• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers migration 12/9/19

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
NOTIFICATION OPTIONS

Under 'Thread Tools' on the old site we had an option of being notified by .......control panel.........instant notification by email....etc.

Is that option here somewhere? I'm looking! It seems the new posts go directly to email notification default.

If post info goes directly to an email addy would it be hilarious if I changed the email in my profile to AMGeneral's email address?
I'm kidding, I'd forward all the posts to Quebec's Minister of Transportation.

Other than potential email overload my M135 sure looks good with a sassy new website wrapped around her.
Watched threads are here:

From the navbar when you're viewing threads it will be listed there. You can specify what you want the thread notifications to do as well.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know it was fixed for another member but I'd like to see where folks are from under their avitar, is that a feature I have to select if so where would I find it? Also in my feedback scores the same feedback shows up 3 and 4 times as duplicates for many of them
It's under everyone's postbit. Below postcount, thanks/likes, and trophies. I'll see what I can do about the duplicates.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM section rights should be corrected to block people from posting and staff should have mod rights.

G and Ty, looking at your profiles, you both are set to moderators and that group has ability to search. I might have updated it since, please let me know if you're not able to search.
I've got the search icon now. I don't know what you did, but it seems to have fixed it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been around here long enough to remember some other other times we changed software and if I remember right sever crash or soft ware. It's always seems to take a few days/weeks to iron all the bugs out. But in the long run it has always been better in the end. Was every one happy , no but what can you do.

Thank you Patracy and Steelsoldiers and all the mod's that work so hard to make this site great. With out you I would have a lot more grass to mow as it wouldn't be covered with trucks and trailers. :cool:

THANK YOU
Yes, I've been around here through a few site changes also. I have to admit, I don't like change, but I've come to learn that change is just a part of life, so I deal with it.

If Drew said we needed to change, I take his word on it, and we needed to change. Lord knows that I have no idea about what it takes to keep this site running on the software side, so I'm in no position question the change.

Augi

On the "New Posts" screen there is no longer a column indicating what forum the post belongs to. That was very useful to me to quickly determine what type of vehicle a given thread was about.

Augi

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
On the "New Posts" screen there is no longer a column indicating what forum the post belongs to. That was very useful to me to quickly determine what type of vehicle a given thread was about.

Augi
It's under the thread titles of each thread. Along with the original poster name, date/time.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

The button should be similar to the "Post Reply" button.

Here is the top button coloring when wanting to mark all threads read.
forums read button.jpg

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andrew, thanks for sorting out my issue! PM me your address and I will burn a copy of a Mil Art CD for you to browse

John Mc

An issue with the search function: It's ignoring some fairly important search terms. For example, if I search for "M37 brakes" I get a message at the top of the search return:
"The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: m37"

I can't get any search to use M37 for one of the search terms.

coachgeo

Could you expand upon what you're talking about? Are you talking about the posts displayed in a forum? Most of them are pinned/stuck. We probably should re-eval what should be stuck there.
one thing one can do as a moderator or admins...... and have done this as a Moderator myself successfully on several other boards to reduce all the pinned threads clouding up top of a forum......

. copy all the links to threads that were pinned to a text file.... and those that should be as well.
. Created a new single thread a Mod or Admin can edit

... cut paste all of the links put in text file into the top post of this new thread. This post now essentially has become a menu of good threads worth being pinning... but would be way to many if you actually did.
... if you want you can even organize this post for even better member use..... say all pins about CTIS under one heading in the post. All Pins about Gear swaps under another heading etc.

. removed all the old pins
. pin ONLY the newly created thread mentioned in first step(s)...

whala....... clean looking forum.... yet all the awesome threads worth a pin are still easy to find, better organized...... cleanly tucked away in the one pinned thread.

coachgeo

An issue with the search function: It's ignoring some fairly important search terms. For example, if I search for "M37 brakes" I get a message at the top of the search return:
"The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: m37"

I can't get any search to use M37 for one of the search terms.
NORMAL....... 99% of all search engines on boards like this do NOT search by only three characters. Was same way before upgrade to new software. Yup, for us motorheads that is a huge issue but so far no solution but using an outside search engine's advanced features like google or bing

Last edited:

John Mc

NORMAL....... 99% of all search engines on boards like this do NOT search by only three characters. yeah for us motorheads that is a huge issue but so far no solution but using an outside search engine's advanced features like google or bing
Thanks. I'm new here, so didn't know if it was working before or not.

Your response reminded me: For one board I was on long ago there was a way to override the minimum character setting by putting the term in quotes "M37" the search ignored the quotes, but would force a search on the 3-character term. I have no idea what that board was at this point, and haven't seen that feature since. Another would not allow small word searches unless you had a larger word as well. For example M37 would not work, but M37 Truck would work.

coachgeo

Thanks. I'm new here, so didn't know if it was working before or not.

Your response reminded me: For one board I was on long ago there was a way to override the minimum character setting ... For example M37 would not work, but M37 Truck would work.
learn something new everyday...... just tried it for shiats and grins... searched "m10" with quotes and it was a no go.. got default answer for too few search characters. Tried "M10 Trailers" and low and behold it worked.

John Mc

learn something new everyday...... just tried it for shiats and grins... searched "m10" with quotes and it was a no go.. got default answer for too few search characters. Tried "M10 Trailers" and low and behold it worked.
"M10 Trailers" (including quotes) will only find it if those two terms appear together and in that order. It would not find a post which read: My M10 is the best trailer.

The board where plain M10 would not have worked, but "M10" did work was basically using the quotes to say: I know this is too short, but search for it anyway.

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drew, any hope for the return of some of our classic emoji from the old site like :tank: and :nopics: ? Thanks.

rustystud

Does anyone know what happened to the stored items ? I'm talking about when you post pictures and documents, they all get stored in a special section that you can draw from to add to your other posts later on. I don't know how to get there now.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the upgrade, I have received about a dozen or more email notifications for logging in. I have only "logged in" 2 times that I recall.

Is there a way to stop all the emails?

John Mc

Since the upgrade, I have received about a dozen or more email notifications for logging in. I have only "logged in" 2 times that I recall.

Is there a way to stop all the emails?
Click on your user name in the upper right of the screen. Select "Preferences" and adjust your settings as desired.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks