• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering wheel cover? anyone use one?

NormB

Been all over the web looking for one.

Looking for simple, leather, that will lace on and fit a small-circumference wheel like the one on our beloved HMMWVs which reminds me of the wheel on my first car, and English Ford Cortina.

My wheel's dissolving. I did some searching on this, last post was from around 2013 on "Gorilla snot" and I laughed out loud 'cause that's exactly what I thought after I'd gotten home yesterday from a road test/BBQ run.

Happened before, I scrubbed down the wheel, but I really think the plastic's degrading and needs replacing (and no guarantee that NOS will be any better) or covering.

Wheel spec is for 14.25", but 14" will stretch/fit. Don't mind lacing either.

Wheelskins makes one custom fit for $62 which I may wind up getting. Considering the cost for some of the upgrades/doodads on this truck, $62 is a drop in the bucket.

I'm thinking like $20-$30 for a dead Chinese cow leather model, but leather 'cause I don't like the feel of synthetics against my skin and again, those will break down.

Anyone?

Last edited:

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
image.jpgimage.jpgWhy not just wrap it with paracord like I did to my M923. Took 100' to do my wheel which was really cracked. Looks and works great. Choose what ever color you like.

NormB

THAT is awesome. I've got several hundred feet of 550 cord around, it might do the trick, seems to have with yours.

I'll give it some thought.

By the way, what diameter is your wheel? HMMWV is 14.25", yours looks like it might be wider.

Thanks.

Awol

That paracord looks great!

I usually wrap my wheels with those old school wraps. They looks like leather with perforated holes in it, and then you wrap a plastic cord around it.

papakb

Paracord is a great fix but if you find a wheel off of a civy truck, they're leather wrapped and feel a whole lot better on your hands on long drives. They're not that expensive.

Kurt

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not leather wrap over the paracord? It would give a thicker feel and padded feel and would be cheap. H1 wheels are not inexpensive, (at least the ones I have found unless you have a source.)

Best,

T

NormB

Came out okay. Coulda shoulda practiced on the spoke overlapping in black, but it feels okay. I had 24 ft of black line left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Came out okay. Coulda shoulda practiced on the spoke overlapping in black, but it feels okay. I had 24 ft of black line left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7ff88382dc45b2ffee4b4af910c533d7.jpg

You're image.

I pasted so that in several years it won't become a dead link.

Nice job!

T

Last edited:

NormB

I just realized this morning that my pics uploaded from tapatalk aren't really uploaded, but linked.

Thanks for the reminder, and the update/upgrade.

NB

NormB

If you wrapped that is sections or cord, you could more easily retighten it if it were to loosen up over time.
next time I'll do that.

I'd also redo the spokes in OD green, something closer to CARC green; it's foliage green, something I had on-hand.

Not bad for a first-time effort.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

Kind of reminds me of a guy I knew years ago in Bavaria who road his Harley through the winter weather by wrapping his spoked wheels with ROPE - bumpeta bumpeta - worked for him. Me? First time I fell over at a stop sign slipping on ICE I parked my bike for the rest of the winter.

Wire Fox

next time I'll do that.

I'd also redo the spokes in OD green, something closer to CARC green; it's foliage green, something I had on-hand.

Not bad for a first-time effort.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

Kind of reminds me of a guy I knew years ago in Bavaria who road his Harley through the winter weather by wrapping his spoked wheels with ROPE - bumpeta bumpeta - worked for him. Me? First time I fell over at a stop sign slipping on ICE I parked my bike for the rest of the winter.
Weak sauce, man! First time I went down on the ice, I was taking some short cuts through some fence opening and had to avoid a then-unseen plowed pile of snow, crashing in my efforts to avoid it. It was an uncomfortable high-side that I'm reminded of every time I put my jacket on and see the holes it put in it.

Just a week later, I was doing some more riding through one of my favorite commute roads. It was crystal clear the day before and there was no new snow or rain overnight, but I didn't figure that the snow on the hillside beside the road would slide down and onto the road, leaving me to low-side and go down this huge hill like it was a slip-n-slide. I was able to get back up just as soon as I stopped sliding, but it felt like I was on the move on my butt for a minute! I still ride year-round, since experience has taught me where to find unusual hazards. I save all my crashing for off-road nowadays!

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weak sauce, man! First time I went down on the ice, I was taking some short cuts through some fence opening and had to avoid a then-unseen plowed pile of snow, crashing in my efforts to avoid it. It was an uncomfortable high-side that I'm reminded of every time I put my jacket on and see the holes it put in it.

Just a week later, I was doing some more riding through one of my favorite commute roads. It was crystal clear the day before and there was no new snow or rain overnight, but I didn't figure that the snow on the hillside beside the road would slide down and onto the road, leaving me to low-side and go down this huge hill like it was a slip-n-slide. I was able to get back up just as soon as I stopped sliding, but it felt like I was on the move on my butt for a minute! I still ride year-round, since experience has taught me where to find unusual hazards. I save all my crashing for off-road nowadays!
As an orthopaedic surgeon, let me say that I live to do surgery. I love waking up at all hours for this kinda' stuff. Your continuing to ride your bike in the Winter is awesome. I appreciate your support!

Seriously, I suggest you rethink your Winter motorcycle use.

Best,

T

Last edited:

Gunzy

I wrapped my M923 wheel in paracord too. I used a single run of cord so it in the future something required a LONG piece I'd have it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks