• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2015 - Decemeber VOTE HERE

Please vote for MV of the month.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please vote here for your favorite MV of the month. And contestants, please feel free to "campaign" for votes here as well! Let's have at it!

Please campaign only in the thread, not PMing people.

1. bigmike
bigmike.jpg

2. sandcobra164
sandcobra164.jpg

3. M215
M215.jpg

4. MidwestMilitaryEquipment
MWME.jpg

5. The Stig
The Stig.jpg

6. 18operator
18operator.jpg

7. GUNNUT in Iowa
gunnut.jpg

8. Shuck906
shuck.jpg

9. MyothersanM1
myothers.jpg

10. bigflew
bigflew.jpg

11. dmetalmiki
demetal.jpg

12. ZiggyO
ZiggyO.jpg

13. gottaluvit
gottaluvit.jpg

14. Coffey1
Coffey1.jpg

15. jasonjc
jasonjc.jpg

16. theDIZ
thediz.jpg

17. jrobinson5093
jr.jpg

sandcobra164

They all are so nice looking this month!!! With that in mind, I think I'm going to vote for Coffey1 instead of my own truck. As I get older, the trucks get bigger and I'm trying to progress to where the trucks get smaller. If it were an M151, I would have voted twice already!!!

M215

Our halftrack project has been a work in process for 10 years with on only a handful of details remaining to be completed. What started out as a worn out stripped chassis has slowly come together by acquiring all the various pieces parts. Basically, this was the only way we could ever afford such an undertaking. When asked about the halftrack, I like to describe it as “Preserving history and honoring the brave”
HT chassis.jpgHT frame.jpgHT Assembly.jpgHT motor.jpgHT interior 2.jpgHT Interior 1.jpgHT side.jpgHT parade.jpg

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Indian story

This 1941 Indian was quite the project. I found it, completely civilianzed and in pretty poor shape (ran when parked???). The guy I bought it from said his dead business partner brought it back from New Zealand. I did a serial number search and the bike's serial number (engine and frame) aligned with the information I found regarding the batch of Indian bikes that went to NZ for the war effort. As I tore into the bike, I found traces of O.D. paint :grin:. I scoured the globe looking for the replacement parts needed to restore it to military-correct. I never served in the armed forces but I restore my vehicles as a tribute to all veterans. I'm just sorry there are so few WWII vets alive today who will see this bike. I really appreciate the votes and kind words.

Attachments

Foxtrot Oscar

An Aside for Ahab

Correct for the 741B Indian Ahab. Many of these bikes (And Harley's) were used by the NZ Army Dispatch Riders during WWII.

The US left many bikes, Jeeps, trucks etc behind when they departed after VJ Day. Normally there would have been a charge or Lend-Lease arrangement but it is widely known that the US Army gifted much equipment to little ol' NZ in grateful thanks for the assistance given and extreme hospitality shown, by NZ'rs to the GI's who were so far from home during training and build-up to the War in the Pacific. Most vehicles went to work on farms or in forestry.

Legend has it we even helped develop a secret safe harbour anchorage ("Somewhere" in the South Island) for the US Pacific Fleet in the event of a second 'Pearl Harbour' so they had somewhere to run to. The shore buildings are still there... The concept of Urban Camouflage was developed such that military buildings were disguised to look like something totally benign. One shore battery (North Island) looked like a holiday park from the air. The Director building (still standing) resembles an ice-cream kiosk.

Anyway... So - back to the lovely Indian before you dear people. Consider... It was: built in the USA, shipped halfway round the world, crossed the equator, served your forces and ours, (Maybe went to Europe or North Africa even. We bring our gear home as we can't afford to buy new all the time), acted with civilian dignity after being de-mobbed, repatriated (more travel & another equatorial escapade) back to the USA, languished unloved for some time, rescued and painstakingly restored by Mighty Mikes Mechanical Magic and displayed here for your voting pleasure.

How can you not VOTE FOR MIKES BEAUTIFUL BIKE ?

I have no connection to Mike but I love the fact that his bike was in my country. Thanks for supporting his entry.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct for the 741B Indian Ahab. Many of these bikes (And Harley's) were used by the NZ Army Dispatch Riders during WWII.

The US left many bikes, Jeeps, trucks etc behind when they departed after VJ Day. Normally there would have been a charge or Lend-Lease arrangement but it is widely known that the US Army gifted much equipment to little ol' NZ in grateful thanks for the assistance given and extreme hospitality shown, by NZ'rs to the GI's who were so far from home during training and build-up to the War in the Pacific. Most vehicles went to work on farms or in forestry.

Legend has it we even helped develop a secret safe harbour anchorage ("Somewhere" in the South Island) for the US Pacific Fleet in the event of a second 'Pearl Harbour' so they had somewhere to run to. The shore buildings are still there... The concept of Urban Camouflage was developed such that military buildings were disguised to look like something totally benign. One shore battery (North Island) looked like a holiday park from the air. The Director building (still standing) resembles an ice-cream kiosk.

Anyway... So - back to the lovely Indian before you dear people. Consider... It was: built in the USA, shipped halfway round the world, crossed the equator, served your forces and ours, (Maybe went to Europe or North Africa even. We bring our gear home as we can't afford to buy new all the time), acted with civilian dignity after being de-mobbed, repatriated (more travel & another equatorial escapade) back to the USA, languished unloved for some time, rescued and painstakingly restored by Mighty Mikes Mechanical Magic and displayed here for your voting pleasure.

How can you not VOTE FOR MIKES BEAUTIFUL BIKE ?

I have no connection to Mike but I love the fact that his bike was in my country. Thanks for supporting his entry.
According to my research, here is a picture of NZ Army riders, in France, riding Indian 741B motorcycles. Maybe one if these is actually my bike :wink:3 NZ military bikes.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks