• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers and Desert Rat visit Howard's

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Brent, you have been a great help and thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I can swing it. Wonder how a goat would tow behind a deuce?

Desert Rat

You could do it if the bearings turn. However, I would not trust a Goat bearing lasting the trip after sitting in mud for 20+ years. That's why we used a trailer. See if you could borrow one. It's well worth using.

1958 M274

Actually, I have heard of some goats with Chevrolet small block V8s in them! It has a standard GM SM420 transmission, so getting them together would not be that much trouble.

True, aluminum does not rust, but it turns into a white powder and blows away or falls off! That can be worse than rust! :shocked:

Bjorn, I don't think you want to try towing one. With the articulation and 4 wheel steering of the goat, I personally think it would be accident waiting to happen. :skull: Plus you have about 20 universal joints turning that have not been greased in who knows how many years. That could get expensive at around $100 each! [2cents] [2cents] [2cents]

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Would have to agree with that. The undercarriage is looking mighty nasty on this one after being at ground level for the past 20 years. The steering works, but is VERY stiff and needs completely gone thru and greased. A 16' trailer will do it, barely, as you can see from my pics. An 18' would be easier. The wieght, about 6000 lbs I'm guessing sans engine and tranny, was no problem behind my Dodge. Gross trailer weight of about 8000 pounds so about GCVW of 16k. I got 14.5 mpg towing empty and 10.5 mpg on the return trip averaging 70 mph. Not bad eh?

You would have to beat me half to death to convince me to go back to Howards and dig up another Goat any time soon, or grease my palms with cash. Towing the carcase home was the easy part. The PITA was scrounging for 12 hours in the rain, ticks, deer flies, chiggers, and mud to make it complete. Phewww!

Desert Rat

Chris,
Wow, by your discription it sounds like you're ready to go back on Saturday for another round! I'll see ya there! :roll: :lol: :banghead: :smilewinkgrin:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oooh, Chevrolet haters! I love it. Don't hate the players, hate the game. I rather like the bowtie brigade. Got no problem with the Chryslers either. I've been driving Crown Vics daily since we went back to them in 1994 (arrgh). The ocean isn't deep enough for them. I'm glad other folks like them so I don't have to.

Elwenil

Nah, not a hater, just have to give any fans of the big dog some crap every so often. We underdogs actually like being the underdog. Mopar fans are the best of the bunch, since we can relate to both Ford and Chevy guys. We relate to the Ford bunch because we don't like Chevy's, and we relate to the Chevy bunch because we don't like Fords, lol. Naturally having the Mopar legacy behind us gives us all sorts of ammo in most bench racing discussions and the fact that the world's most powerful automotive V8 is a Mopar doesn't hurt either, lol.

Desert Rat

Again,
I'll concur upto the Lee Iacocca era and the bailout of '83. From that point on parts prices and availability went way beyond the ordinary means of the average guy :shakehead: . In the old days Mopar was THE way to go [thumbzup] . Now it's a rich man's car [:(!] . Buying the whole thing is fine, but parts will :skull: you!

Desert Rat

Kenny,
I pride myself in the fact I draw blood, namely my own, on working on them. That's why I much prefer MVs. They're a potpourri of makers manufacturing to the same specs.. Too bad the civy stuff isn't the same. Plus I can draw blood much easier with heavier parts! Heck, it's a wonder we didn't have biohaz placards on the Goat before we left. Chris and I both made hefty contributions to the project.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, you guys are killing our thread, take the brand wars back to the conversations forum or I'll have to beat you with a slightly used Goat exhaust system! [^]

Desert Rat

Elwenil,
I gues our boss is a bit upset with our ribbing each other. That exhaust could really hurt, especially the pipe going into the muffler! It's got a nasty little hook to the left on it. In other words, ducking won't help (darn the luck!).

Ok, SORRY with a cherry on top. Better?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks