• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stripped pto gear in spicer 3053 again! Now what

turnerman

years ago I installed a mk17a1 palfanger crane on a deuce chassis with a pto run hydraulic pump. It has served me well except for cold weather days when the oil is cold it will strip the teeth off the pto shaft in the transmission. The hydraulic pump probably pulls 50 hp. Yep you guessed it I forgot to warm the oil up and ruined my trans again but this time where did all the parts go? Now my options seem to be fix stripped gear if can find it, change the transmission to a 5 ton transmission and pto, or find a transfer case pto. Anybody have any leads? I would love the higher hp transfer case pto but I could buy a truck for what they want for the coupling. What do You guys think? Anyone know where I can find the pto gear? Thanks

turnerman

Yes shimmed it twice now I believe the excessive hp is what is stripping the transmission teeth off. It’s a guess of 50 hp. It will bogg the motor down if idling. I’m sure someone knows the pto hp max for a duece vs the transfer case pto?

turnerman

Thanks After seeing the hp is same as motor speed maybe it is the sudden torque of the hydraulic pump that causes gears to strip not horsepower required. I know the weak link is the transmission gear because there is no shear pin in the rear facing pto drive for the pump which has stripped two gears. To clarify the winch is on the front pto drive with shear pin.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After seeing the hp is same as motor speed maybe it is the sudden torque of the hydraulic pump that causes gears to strip not horsepower required.
Guess you misread what I posted from the TM(?) The transmission-PTO (WND-7-28 ) is only 27Hp @ 1000rpm while the transfer case-PTO (P-136-C) delivers full engine Hp.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you 100% sure that the gear lash was set properly, before these failures?
Even if he had it set correctly; after that much abuse (extended, severe overload condition), the gap between both gears involved (rev. idler- vs. PTO input (driven) gear) rapidly increases due to wear on the respective shafts and roller bearings. Add fatigue and cold temps to it and you'll have the "perfect storm"...

A customer of mine had a log loader crane powered the same way. He came to me after his 3rd catastrophic failure which also included an exploded transmission housing(!) The final cure was relocating his pump in order to connect it to a TC PTO.

turnerman

The best I can recall I followed the tm shiming the pto. I even used blue to look at teeth mesh but that was over 15 years ago so it could have worn. I also used the truck hydraulics one year to plow my fields when my tractor was broken. Highly likely wear but no way to tell when you have shreds. How much do you guys think a complete tc pto will run?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks