• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck in LA, 939 Locked in 6-wheel Drive - Ideas?

Ha! Im not whining, I just want the data, the deck is coming off tomorrow, I was hoping for more than I could figure out myself, ( removing the shaft, yadda yadda) guess Im going to be looking elsewhere for knowledge of the issue that is not rare on these trucks.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's really pretty easy. There is a thread about mis plumbed lines at the block where three air lines come together. My truck was plumbed wrong and it was a 10 minute fix. Hard to see. Use your phone to take a picture of the face of the block so you can see which is "a" "b" and "c". Then just make sure they are correct as explained in the thread. It takes a little bit to trace them over in the frame to be sure which one you are following. If you have the TMs the air chart is in the foldouts. I drive my truck for a month not even knowing it was wrong.

As as far as looking for "more than what you could figure out yourself" , since I didn't see a resume or a quick overview of what you had thought of and dismissed already people were trying to ensure that the simple had not been missed. It might be helpful to your cause to park the sarcasm.

Last edited:
Wasn't trying to be sarcastic, really, just looking for a simple explanation on the what goes where, I thought I had it but still missed it in the explanations, and did photo it and it, looks different than in the photo on threads, and needed a walk through, the I figure it out part was tearing stuff off the truck to limp it home, witch is a big option, I've learned so much from the site I thought I'd give it a go to anyone near, or in the know, new truck, and the only other military trucks in my circle are a handful of M35s so forgive me for looking for an easier way to solve my problem, as I've said in my posts above, thank you to the help given, I've got a stupid iPhone, not the best tool for research. But I'll use a better computer to look over TMs as I seemed to leave mine behind like a dummy. Now I'm going for some more shut eye before tearing into it.

It's really pretty easy. There is a thread about mis plumbed lines at the block where three air lines come together. My truck was plumbed wrong and it was a 10 minute fix. Hard to see. Use your phone to take a picture of the face of the block so you can see which is "a" "b" and "c". Then just make sure they are correct as explained in the thread. It takes a little bit to trace them over in the frame to be sure which one you are following. If you have the TMs the air chart is in the foldouts. I drive my truck for a month not even knowing it was wrong.

As as far as looking for "more than what you could figure out yourself" , since I didn't see a resume it a quick overview of what you had thought of it dismissed already people were trying to ensure that the simple had not been missed. It might be helpful to your cause to park the sarcasm.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thread proving that having an unknown truck hauled home, is the best option.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thread proving that having an unknown truck hauled home, is the best option.

Also that copping an attitude when people give good advice on getting the truck home is the best way to win friends and influence people. By my reckoning the truck would have been home by now.

ke5eua

Who cares if its in 6x6 mode, just drive it home. Can you pull the spline caps on the front axle? That would eliminate 6x6 mode.
I'm with gimpy on this one. Pulling the spline cap is equal to pulling the front shaft.

The transfer will be in 6x6 mode but won't low to bind because there is no resistance on the front output. It will always go the same speed as the rear.

What part of Louisiana are you stuck in?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Im giving it one more day and then its off to the land of military ignorance, there is way more know how down here"

You have been given sound advice with several options, of which you do not want to take, while being sarcastic on several of your posts.
I suggest you take your "way more know how down here" attitude and figure it out for yourself.

ke5eua

If all that is wrong is the transfer is engaging the front, and you have the tools, with 400 miles to go just take the 8 bolts out and put the drive shaft in the back. Even if the truck provides a little more power to the front it is so minimal that you won't notice it.

If you are losing money sitting trying to figure out an air issue, then you should have just pulled the drive shaft in the beginning and work on it in your shop when you get home.

You are loosing money because you want to loose money, I agree with 4x4, sound advice has been given to try and get you home but you want to do a full repair in a hotel parking lot.

As far as the iPhone, all I had was my iPhone on the het recovery and when I had an issue NDT, DF, and others was there to help, and I listened and got back on the road quick.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"I've got a stupid iPhone, not the best tool for research."

Hey, wait a minute, when I got my iPhone, the salesman called it a "Smart Phone"
-drive shaft would have been on the floor of the cab yesterday.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to get it home.
I would pull the air line form the transfer case air solenoid or on the switch under the dash.
Or pull front drive shaft.

Matt1970M35A

I don't like it any more then you do. But that's the way he wants it so that's the way he gets it.

You post that your broke down and need help to get back on the road.
You got the help but don't want to hit the road.
Your thread should of read 6x6 air shift plumbing problem.

Think I got it, Made it to a real computer to look at TM diagrams, plumbing topside all panned out, went to follow the advice of pulling the line under the dash but figured it would be easier under the truck at the T case, but first more testing and I found after testing the cab valve after disconnecting it there was no apparent leakage and the front was still locked in, the culprit is the A line to the hi lo selector valve was bleeding main line air through the valve to the actuating piston, the auto valve is bad and Im glad I didn't drop the drive line to figure this out.

As for the hi lo lever, it still seems to stick, with the truck off some times it works some times not, I would cycle the main power switch and then it worked, gonna work on that some more soon.

If you have a 939 truck Id give this a look, I capped the line at the frame 6 inches away, now I only have the dash valve and that's fine with me.

gimpyrob... this afternoon I got a call from a friend working motor pool and gun trucks for the Army, he said do not drive in 6x6 on pavement, you will damage the truck, I pretty much knew this from watching people wreck their civi rigs, but as long as I had him on the phone going over my plan, it was worth bringing it up.

Thanks to those with good advice, thanks to the rest of the cranky ones, at least you chimed in, it did help no matter. Im going to keep a close eye out for surprises on the way home.