• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting my 5 ton crew cab project

Jeep Nasty

It's a blast, drive it everyday. I pick up my kids from daycare and run all my errands in it unless I know I can't find a parking spot where I'm going.
The kids love (so do I ), how everyone honks and gives us the thumbs up as we
motor around.

Vintage iron

Just started a Crewcab built for one of my return customers. It will have 5 bucket seats, two sunroofs, LineX floors and maybe suicide doors. Thanks for all your build posts, they have helped my answer some questions and avoid mistakes.

Jeep Nasty

Looks awesome, Nasty. Love the paint scheme. You might want to build a small cage/shroud to protect those parking brake lines.
Good observation, my kids have almost stepped on them a few times, I'm already brainstorming some type of cover to protect them.

Jeep Nasty

Nice looking truck. What are you using for insulation?
So the plan I'm working on right now is:

1 the interior has already been sprayed with upol raptor liner

2 I have applied Dynamat to the inside of the roof and on the new wall between the cabs.

3 I am putting 2" close cell egg crate foam on the ceiling

4M y buddy is building the headliner that with cover the ceiling and be cover in foam backed headliner material.

5 I will be using the same military style vinyl faced insulating foam on the back and side walls the the truck came with.

6 I am currently trying to order some of the super heavy military floor mat that I can custom cut to size. I have some strategically placed drain holes in the floor and being that it all covered in 2 part epoxy liner, I'm not worried about that heavy mat rusting out the floor like they commonly do.

I believe this combination should provide good sound, vibration and thermal insulation.

The weak spot will be any gaps around the windows which I'm trying to find some good weatherstripping to fill the door jams and window surrounds.

Last edited:

Stvn455

That is an amazing job. Congratulations. You have given me some great ideas for my future build. I really like that Army star on the side. It came out very nice. Please let us know how the road noise is once you get all the interior insulation installed.

Audiophile31

I know this is almost a year old, but if you're still looking for a heavy floor mat, tractor supply sells 1/2" 3/4" and 1" rubber horse stall mats. They come in around 8' wide and cut to length.

Jeep Nasty

I know this is almost a year old, but if you're still looking for a heavy floor mat, tractor supply sells 1/2" 3/4" and 1" rubber horse stall mats. They come in around 8' wide and cut to length.
That's what I ended up using. 3/4 stall mat from tractor supply.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks