• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Stealth" Muffler for a Deuce?

OD_Coyote

WillWagner - I tried to get the P/N you provided, but my supplier could not find one.
He had this Flowmaster unit in stock and the dimensions were identical to the one you recommended, so opted to try it.

Thanks for the info!

OD_C

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hookin1 has a turbo with muffler hidden. Don't have any pics, maybe he will chime in with some info.

Dennis

Last edited:

Hookin1

Okay guys my muffler is mounted behind the battery box, it has the inlet and outlet on the same end..i will be going over to the truck today,so i will get some pics and the part number off of the muffler.......the muffler is for a newer i think ford straight truck with a turbo diesel engine..the inlet and outlet are the same size as the duece exhaust. it is really quite as far as the exhaust is concerned, but of course now you hear everthing else...off course if it was'nt for the muffler i would have never caught second gear going out until it was too late. here are a couple of pics of the outside.....i'll post some tonight of the rest.

Attachments

houdel

moreorles2 said:
Lee- I thought that you had installed a Car Chemistry baffle insert last year? Did it not live up to your expectations?
Good memory. I did install a Car Chemistry collector insert in my top stack last fall. Cold weather and my wife's medical problems prevented me from taking any hard measurements with my sound meter. I did see a noticeable decrease in exhaust noise, I'm guessing maybe 5-7 dBa or so, but the truck is still too loud for my tastes.

Once the weather warms up and I have some free time I might experiment with the baffle and packing options with the collector insert and see how well it will do. I want to install some sort of gauge to measure back pressure first to make sure I am not choking my turbo though. The max boost I can get from my "C" turbo is 8 PSI, I have seen others on this board claim to get up to 12 psi from a stock "C" turbo.

One noticeable side effect of the CC collector insert - I had previously wire brushed and painted my exhaust system with high temp 1200F exhaust paint, and driven it enough before installing the insert that it was fully cured. After a fair amount of driving with the insert there is visible discoloration in the paint where the insert is located. Nothing serious, though.

Hookin1

Alright i finally got some pics and a part number for you guys.... :D

The muffler is a donaldson #M091049 i have a pic of the muffler out of the truck too. I am having the elbows welded to the muffler so they will be shorter. As it is right now the muffler is against the transfer and the elbows are rubbing the spring shackle. So with the outlets on the muffler shortened about 2 inches and the elbows welded it will fit better.

Also if your truck was a non-turbo or a gas at one time, unless they cut it off there should be a bracket on the inside of the frame behind the battery box for the muffler mount.

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

RE: Muffler

Hookin 1 Sez:
it is really quite as far as the exhaust is concerned, but of course now you hear everthing else...
After installing a muffler on Rosie I then did away with the water pump fan and installed an electric cooling fan. Removing the 13 HP fan "really" quieted things down.

Food for thought ... I'm in the process of installing an under seat arctic battery box. Doing so is going to free up a LOT of space where the batteries usually reside that could be used to position a large muffler.

It's out of the way --- no one would even know it is there. Like I said --- "food for thought".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks