• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers emails and site issues

Katahdin

Sorry the hacking caused you the grief. I was amused by the emails and the redirect, you should be flattered SS.com was interesting enough to outsiders to be a target.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I've been reamed by countless members (I've lost count of the emails) about this.
This is the worst part of the whole deal. I think it's awful that people would chew you out for what some attacker did. I try and think the best of the membership here as a whole but when I hear things like this I have to wonder.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As soon as I started to read the "coward" email I knew it was a hack. No apologies necessary on part of the Admins. Good job on the quick recovery:beer:[thumbzup]

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, good job cleaning up the issues and getting everything back up and running.

I wouldn't sweat the V avatar, and definitely no issue with the job you are doing.

BTW, I would Ban Anonymous, I consider those emails to be political statements. :)

Thanks for the Steel Soldiers!

trowel

As expected Drew i was waiting for your apology after fireing off the email to the Hacker but still is not accepting it, it is not your fault and i did not see it as SS touble at all in any way, i knew it was a Hacker right off the back.
I may not post much here but im here now, he got my attention, i want his name and adress.
Good to see SS back up and running, Drew, you did a good job.

minimalist

I too am surprised members got bent over this obvious hack. Anybody could get the fact that the poorly written diatribe by the hack was no "V" speech or anything close to the founding father's eloquent verbage.

trowel

I too am surprised members got bent over this obvious hack. Anybody could get the fact that the poorly written diatribe by the hack was no "V" speech or anything close to the founding father's eloquent verbage.

An't that the truth, sounded like a bored little boy with nothing better to do.
Was not much to ascertain at all.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drew, I can't believe anyone on SS would send you an angry message. It was absolutely obvious that the site had been hacked. Thanks for the good work and definitely keep V.
My words also!
I just took the rest of the day off (of SS), hoping for the best... (actually got a lot of things done)

Glad it got fixed so quick!
Thumbs up for the Great rescue work!:beer:

G.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just think of what would have happened if our previous admin was still at the helm. :shock:

cbvet

One of my uncles flew bombers in WWII Europe, the Korean War, and in VietNam.

Once, when he was home on leave, he took me for a ride in a rickety old 2-seat plane. We had to land often just to add oil to the engine & clean oil off the windows.

I asked "Aren't you scared, flying in this thing?"
He said "As long as they're not shootin' at you, it's no big deal."

Good words to live by.

idM1028

Eh, no biggie. Seems they were good enough to hack the site, but not good enough to keep gmail from shooting the e-mails straight into the spam can :mrgreen: I didn't even know the site had been hacked until I got the REAL e-mail. Check the spam, "Oh well I guess it did..." lol

Heath_h49008

As hacks go... that was friendly.

The person who did it was gentle, and aside from stating/promoting his agenda, didn't get too nasty.

They will, without a doubt be reading this as we dust ourselves off.

Had they wished to be nasty, or had they (if it was actually an ANON related hack which is speculative) we all might have had out e-mails linked to NAMBLA or some other nastiness.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but if any of you use the same password for this site as any of your other online accounts, you need to change them IMMEDIATELY. Just to be safe, if they know you use this password for one thing, you might use it for others. It will take a while for them to fish them all, but better safe than sorry. Think PayPal, Ebay, Banks, etc...
2cents

Ripcord01

I have 34 bull**** emails from this crap..I mean two or three is annoying but 34 is friggking ridiculos.. I pay my email server not to alllow this crap to happen.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen other forums and sites get owned. When I saw the first message I knew someone was going to have some work ahead of them to restore from backup and do some patching.

Appreciate the good work you do Drew.

First thing that occurred to me was that I would need to change my password.

Thanks for the heads up on that Heath!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Thank you for quickly restoring the site, and I wish you luck at keeping the cockroaches out in the future. After a brief instant of "WTF" passed when I got the first email, it was obvious to me that the email was not legitimately sent by SS folks. I hope that anybody who gave you grief will apologize for their mistake. Perhaps many of them were just not familiar with the sorts of shenanigans that destructive hackers and trolls get up to online, so they just didn't realize that the emails were illegitimate. It's pretty easy to get bent out of shape by things like the "coward" email, until you've seen enough online trolling to realize that the email is not personally targeted, and that the whole purpose of the sender is to get a rise out of the recipients.

Keep up the good work, and we've got your back!

Tennessee Colonel

I look at this as a sign of things to come. Please deactivate my membership and delete my user name and e-mail address from your files immediately!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks