• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck lug nuts

brian s

Ok so I have had this truck for about 15 years now and am trying to get the rear lugs off and can't. I know that thay are right and left handed threads I have been spraying them with oil. No luck so I bought a geared lug wrench like a lot of you guys have and still no luck heated lugs with torch still no luck getting ready to cut them off.
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thank you

Eliteweapons

Some may say this is a stupid response, but did you already try using a good 3/4 or 1" impact? The hammering action helps break the rust loose. Then you could try the geared lug wrench again.

MtnSnow

Drive the truck over to any commercial truck tire service place and have them hit them with their 1" impacts to get them moving. They will quite often do that for you for a couple of bucks.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-or is time to buy one of those handy-dandy torque multipliers, they really work. I had the same issue with an old spare deuce axle, 3/4" inch impact won't budge it. The T/Multiplier backed them right off.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any nearby members that can run by and zip them off with their 1 inch impact for you?

M925A2 with dump hoist

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isnt that what he's referring to as a geared lug wrench?

Nope, two different animals; I believe the geared lug wrench he is referring to is the mil. issue geared wrench/bar set manufactured by Ken-Tool. They work real well on lugs that have been maintained and are not frozen/over torqued The Ken-Tool does not have the gear ratio close to a torque multiplier. Google torque multiplier set, you can get the unit w/ 4 sockets under $60. They really do the job.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sears has the torque multiplier lug wrench for $49.95. Come w/ 4 sockets, they fit the M35 lug nut and square timble.

brian s

Isnt that what he's referring to as a geared lug wrench?

Nope, two different animals; I believe the geared lug wrench he is referring to is the mil. issue geared wrench/bar set manufactured by Ken-Tool. They work real well on lugs that have been maintained and are not frozen/over torqued The Ken-Tool does not have the gear ratio close to a torque multiplier. Google torque multiplier set, you can get the unit w/ 4 sockets under $60. They really do the job.
Right ken-tool is what I have. I hate to have to buy more than I need. I want to install new studs and nuts anyway and I'm thinking thay will be cheaper than a new tool

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just called a friend he is bringing a 1 inch over if that doesn't work looks like I'll be buying new studs and cutting them off
Make sure you put plenty of air to it if it's not doing the job. A good one inch impact and air compressor should likely be able to twist the studs off if they won't come loose.
Good luck!

M925A2 with dump hoist

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked at the thimbles to see if they show L or R? I've seen hubs installed on the wrong side before. Please confirm this before breaking something. If you plan on running a 1" impact, it really is best if it has half inch hose from tank to gun. Running it direct from truck air won't offer you much.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:ditto: I had a bolster where only the rear axle the drums were put on backwards R threads on the left side.

brian s

Have you looked at the thimbles to see if they show L or R? I've seen hubs installed on the wrong side before. Please confirm this before breaking something. If you plan on running a 1" impact, it really is best if it has half inch hose from tank to gun. Running it direct from truck air won't offer you much.
Yes thay are marked L&R and yes I have 1/2"air hose.it is my f*** up I should have broken them lose a long time ago. Bought from gl back in 01 so I don't know how long they have been on

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have NEVER had a mil spec geared lug nut wrench fail to work. If you haven't successfully removed them yet, try this.

Put the lug nut wrench back on, put your bars in and torque the heck out of it. Now here is the important part!

While your in a position to hold it with tremendous torque on it, have someone else take a sledge hammer and whack the whole assembly towards the rim.

That shock will pop it loose every time.

brian s

I have NEVER had a mil spec geared lug nut wrench fail to work. If you haven't successfully removed them yet, try this.

Put the lug nut wrench back on, put your bars in and torque the heck out of it. Now here is the important part!

While your in a position to hold it with tremendous torque on it, have someone else take a sledge hammer and whack the whole assembly towards the rim.

That shock will pop it loose every time.
Thanks I'll give that a try my only problem is that I'm only 145lbs and 54 years old

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks