• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stolen Hummwv?

tiny110

Banned
So i hear of hummwvs that have been stolen from military bases and National Guard units. And I am looking into the possibility of getting a hummwv . Where on the Hummwv are the VIN numbers on the truck so that i can compare them with the title? And is there anyway to check the Hummwv out to make sure it is not stolen?

Jones

Compare frame number to data plate number to VIN on title. Frame and title should definately be the same. Data plate may be different if it's been seperate parts then reassembled.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's not a Marine unit, there's a chance it could be stolen. There are some others floating around that were put together from parts that are legal to own. The parts machines may or may not have a title or can get one though.

nattieleather

How many trucks out there are H1s that have been converted? I know I'm asking a vague questions but I'm wondering if some of the "parts trucks" may not have been converted H1s.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I highly doubt anybody has 100% converted a H1. They may cosmetically dress up a H1 to look military but I don't think anybody would do a full conversion. I'm fairly sure it would be cheaper just to buy a real HMMWV.

I don't think any of the parts trucks I mentioned in my previous post are converted H1s. What they are is trucks built from military parts. If you watch GL long enough you can eventually buy most of a HMMWV. It's just one piece at a time though. I see bunches of engines and tubs every now and then along with other body parts. Good luck getting a title and registration with one of these trucks.

Kind of reminds me of the old Johnny Cash song "One Piece at a Time". :)

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks
It is quite common now to see Buildups, you can get Body's all day long as well as Chassis, 6 Bolts and drop it on. In the not to distant past DRMO was selling new A2 Body's in the Crate as Scrap....but now they must be Demilled before they leave site. I have a rolling chassis and a Body coming next month, not titled...I do beleove there are no SN's on the Frames of these trucks, just the Body, and anyone can buy a dataplate,stamp it and rivet it on.
AM General will soon sell a HMMWV Kit....No Title, its a Kit car.

shannondeese

I built a hmmwv from parts. Just be careful how much you spend. It gets pricy very quickly. I titled it in Fl as a home built vehicle. The hardest part was all the small parts. I didn't use the original motor or trans or t case though. I think the current owner is trying to sell it. If I ever want another HMMWV I'll just buy one built already.

5tonfinder

Wow I never realized what people have to do to get a real HMMWV out into the civilian world, I won't take it for granite next time I see one out on the streets. Is there any chance they will become easier to get whenever the military stops using them?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any chance they will become easier to get whenever the military stops using them?
The chances are very slim. One of the problems is it doesn't pass the vehicle safety standards for the year built. We can get by with older deuces and 5-tons because the standards are different on larger trucks and they are older.

I would imagine they will have the same fate as the M151. You can buy them but they will have to be cut up into very small pieces before they will let you take it off the base.

nattieleather

The chances are very slim. One of the problems is it doesn't pass the vehicle safety standards for the year built. We can get by with older deuces and 5-tons because the standards are different on larger trucks and they are older.

I would imagine they will have the same fate as the M151. You can buy them but they will have to be cut up into very small pieces before they will let you take it off the base.
I agree with this. If you seem them at all. Forgin sales, other agency sales etc may keep us the public from getting HMMWV. Then on top of it if they do go to public sales because a new vehicle is taking it's place they will do just like the M151s sell them off in big lots 300-500 at a time and give you 30 days to part them all out crush them or mutilate them which then means only big scrap dealers will buy them and turn them into roasting pans!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am general is considering offering the hmmwv in kit form. It's called the hmmwv-c. You build it your self. They are taking $5000 deposits to gauge interest.

I love my Hmmwv. Glad I was able to get a hold of one.

Tplane37

The chances of obtaining a fully assembled HMMWV from GL or other auctions in the future is going to be slim to none, first off, Oshkosh is now refitting the older HMMWV's to improve them even more, so it is not likely the the military is going to quit using them anytime soon.

Secondly.... and Pause here to go get a tissue....

I got out of the Navy in 2005, I served on a Multipurpose Amphibious Assault Ship (Marine Corp. Taxi). I have been involved in draining the fluid of hundreds, if not thousands , of HMMWV that the military decommisioned due to damage or whatever else. The draining of the fluids was not the tear jerking part, it was WHY we were doing so. The decommisioned HMMWV's were pushed off the stern of the ship in the Pacific like buffalo over a cliff by a large inloader tractor. No matter how many officers I begged and pleaded with for the chance to have just one of the decommisioned trucks, no matter what options I said I would accept (up to and including "I'll take one in whatever condition you authorize me to aquire it in"), my requests were always denied because they do not want the HMMWV's to end up in civilian or enemy hands (or that was the excuse I was repeatedly given).

Hopefully, some day the standing orders for disposal of the HMMWV's will change, but as of 2005, the above is one of the "approved" (though abridged) methods of disposal for the Marine's HMMWV at it's end of useful life. Perhaps we could at least convince the military to drape a flag if they are going to continue burying them at sea.

Tanner

Wow... it's just a pile of parts pieced together & called a truck. Civvy H1's are available to give you your fix...

'Tanner'

tiny110

Banned
Thanks for the info! I would hate to spend 20,000-30,000 and find out that is stolen then have nothing. It alot of money for me. I would love to have a H1 or hummv. Hummv's look to be alot cheaper. The bank has given me the green light. So now its time to find the right one!

BLK HMMWV

Congrats on the green light.
I love mine.
A couple of things you need to check on besides the paperwork of the vehicle.
Check with your insurance company and see if they will insure a military HMMWV. If not shop around.
Do you live in an HOA. Some people have problems owning FMV's in HOA's.

Sometimes in all the excitment of looking for a new toy to bring home we overlook the little things. Do your homework.

Happy hunting.
Check with Ted Gates ( TED G) on this board I believe as well as the G503.com board. He's always working on a few.

BH

emr

I am just saying, I have not heard of Humvees being stolen from bases, was this from guy talk , or from news articles documenting such, i would like to see that,That is a tough sell, it is a hard thing to do first of all, As for the reason they will not be sold is safety of the vehicle, is just wrong and has been said in other posts, The H 1 has the same drive train brakes motor, The military has a zero rebuild for the first reason, second is I do not have the contract, but heard it said here, A M General did not want them sold as it would be a direct conflict of there civy sales, of the same vehicle , They have all the same features of drive ability as the H 1, There may be other conflicting reasons we are not privy to, but the safety is just a guess that cant be true or the H 1 would not have been sold to the public either. As for pleading for a decommissioned truck going over board, The reasons it would never go to anyone is not the "I guess safety is a good reason you cant have it, Just doesn't hold water, the Military follows the orders given and protocol, No one would have the authority to stop one from going over at the site, and the very very few who would would never put there career on the line for someone getting a vehicle, or anything else for that matter and have an accident , and end up getting sued and losing there job and pension, storys are told, but no one ever got a vehicle this way,

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks