• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

State Fire Apparatus

kfdk14

Wow awesome pics! My dept makes good use of the surplus program too in the past we've had m880's a gama goat, cucvs and various trucks from old gmc fuel tankers to a ford 2 wheel drive stake bed now we're down to an 813 an a2 and an a3. the 813 and a2 are loaners but the a3 will be inspected by our rural fire coor. and they will give us the title to it.:-D

wjruth

In one of the pics I think I see the Big E grounds in the background. I use to go to Southwick's fireman parade as a kid, plenty of neat truck from the surounding towns.

pwrwagonfire

Yup that would be the big E! Deffinately a cool place to check out if your a fire buff.

As a sidenote, those brush gaurds on the front of the FWDs, are actually filled with cement to keep them from crumpling when they push over trees (they can do this on cape cod's sandy soil). [thumbzup]

pwrwagonfire

Here are a couple more....amongst them, a water buffalo and a flood-light trailer. the last picture I cannot take credit for, it is from a fire buff website, but its such a neat truck that I wanted to share it! '43 GMC, pictures from ericsfirepics.com.

Also the M35 tanker picture shown here, was taken by a fellow firefighter at another district.

Attachments

surfdog

Just bought a m49a2c tanker in MA . Gotta pick it up in Cummington this weekend. More pics to follow once recovery is complete. Reportedly ran when parked 12 months ago.

Pwrwagonfire - know any history on this truck?

Attachments

pwrwagonfire

Just bought a m49a2c tanker in MA . Gotta pick it up in Cummington this weekend. More pics to follow once recovery is complete. Reportedly ran when parked 12 months ago.

Pwrwagonfire - know any history on this truck?

Cummington has A LOT of excess property equipment...as you will no doubt see when you go to pick it up. Possible they got it when another town turned it in, so that they could use it for parts. However I do know that District 12 Forest Fire Control had a tanker at one point, which they ended up giving to the town. If it has a large dent on the front part of the truck from a tree, it came from District 12. Let me know what is blacked out on the side, and I maybe can tell you more

pwrwagonfire

So what does all this pipe on the front do (other than look cool?)
The "bar-work" as we call it is to protect the truck as it pushes over trees; allow me to explain... In the southeastern portion of Massachusetts, and also New Jersey, these trucks are called brush breakers, and are literally used to make their own roads through the woods to the fire.

They are able to do this only because of the types of soils found in these places (VERY, VERY sandy) called pine barrens. These areas are exclusively pitch pine, and scrub oak. They can actually pick their way through the woods pushing over trees...very cool to see happen, but it takes extremely trained drivers. Each one of these brush breakers has riding positions on the back of it, where firefighters ride; we call this pump and roll, the truck has a separate motor powering the pump, so it can pump water and drive (as opposed to the usual structural firetruck PTO set up). Also, note the large skid plate under the front of the truck to protect the engine compartment and front axle. Also interesting note- on most of these trucks the bar work is actually filled with cement...this is to prevent it from crumpling.

The guys ride on the back, putting out the fire as the truck flanks the fire.

If you guys would like to learn more, go to CapeCodFD.com Home, and click on the 'photo features' section. Scroll down until you see the link titled "brush breakers" this is an extensive photo history from the origins of these trucks, to present day...very cool!

Last edited:

pwrwagonfire

Who takes care of all that old steel? Yall must have a big shop facility, any pics of it?
Good question! We have several shop facilities located across the state region by region...we have 5 regions, so 5 major shops. These regional locations also deal with recreation and park vehicles mostly.

Most of the fire districts have their own shop facilities, which can be pretty extensive. In my district we have the capabilities to do a lot of heavy engine repair, as well as fabrication.

Unfortunately layoffs across the state have made these "district shops" difficult to operate during the winter months when a lot of the major repairs need to be done...this is mostly due to our increased reliance on seasonal truck operators (work from March till October/November full time) as opposed to the year round positions which would normally handle such repairs. So we have had to begin to rely on more and more private business.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks