• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Stumped by a Stump!" Bent Tie rod???

saddamsnightmare

October 8th, 2012.

Looks like someone needs to go back to offroad driving class or buy a U1300L and be done with it. If you hit a stump that hard, either you had no way to back out, or no way to build up some rocks or logs to get over it. Sorry to say, but now the pain of spending $$$$ to correct a driver error. Deuces are not tanks, and neither are M113's, but you might have done better with one of the latter.:-?
Good luck on fixing your truck, but do post the VIN on here so none of us get stuck buying it in the future...."Driven by little old man to church on Sunday...through the anti tank trap course!":gimp2:

eagle4g63

Pipe is formed from flat plate.....bent into a pipe and the seam is welded to close it..........tubing is seamless and is made that way not formed from something else...........stronger and also will hold more pressure........both internal if used for PSI and structurally as in what you are after........pipe is used for pluming things that don't need high psi and tubing is used for anything from high pressure lines to roll cages.

rolling18

October 8th, 2012.

Looks like someone needs to go back to offroad driving class or buy a U1300L and be done with it. If you hit a stump that hard, either you had no way to back out, or no way to build up some rocks or logs to get over it. Sorry to say, but now the pain of spending $$$$ to correct a driver error. Deuces are not tanks, and neither are M113's, but you might have done better with one of the latter.:-?
Good luck on fixing your truck, but do post the VIN on here so none of us get stuck buying it in the future...."Driven by little old man to church on Sunday...through the anti tank trap course!":gimp2:
I was wondering when this type of post would come!:-?

I was on a vary narrow trail and got too narrow and had to make a SHARP turn between trees. (a pickup would not Have made it). So I was forced to back out, the back slid off the edge, bumped over a 1ft. stump COVERED WITH IVY allong with the surrounding brush on the down slope side, I could only see it after getting out to look what was stopping me.
I could only drive enough distance between the front and rear axle as the stump would hit both!

so I had to do a "sea saw" like manuvers all with out power steering (bar was bent) and 48" tires!:drool:

I was at about a 30deg uphill trying to back down WHILE cutting a full lock turn to make the corner that I drove forward through....
So YES :driver:error in that I tried to go where I shouldn't have :cookoo: I was kind of "funneled" in to it.
luckily it wont cost more than about $100 (found a take off)
EXCELLENT SUGGESTION about building up the surrounding of and obstacle!! Thankyou!!
and no obviously I never took and off-road class or read enough off road magazines.
you would not believe some of the small jeep trails I completed successfully though!! with ruts as tall as the tires! and at about 45 deg.

What is a U1300l??

What is an M113??

if you are going to refrence other vehicles, Please give "common" name or description. better yet PICTURES!!!:)

Last edited:

rolling18

Pipe is formed from flat plate.....bent into a pipe and the seam is welded to close it..........tubing is seamless and is made that way not formed from something else...........stronger and also will hold more pressure........both internal if used for PSI and structurally as in what you are after........pipe is used for pluming things that don't need high psi and tubing is used for anything from high pressure lines to roll cages.
wow excellent info!! Thanks man I learn allot here..:mrgreen:

KsM715

Not quite. Alot of tubing is made from flat steel formed into a tube then welded. Speedy Metals Information for DOM Steel Tube

The reason you use tubing instead of pipe (in the case of a rollcage for instance) is it will bend and absorb some of of the force from an impact where as pipe although very strong will break rather than bend.

saddamsnightmare

October 9th, 2012.

Rolling 18:

Permit me to apologize for the tone up above, but back in West Virginia, where deuces are often still used as logging trucks, to bend the tie rods on a stump would admit you to a rare and very much harassed majority of deuce drivers known as "Stump Jumpers".

After the first stump, one always considers the way out, or the way over, the next obstacle. Building up ramps on either side of the offending stump or log, from smaller logs, rocks, or dirt gains you ground clearance and protects the soft under carriage items (tie rods, axles, battery boxes and the very vulnerable fuel tank) from contact with the said stump,log or rock. Never damage your truck, it must get you home and it costs money to fix, as no doubt you are finding out now (the Air -O-Matic can be repaired but the parts are not going to be cheap, as a new Air-O-Matic runs about $1800, give or take). Take a co-driver to act as an extra pair of eyes looking for obstructions that might damage your truck, and to help move rocks and logs or dig and pile dirt to get you out of these fixes. AND never go where the Jeeps go, they are much too small for you to follow in tight spaces or sharp turns.

Second, lose the NDCC tires (Non-Directional Cross Counrty) as they give you almost no control on side slopes in mud, loose rock, or snow, a very poor design by any standard and most other armies learned to replace them ASAP. Use MPT (Multi-Purpose-Tread) design tires, which work in mud, snow and rough terrain, however they are very noisy road tires. They will pull you out in a pinch.

