• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

step replacement options

Third From Texas

I think if I had to do something today.... I'd...

Cut off the existing cable step mounting boss to make the bottom of the box completely flush.

Then hang one of these underneath (I would probably shorten the drop-down a bit though)

View attachment 883035

Then I'd mount one of these on the top of the box lid for better traction, plus it would match the new hanging step....

View attachment 883037

This wouldn't solve any of my other problems, ie making it more like stairs than a ladder, or making the first step height lower, or decreasing the distance between the first and second step point... But, it's super functional, safer, won't fail to deploy and doable without much engineering.
Muh widdle bare hippy feets hurtz jus lookin at that....

;)

Like the steps on the M1079, great traction but HELL on bare feet (and I'm at the beach 90% of my life). I had to carpet over the stairs to my habitat. Even the dog wouldn't step on those things.

LOL

ymmv

Guruman

Not so new member
glad Im not only only one who does that lol

Not sure the box is strong enough for hanging something off the front w/out reinforcing the box which is likely doable.
I was kind of thinking the giant steel or aluminum angle would provide the reinforcement... ;-)
Not to state the obvious, but….. what about just replacing your old beat up step with a nicer one from a parts truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's an option, but in the end I could end up with exactly the same rusted cable issue on a step that barely functions as a step and makes zero improvement in design or function.

Guruman

Not so new member
glad Im not only only one who does that lol

Not sure the box is strong enough for hanging something off the front w/out reinforcing the box which is likely doable.
I was kind of thinking the giant steel or aluminum angle would provide the reinforcement... ;-)
Muh widdle bare hippy feets hurtz jus lookin at that....

;)

Like the steps on the M1079, great traction but HELL on bare feet (and I'm at the beach 90% of my life). I had to carpet over the stairs to my habitat. Even the dog wouldn't step on those things.

LOL

ymmv
I'm so far inland it takes me two days to see a beach. I don't expect to need to board the thing barefoot anytime soon.... But I see the point for your use case.

Guruman

Not so new member
Go big or go home!

*note that it works both open and closed

:)
That's pretty cool.

On a related note I got my replacement step mounted this weekend. Man cutting off the old cable mount was a drag. It took all the teeth right off my portaband and sawsall.

Even the old cutoff wheel struggled to cut through the cable strands in the center of the mounting boss.

All of that, and I';m not sure I like it much.... I mean it's OK, but not much else can be said.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks