• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stering wheel dip stick?

krall

ok I think I made a mistake the other day, sitting in a parade waiting for it to start, I pulled the rubber cap off of the stering wheel and pulled the stainless steel top piece out, Had no clue what was gonna be there, I was just messing around seeing what it was, well amost 5 ft of rod came out and it wouldn't go back in, it keeps getting stuck somewhere down the tube,

simple question, what is this is how do I fix it, cut it off and just put it in place? or is it more importantant then I think??
thanks.

pictures can be added just ask...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:p That's where you check the blinker fluid

krall

NO I didn't, don't have one, what is the purpose of a social network for military people if they cant ask a question without being told to read a ****ing tm.

Chief_919

That is the horn button push rod. Your horn button is on the bottom of the steering box, and this pushes it down.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NO I didn't, don't have one, what is the purpose of a social network for military people if they cant ask a question without being told to read a ****ing tm.
Because it is alot easier to open a book , than it is to run to the computer everytime you srew something up that you have no knowledge of .If you read the TM you actually learn something about your vehicel . What are you going to do to fix something if your internet goes out ?or are in the middle of nowhere with no phone service ?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Before this thread turns into a flame war, let me add something and then hopefully we can steer the thread back into a helpful direction.

Think of SS as not only a social network but also as kind of an advanced TM.

There is somewhat of an expectation that the poster/reader/member of SS has a baseline of knowledge from having done his reasonable amount of research.

Answering the question of what the dipstick is could easily be answered by just looking in the TM or even doing a search here (check this out: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/m38-m38a1-m170/70719-couple-problems-mt-1952-m38a1.html ).

An ideal use for SS would be a question along the lines of: "Judging from my TM's exploded diagram of the steering column, I think I've pulled my horn wire assy. completely out. The TM calls for dis-assembly of the column in order to reinstall the horn wire assy., is there an easier way?"

I think now that we've covered this, we can move on.

Thanks

C

kennys@wi.rr.com

Think there should be a data plate installed in all vehicles that says "don't unscrew this without the TM present". This is the type of issue that comes up far too often. Some one pulls something apart be it to work on it or just see how it works and doesn't have the proper back up. Let's hope that the next time someone is planning on taking something apart the remember this thread and think twice. Not to discount your mechanical abilities, but next time you want to take anything apart, have the TM on hand.

zout

"hopefully we can steer the thread" - gotta put er back together to steer.

How do you take the cover off the SS site - can I get something to pop out at me :jumpin:

Boatcarpenter

Oh woe is me. I've tried to avoid "social media" like the plague, herpes, AIDS, tuberculosis, Lyme Disease, Lou Gehrigs disease, polio and many others. Please don't say SS is social mediaaua.
Can we PLEASE just call it a great military vehicle forum:wink:.
BC

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading the info in that link, I wonder why you could not cut a thin round disc from piece of plastic(laundry bottle) and poke a hole in the center. Then, put the lower end of the horn rod through the poked center hole, and lower it into the steering shaft, automatically centering the rod. The plastic disk would not hurt anything, if left in there.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... Think of SS as not only a social network but also as kind of an advanced TM.

There is somewhat of an expectation that the poster/reader/member of SS has a baseline of knowledge from having done his reasonable amount of research.
Well said Clinto, I appreciate the clear vision of what this site is.

Rick

rdsar2k

Dipstick

I personally got a big kick out of this. I mean really this had to be a joke from the start. I think everyone is being jerked around here. Not only was the post hillarious but the testy followup "social media" thing just got me rolling. Dipstick LOL.

To add: this guy has 278 posts. He is not a newby "just sitting in a parade the other day".

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to hear an AAR from the OP.

I hope the info here helped(as well as entertained).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks