• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Belt Radials for stock Rims

Westex

Have read all the posts, done my homework, and I feel like I'm on the set of LOST; question posed is "what are the biggest steel belted tires I can run on the stock rims". My current nylon NDT's are being chewed up royally on my rocky ranch road.

kc5mzd

Some of mine came with 11r20 stock. they work great for rockygravel roads. The tread looks like highway tread but works good off road. Some m35's came with "x" series that have argessive offroad tread. There are alot of people that put larger tires on their trucks, mostly to help with the top end. For gravel roads the 11r20 tires work well. They are usually used as singles not duels.

deathrowdave

I don't know if you want to change rims . But easy to swap to 11R22.5 with different wheels . Tires are radial design and are
everywhere . You have a greater choice of tread designs . Have a great and safe day,Dave

kc5mzd

I don't know if you want to change rims . But easy to swap to 11R22.5 with different wheels . Tires are radial design and are
everywhere . You have a greater choice of tread designs . Have a great and safe day,Dave

I can't seem to find 6lug 22.5 rims here in TX...

Westech

CPL
Rims with 6 holes are VERY hard to find in 22.5, are you thinking about the 5 ton rims maybe?
The good year G177 works well on a stock rim and a tube and also can be ran as dual. There surplus and cheaper then a New tire.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have a set of those goodyears for my tractor.. unless i can get a set of michlen xls then i would sell off those near new goodyears

deathrowdave

6 Lug 22.5 wheels look at UPS , FEDX , International Trash hauler . They are out there just need to look. I got mine for 20.00 each. Truck steering much easier with radials . But have now added power assist. I will try to post pictures soon. Have been running recap 22.5 on rears 125.00 each new !!!

Westex

All I want to do is get some decent radials I can mount on the stock rims; getting "other" types of rims here in El Paso is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, and when you do, the needle is bent and rusted.

jesusgatos

Yup. Got a set mounted on Mah Deuce and they look pretty sweet, but I've only driven a few miles on them. They're rated to carry more than double the stock tires, so I'm running singles on modified stock wheels.

hklvette

I have 11R20 XLs all the way around on mine. I think Gay's Tire Service in GA might have them if you're looking for some. I like them a lot, but they tend to flat-spot if they sit for a while.

jollyroger

OK. Your in El Paso, TX. 100dollarman has everything from 395's down. Whatever you want for your deuce. He has bigger but the 395 is as big as you can go without the tandems touching. He is in Lucerne Valley, CA. I am near Denver, CO and took a vaccation to Las Vegas when I got my tires from him. He is about 2 hours from Vegas.

395's will fit on stock rims. They take a bit of wrangling to get the lock ring back on the rim but not really too bad. I used a 30 gallon drum and two friends to help get them mounted.

Set the rim over the drum. Put the tire on the rim. use a hoist or chainfall to pull tire bead up from rim. Clean inside of tire. No rocks or debris. Sling baby powder all over the inside of the tire. Rub baby powder all over tube and liner. Insert tube and liner. Insert valve stem into liner hole and then through rim. Make sure tube is not pinched under liner and is not twisted. Set lock ring onto tire bead with slot 180 degrees away from valve stem. Have friend pry down the ring with a breaker bar at the 11 o'clock position from the slot through cooler holes in the rim. Have other friend stabilize wheel with another breaker bar on the opposite side through cooler holes. Work ring down with prybars going counter clockwise from slot until seated. Remove valve stem core. Inflate tube to 10 lbs. Let it deflate. Inflate to 20 lbs. Let it deflate. Reinstall valve stem core. Inflate tire to desired pressure. I run my 395's at 65 lbs. Watch lock ring to make sure it is seated properly and that the tire bead is all the way seated while inflating. For safety you can wrap a chain through the cooler holes in the rim around the tire. That way if the ring lets loose for some reason it has something to retain it.

I will put up some pictures.

If you have to you can run the 9.00 X 20 tubes in the 395's if they are in good shape. I did and have a couple go bad but it took about a year. But......Do you really want to dismount the tires just to put tubes back in them if they go bad in a week? So 11.00-13.80 R tubes cost me $25 each. 14.00 R tubes cost me $35 each. You do the math and make your own choice.

As for performance. I can get 65 MPH out of the truck now. It sniff's a hill and I am downshifting but I also live at 6000 ft. Off road it is great. I air down to 15 and it rides real smooth. Great traction too.

100dollarman is on SS. He can hook you up with a set of tires.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks