• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stereo and Power Inverter Gremlins

Jerchambers

So, Doghead thought this would make a good thread. I have question I didn't feel like posting. You seem to know a lot about the electrical based off of all the posts you have about it. I am having trouble with adding a stereo to the fuse panel. I currently have a 24v inverter tapped into the rear battery terminal and grounded to the floor. I have a second but less 12v inverter plugged into the 12v cigarette lighter I installed. I used a spade connector for the lighter and plugged it into the fuse panel. I grounded it to the ground under the dash. When my engine's rpms go up, both of the inverters turn off. I don't know why. When I unplug my pig wire connection from Gen 1 then everything works fine. I replaced the fusible link for the red wire from Gen 1 (the one with the brown exciter wire). Can't seem to resolve this issue. I think my next step since I don't have a way to test it is to take it (GEN1) to my alternator guy. Am I on the right path?

mistaken1

What happens when you ground both inverters to the negative bus on the firewall (or to the front battery negative post) using the same size wires as used on the positive side?

SGT LongT

You stated that the 24v inverter is connected to the rear 24v buss on the positive side, but the negative is grounded to the frame. I would isolate the 24v inverter from the frame and connect the ground to the buss bar. The 24v system IIRC is an isolated system, but by grounding the 24v inverter to the vehicle you are pulling 24v across the entire vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks