• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers emails and site issues

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello everyone,

First of all, I cannot apologize enough for the outage we had today and the emails that were sent. We were hacked during the day. The hacker exploited a weakness in a module of the board. From that point they were able to inject a "plug-in" that allowed them the ability to redirect the website and use the mailer system to send out the two emails about the "revolution" and once I regained control of the site, they still had access to the mailer process. Which they used to send the "coward" email.

I know I've been reamed by countless members (I've lost count of the emails) about this. Unfortunately it's just one of the downfalls of having something on the web. There's always going to be someone finding a new way to exploit something.

It appears that the intent of the hack was to get out their "message" via the email and the site redirect. It could have been worse I suppose, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Again, I'm sorry about the events of today.

Drew

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your hard word on this brother. I never thought for one nano second that it was anything besides a hack.

Even though you share the same avatar as they do.

rofl

Rustygears

I'm in the same biz. Sorry to see it happen to SS. I guess that makes you part of the big boys club seeing someone bothered to hack this little forum.

Thanks for all you do and stemming the bleeding. You turned things around quickly as well. No outage for months!

PeterD

As Dog says, most of us realized almost instantly what had happened. You did a great recovery, and we are all glad the site is up and working!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for your hard word on this brother. I never thought for one nano second that it was anything besides a hack.

Even though you share the same avatar as they do.

rofl
I really want to keep V, but in light of today's events, I'll find something else. :???:

I've used him everywhere for the past few years, I even "dress him up" for the holidays. But it just seems tarnished now, and I worry about the image everyone has now.

AceHigh

No apology needed IMO.

Monday, Monday, so good to me
Monday Mornin', it was all i hoped it would be
Oh Monday Mornin', monday mornin' couldn't guarntee
That Monday evenin' you would still be here with me
Monday Monday can't trust that day :beer:

dependable

Thanks for your work on the site. A friend of mine has an account with Stratfor, which got hacked by (allegedly) the same group. He said his credit card on file with them may have been accessed . Just a heads up for those who might be on file.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for your work on the site. A friend of mine has an account with Stratfor, which got hacked by (allegedly) the same group. He said his credit card on file with them may have been accessed . Just a heads up for those who might be on file.
There are no credit cards on file (that I know of) on the site. The only thing that comes close to dealing with finical info on the site is for the upgrade account process, but that is handled via paypal. The data is not stored locally.

TIGERFANS2

Well ok for the rest of you but MY feelings are still hurt. :mrgreen:

I love irony and what more ironic that an anonymous group calling others cowards!

kastein

I say keep V right where he is.

V from the movie was more of a fighter for natural rights and less of a fighter for overthrowing the existing financial and political system. Natural rights vs overthrowing and creating new entitlements (not rights) are two very different things.

Probably one of my favorite movies.

poppop

Don't worry about it Drew. There is nothing you could have done to prevent this and since you are the computer MAN members called you. I had a local member call me to see what the he?? was going on and I told him we must have been hacked and you would handle it post hast, which you did. Thank you again for the time and expertice you provide to SS.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the explanation Patracy. We all know (or should know) it's not your fault. These things happen, and I for one am very glad you were able to regain control of the site and prevent the loss of data or complete destruction of the site.

I'm curious though, it seems I've witnessed several moderately successful hacks of steel soldiers in my short time here. I've been a member on other boards for years, since 2002 in one case, and I haven't personally experienced any effect from a hack. Is it the software used here, or the content that draws attacks?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks