• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2015 - March VOTE HERE

Please vote for MV of the month.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, no hogs in this show, but a choice has to be made.

Having followed Cranetruck's progress with his XM757 over the years, and knowing how hard it is to find (or have to make) parts for such a rare vehicle, my vote had to go to him.

Besides 8x8s are just plain cool!

Cheers

Woodsplinter

Okay folks, for everybody who votes for me I will donate $1,000 to the charity of your choice! ...any charity...your choice..That's 10 crisp Benjamin's...

m715mike

Okay folks, for everybody who votes for me I will donate $1,000 to the charity of your choice! ...any charity...your choice..That's 10 crisp Benjamin's...

Just send my Benjamin's to the "Elect Woodsplinter Foundation!"

Alright folks.... Vote for Woodsplinter's awesome Deuce! If you've already voted for Woodsplinter, just keep clicking on the poll to see if it will help!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your support 8x8 fans!
Ford wanted to make a military truck that met all possible requirements and hoped to replace the 2-1/2 and 5-tonners in that era.
It became too expensive and came with too many features, rarely needed, so only a token 500 very ordered and assigned to the "hi tech" oriented people with the Pershing 1A battalions in Germany.
The xm757 was a variant of the m656, which also could "swim" (the xm757 doesn't have the buoyancy in the rear for swimming), but can pressurize all components, including sealed brake drums for fording about 5 ft of water without preparations. The engine can run totally submerged.
Brakes are 100% air.

2014 0114 m656 xm757 drum brake.jpg

I'll describe other features as we go along.
Because of lack of parts, my truck is still very much a project with substitute fuel tanks, soft top and more.
The tires were specifically designed for this series of trucks and contribute to the performance. They are hard to find and my 757 features separate brands of which only the Goodrich was assigned an FSN. Goodyear designed an "All Service" NDCC and Uniroyal even supplied a radial, low pressure, low profile tubeless super traction NDCC (extremely rare).
2013 0816 1045 hrs, Friday, xm757 drive.jpg

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The xm757 (m656 series trucks) was designed with easy or no maintenance components, for example the LDS465-2 multifuel engine has top loaded fuel filters for easy replacement of filter elements and the primary fuel strainer is of the "scraper" kind and no filter element does ever have to be changed, just a turn of the lever does it.
2006 1030 lds465-2 top loaded secondary fuel filter, cartridge, 6 micron.jpg2008 0603 purolator fuel strainer, 50 micron.jpg2008 0620 xm757 fuel strainer output pressure, fuel pressure.jpg

I later replaced the scraper type strainer with a Racor top loaded primary filter/water separator, however. A magnetic fuel filter was also installed (of my own design).
2007 0601 racor primary fuel filter, 30 micron.jpg2013 0909 1309 hrs, Monday, clean magnetic fuel filter, particles trapped.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
There are some SUPER nominations this month, no doubt. But I think 1943ht's halftrack takes the cake. Maybe he will post some of it's history and the story of how it got back from the desert in Africa to his home.:beer:

Smokinyoda

Of all the fine contestants this month, If I had to pick one based on looks, and giving back to this great site, it would have to be hands down Bjorn and his 8x8!!!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LIGHT WEIGHT
The xm757 (m656 series) was designed for minimum weight to benefit cargo carrying capacity, floatation, air-dropability, transportability and ease of movement across off-road terrain. The total vehicle weight is 16,650 lb, with many parts made of heat treated 6061alloy aluminum.
rigged for air-drop.jpg
For example, the cab assembly is one single piece, welded in T4 and heat treated to T6 condition after completion. Weight of cab is just over 700 lb. It's boxy shape, of course, is to provide maximum buoyancy.
2010 0921 cab lift, 750 lb.jpg

The windshield stowage box can easily be handled by one man and is watertight for additional buoyancy.
2007 0610 light weight stowage box.jpg

Smaller components are also made with weight as a consideration, the oil canister bracket on the multifuel engine is aluminum, the torque rods are forged 2014-T6 aluminum.
2010 0923 Thursday, cab lift, oil filter bracket.jpg2009 0803 0800 hrs, torque rod, aircraft aluminum, 2014-t6 alloy (2).jpg

The unsprung weight is reduced by light weight, each wheel plus tire weighs only 220 lb.
2006 1026 wheel and tire weight 220lb, bf goodrich.jpg

With tire pressure at 10 psi, the impression in fresh snow is not much deeper than my own foot print.
2009 1222 snow depth, tire impression, tracks.jpg

The "07" on the bridge plate is no mistake, the low weight and the distribution over eight tires brings the weight class to "7".
2013 0429 1000 hrs, Monday, bridge plate.jpg

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cranetruck--got my vote. I was in germany 71 and happened to see one. Awsome then and awsome now. How did it get back from Germany? or did this one never make it over seas?
My xm757 came from the field artillery school in Ft Sill, the only place outside Germany where they served. Note bumper markings. Mine never made it overseas.

1943ht

I sincerely appreciate the thoughtfulness regards those who keep nominating my halftrack for MV of the Month, but request that my vehicle be withdrawn and not be nominated in the future.

I recovered the Queen from Africa with great difficulty to honor my father, Anthony, a Army Combat Engineer who served from 51-53 (Korean Combat Vet) and its recovery and subsequent preservation in-turn became the basis for a significant piece of my healing process from my own combat wounds and my current and ongoing recovery. Frankly, seeing it in this venue makes me feel a bit sad. I’m not asking for anyone's understanding, nor will I explain myself any further, but perhaps some of you who have been there will understand.

I am a tireless supporter of SS and anyone who has read my numerous posts understands my love and passion for these pieces of history my and willingness to share my thoughts, projects and support of others always, but in this case I humbly decline to participate in the MV of the Month with the "African Queen".

Respectfully,

Mark

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I fully understand Sir and I did receive your email this morning regarding your wishes. I will PM the ADMIN and ask him to take appropriate action to block or delete the African Queen from the Vote Thread.

I hope his action can also allow those who already voted for the HT to vote for another vehicle they may choose.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I fully understand Sir and I did receive your email this morning regarding your wishes. I will PM the ADMIN and ask him to take appropriate action to block or delete the African Queen from the Vote Thread.

I hope his action can also allow those who already voted for the HT to vote for another vehicle they may choose.
I have withdrawn his truck from the poll. I believe anyone that previously voted can now cast a new vote.

tankdriver

OK, since we lost 1 WW2 vehicle to vote for, vote for mine. It's a WW2 vehicle, AND was used by Norway post WW2.

So it like me it's, old and has been rode hard, and put up wet...... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks