• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2022 - May VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MVOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the MV of the month poll sponsored by Consolidated Press. If you need decals, magnets, stencils, or anything printing related, please give them a call!

Now, onto the vote! Please vote for MV of the month! Feel free to campaign in this thread, but please keep it here and not via PM.

1. DeMilitarized

2. Captiancarrier

3. hambone

4. glcaines

5. Migginsbros

6. mts678

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the M62 Wrecker has a long History on Steel Soldiers. It has been owned by at least 3 different SS members and was the reason Ron and I met back over 10 years ago. I will be posting stories during voting this month and many other such as JoeM62 and Wreckerman can also chime in on the history of "Old Yeller"

I long thread that gives some background history, click below
Old Yellar Wrecker

Last edited:

DeMilitarized

Been using this m62 wrecker for almost 10 years. It has contributed to almost everything on the farm. Went from a complete scrap pile to a restored workhorse. Everything from logging to building. This wrecker does it all. It has constructed 3 LME tents in its lifetime and moved tons of wood.
IMG_5769.JPG
IMG_3235.JPG
IMG_4922.JPG
IMG_3247.JPG
IMG_4901.JPG
IMG_4916.JPG

Last edited:

hambone

I have owned my ambulance for several years now, didn't want to start the project until I had all the original parts gathered up. That was 10 years in the making, after collecting most parts, I started this project 2 years ago. It was being used on a base as a runabout jeep, all the ambulance kit had been removed, hard top and front half of a ROPS kit had been installed. The good part was they installed the hard top with only a few machine screws, so didn't have a million plug welds to make. It had a thick layer of CARC paint that I removed with a wood chisel, many hours of scraping, had heard horror stories of removing CARC paint. Here are a few pics of the start of the project, more to follow.
IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG

hambone

So the teardown begins, rusty bolts, busted knuckles, cool beverages and a little swearing but if you put your mind to it, a one man show can accomplish more than expected and the blisters from the scraping hasn't even started.:LOL: If you look close, the jeep came with a couple of nice M38 rims.
IMG_0160.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG

Last edited:

Migginsbros

Hello to all your MV enthusiast. We campaign our " Feldumschlaggerät 2,5 t (FUG)". Its an all terrain forklift with 4 wheel drive and diff.locks. Driven by a Klöckner Humbold Deutz 6 cylinder aircooled engine direct injected 4 stroke diesel . 107 HP at 2300 rpm and 345nm torque at 1600rpm.
Trany is an automatik ZF 6speed foreward and 2 reverse with electric/hydraulic shifter. It is an all steel body with mostly up to .400 inch sheed metal which brings it up to 8,8 tons weight including all aditional on vehicle mounted stuff (exept the dozerblade). Since we get this heavy metal piece some years before we love it and we can´t imagine a life without him.
FUGcampain 026.jpgFUG 009.jpgIMG_0884.jpgriseranchero 011.jpgenfields martin 017.jpg

Pictures from the special additional stuff like Cranehook or dozerblate will follow.
Thanks for voting.

Last edited:

Migginsbros

The Migginsbros Steinbock FUG 2,5 Y4 forklift fugbolzenstrasseverlaengerung 004.jpg fugbolzenstrasseverlaengerung 008.jpg was build to drive also in convoy. Due to the rule that every vehicle in the convoy must take two armed soldiers the special dual cap was develloped.FUGtanken 001.jpg
For street use it is nececary to tilt the mast totally back between the cabins. Then it is possible to install the onbord stored front bumper and drive street legal at 30 miles/hour in puplic traffic.FUGtanken 004.jpg
Anyway, driving this no suspension, rear axel steering, 8.8 ton heavy thing fast on the road requires plenty of attention and some courage.
Still it is an eyecatcher on patrol station.
Even it is possible to ride it on the street you are better to piggyback it on a truck. alles ab winterhike2014 1386.jpgThis climbing task is performed by this MV very easy on its own.
Another feature is to slide the forks horizontal 6 inch each side and you can tilt the forks 15 degrees to level the load to the ground. fugebay5.jpg

hambone

Thought I had more pics of the paint removal(the fun part), I hate CARC paint:LOL:, took it down to bare metal, primed each section as scraped it to prevent flash rust. I have a rotisserie that I made, I can hook it to the 3 point hitch on my tractor to move it in and out of the shop for sanding and painting. As you see I had an uncut rust free body to start with, only rust was surface rust, very rare to find a body in this condition.
IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0207 (1).JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thought I had more pics of the paint removal(the fun part), I hate CARC paint:LOL:, took it down to bare metal, primed each section as scraped it to prevent flash rust. I have a rotisserie that I made, I can hook it to the 3 point hitch on my tractor to move it in and out of the shop for sanding and painting. As you see I had an uncut rust free body to start with, only rust was surface rust, very rare to find a body in this condition.
View attachment 868057
View attachment 868058
View attachment 868059
View attachment 868060
View attachment 868061
View attachment 868062
View attachment 868063
All the way down to the frame! It's no wonder that she looks so good in the finished pictures... Really amazing work!

hambone

Time to head outside for a paint job, 3 coats of red oxide primer and 3 coats of Gillespie 24087, this was sprayed with a $15 Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun, being a backyard painter, I didn't know the difference. Think I sprayed it at 16psi at the gun, turned out better than expected, unlike the military, I was somehow lucky enough to avoid any runs. :LOL:
IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks