apart and flip that disk over to restore operation.

two.fiveM35

Are you batteries good. What are the voltages on each one? My started fine until I went to a rally and drove the trails. The next day it wouldn't start without a jump. I think the trails shorted something inside the battery .Great looking truck.

DEVILDOC

Thanks . :doghead:was going to 4th July parade in the morning ,but since issues just going give up my parade spot. Drove it 1 day every week for last 2 months 65 mile round trip. No issues then today........??? Oh well lol.

DEVILDOC

I think it might have found.....the issue took the batteries out and checked them. The rear battery states 10.36v and front 12.56v. So the batteries are going to be slowed charged this morning . Then try again it is HOT already here at 7am .......90degrees .....love NC weather !