U1300L Unimog, 4 ton truck:

Sorry, here's the best I can get you on that one, but they are an aces better off road truck then even our HMMWV's, more ground clearance and locking axles, the older sisters were the S404.114's, still more capable off road then most deuces and can carry 1-1/2 to 2-1/4 tons on or off road

Unimog washed out bridge - YouTube

Mercedes Unimog - YouTube

UNIMOG - YouTube

http://youtu.be/upqiq_5QmsY

Unimog S404.114:

Unimog 404 Extreme 4x4 - YouTube

Unimog S404, Belgische Armee - YouTube

The last guy got out in the end in an unconventional maneuver....

M113 APC:

M113 Ride! - YouTube

Enjoy, and perhaps the seamless tubing of the right schedule might work, ortherwise call George or Terry Kivett at White Owl Parts in Kinston, NC. They might have the parts you need.

The pictures down below are of my 1963 S404.114 in Memphis on the waterfront and in front of Elvis's Graceland on my trip from Texas to here in 2010. Unimogs of this type were almost never known to travel 750 miles on a trip, though they often complete the Paris to Dakar Rally (usually they don't win, but the pretty much always make the finish line even when more sophisticated vehicles do not).
Good luck!

:driver:

Attachments

Last edited:

rattlecan6104

Well, saddamsnightmare, your earlier post had me thinking you were pretty hard on rolling 18.. then this post, it certainly has shown a lot of character and I now have a higher respect for ya :beer:

rolling18

October 9th, 2012.

Rolling 18:

Permit me to apologize for the tone up above, but back in West Virginia, where deuces are often still used as logging trucks, to bend the tie rods on a stump would admit you to a rare and very much harassed majority of deuce drivers known as "Stump Jumpers".

After the first stump, one always considers the way out, or the way over, the next obstacle. Building up ramps on either side of the offending stump or log, from smaller logs, rocks, or dirt gains you ground clearance and protects the soft under carriage items (tie rods, axles, battery boxes and the very vulnerable fuel tank) from contact with the said stump,log or rock. Never damage your truck, it must get you home and it costs money to fix, as no doubt you are finding out now (the Air -O-Matic can be repaired but the parts are not going to be cheap, as a new Air-O-Matic runs about $1800, give or take). Take a co-driver to act as an extra pair of eyes looking for obstructions that might damage your truck, and to help move rocks and logs or dig and pile dirt to get you out of these fixes. AND never go where the Jeeps go, they are much too small for you to follow in tight spaces or sharp turns.

Second, lose the NDCC tires (Non-Directional Cross Counrty) as they give you almost no control on side slopes in mud, loose rock, or snow, a very poor design by any standard and most other armies learned to replace them ASAP. Use MPT (Multi-Purpose-Tread) design tires, which work in mud, snow and rough terrain, however they are very noisy road tires. They will pull you out in a pinch.

U1300L Unimog, 4 ton truck:

Sorry, here's the best I can get you on that one, but they are an aces better off road truck then even our HMMWV's, more ground clearance and locking axles, the older sisters were the S404.114's, still more capable off road then most deuces and can carry 1-1/2 to 2-1/4 tons on or off road

Unimog washed out bridge - YouTube

Mercedes Unimog - YouTube

UNIMOG - YouTube

UNIMOG U 435 - 1300L in der Sahara, Fahrt durch Dünen - YouTube

Unimog S404.114:

Unimog 404 Extreme 4x4 - YouTube

Unimog S404, Belgische Armee - YouTube

The last guy got out in the end in an unconventional maneuver....

M113 APC:

M113 Ride! - YouTube

Enjoy, and perhaps the seamless tubing of the right schedule might work, ortherwise call George or Terry Kivett at White Owl Parts in Kinston, NC. They might have the parts you need.

The pictures down below are of my 1963 S404.114 in Memphis on the waterfront and in front of Elvis's Graceland on my trip from Texas to here in 2010. Unimogs of this type were almost never known to travel 750 miles on a trip, though they often complete the Paris to Dakar Rally (usually they don't win, but the pretty much always make the finish line even when more sophisticated vehicles do not).
Good luck!

:driver:
Thanks for the reply back and clarification!
I would LOVE a "mog" but so would most people, but are very expensive..
I think the new crop of deuce replacements are re-badged unimogs.?

I dont have NDT's I use the Goodyear 395/ 85 MVT at tread pattern.
I believe the extra clearance prevented even more damage

thanks for the leads on the bar! i have found a couple take-offs about $100 ea

saddamsnightmare

October 12th, 2012.

Rolling 18:

The older Unimogs, like my S404.114 Swiss are fairly reasonable, not over powered, most parts are reasonable for Mercedes, just don't bend the cab sheet metal or life gets worse. The new U1300L's are pricey, but if I had the choice between a HMMWV, I'd pick the Unimog hands down... Unimog versus deuce...Unimog hands down for off road, either for on road work. And every now and then you can find a 408/412 non military Unimog for reasonable (diesel, usually 23 or 29 speed gearboxes), or an SEE (less useful as FWD, better tractor.

Keep looking, the Germans built very hardy little trucks, and they can go where even the Jeeps fear to tread (oh, on S404.114's never dream of power steering or assist, it doesn't exist as far as I know)....:(

Last edited: